Chris Roberts new project... Star Citizen

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Mountain_Puncher
x3tc

Post by Mountain_Puncher » Tue, 30. May 17, 16:17

Oh, I forgot about this game. Actually this forum is were I initially heard about SC. I was an early backer for just $35. I got the silly little plastic star citizen card too. Nov 2014 can't get here soon enough!

Corbet

Post by Corbet » Tue, 30. May 17, 18:16

Mountain_Puncher wrote:Nov 2014 can't get here soon enough!
Just for interest ... would you have liked to have Star Citizen as it was planned to be released in Nov 2014 or the one they are working on now (+Squadron 42)?

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Tue, 30. May 17, 18:56

Actually they promised Sq42 as well, they never handled the feature creep well, they said it was all planned and then said they would deliver 100% in 3 years, which is of course allot of hot air.

Allot of the grief they get is people who just hate on it but plenty is well deserved for empty promises and more and more features with nothing complete.

They should have delivered what they said they would or made a new set of goals and let the community know that they had changed it all, rather than just hoping no one would notice.

And as it is they are still a long way off a game they can publish, so there is no comparison between then and now, as now is still not complete and a one system demo does not count.

I get defending the game but there has to be balance.
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

Corbet

Post by Corbet » Tue, 30. May 17, 19:18

muppetts wrote:Actually they promised Sq42 as well, they never handled the feature creep well, they said it was all planned and then said they would deliver 100% in 3 years, which is of course allot of hot air.
I just wanted to emphasis that Squadron 42 and Star Citizen are two different projects (I'm not interested about SQ42). Most of the time people talks about Star Citizen but sometimes it feels like they means SQ42.
Star Citizen started to grow rapidly since the initial plans. It is definitely understandable that some people are disappointed and they would have liked to have much more simpler game sooner, but I personally think what CIG is working on now was definitely the right choice in the long run. If they would have released a basic space game and started to add features later I don't think they have got as much attention at all. They choosed a long and hard way but I believe it starts to pay back on Alpha 3.0 release. Hopefully those who wanted Wing Commander style of game will be eventually pleased as well.

There are justified criticism around the project (which comes mostly from the community) and lots of baseless bashing coming from certain group of people and websites.

No matter what happens in the end the project is incredible interesting to follow. They pushes lots of updates about the progress and it is always interesting to get hands on the latest patches. Unfortunately I have not tested enough to gain Evocati status yet.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Wed, 31. May 17, 03:07

Corbet wrote:If they would have released a basic space game and started to add features later I don't think they have got as much attention at all.
So is the point to get attention to fulfill the obligations :D Or ... fulfill the statements made when it was launched.

Back when I signed up there was no "First person shooter" aspect mentioned. Just a Freelancer-esque character and interaction with environment - but other than that, this was a space sim through and through.

I want the space sim. Watching some pseudo team oriented shootout in a ship/station isn't of interest; I don't want Counter Strike in space.

I'll keep being patient, but you can probably tell why I don't follow it much. Of course he may completely nail everything and it's the game everyone wants it to be. But 5 years and counting... :D So I skip the alpha as i may get the impression what i want is left behind in preference of developing stuff i don't - and then i may never revisit the game.

Best to wait.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 31. May 17, 04:34

Chips wrote:...

Best to wait.
Agreed.

As we all probably realize, traditional Explore, Trade, Fight, Think space-sims don't have a good track-record with developing FPS elements... /cough cough

Though, our favorite developer isn't the only one that may have stumbled. Other notable franchises have also attempted to add FPS elements with little or no success in providing any "value added" play opportunities.

That doesn't mean it can't be done, though. The problem is creating a game that appeals to the players who want to play it... Scope creep diluting the efforts of a developer to create good core gameplay is common.

But, SC has pretty darn deep pockets and a heck of a lot of press and hype. They might be able to do it.

I'd hate to see a pretty space flight simulator and science-fiction "walking simulator" come out of a project that is supposed to be... not just those things. There has to be something the players can do with all that flashy stuff and an interesting setting and universe in which to do it.

Corbet

Post by Corbet » Wed, 31. May 17, 08:59

Chips wrote:So is the point to get attention to fulfill the obligations :D Or ... fulfill the statements made when it was launched.
In this case, both :). They are just working on much more than what they originally planned and that wouldn't have possible without community's support.
Chips wrote:I want the space sim. Watching some pseudo team oriented shootout in a ship/station isn't of interest; I don't want Counter Strike in space.
Unfortunately I need to tell you there will be some First Person missions in SQ42 and not just flying a ship. You should be able to do them in different ways so FPS in probably not mandatory.
In Star Citizen you can play as you wish, like for example just concentrating to dogfighting.
Morkonan wrote:But, SC has pretty darn deep pockets and a heck of a lot of press and hype. They might be able to do it.
It is good to keep in mind that the money includes creating four studios which probably took good amount of money. Also working on two huge and complex games requires a lot of time and money.

I think there is actually quite less press and very rarely anything about the game itself. For some reason German magazines seems to be more interested about the game and the technologies they are using. Site like Gamers Nexus has done very good job as well.
Morkonan wrote:
Chips wrote:...
Best to wait.
Agreed.
Definitely a good advice. I would also recommend to be sceptical in a healthy way and trying out the current Alpha version during "free flight" sessions which usually lasts over a weekend or a week.

If one has interest and time I would recommend to get involved with the development. Test the game, file the bug reports, discuss with the developers and even go to meet them in BarCitizen events.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Wed, 31. May 17, 22:35

Nooo, no alpha/beta playing/testing - it'd lose it's "SHINY... SO SHINY" feel when playing when released.

Although these days many modern games suffer from chronic bugs, so that may be tempered with "GOD SAKE, FOR GODS SAKE!" reactions, playing something to death before release just means I've got used to incremental improvements. I want the full "SO SHINY!" reaction :D

I can wait. I've been waiting > 10 years for Infinity : Quest for Earth ;)

I've been waiting since Rebirth launch play to play Rebirth again. Soon.... soon I'll give it a go (Rebirth that is :D ).

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 31. May 17, 22:51

Bah, you guys are all hipsters...I was disappointed in Star Citizen before it was trendy! :wink:

Seriously, I lost pretty much all interest in the game when its rather heavy reliance on multiplayer became apparent. I backed it on Kickstarter on the assumption that it would be possible to play SC single-player, but there's no real sign of that being the case...

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 1. Jun 17, 02:03

pjknibbs wrote:Bah, you guys are all hipsters...I was disappointed in Star Citizen before it was trendy! :wink:
LOL
Seriously, I lost pretty much all interest in the game when its rather heavy reliance on multiplayer became apparent. I backed it on Kickstarter on the assumption that it would be possible to play SC single-player, but there's no real sign of that being the case...
That's a sort hard subject. I agree that an SP campaign would really be desirable. Or, at least a setup like the X games in a sort of open-world setting.

But, AAA multiplayer games bring in the big bucks and offer a heck of a lot of opportunities for "in-game sales" and push the heck out of expansion and DLC packs.

Corbet

Post by Corbet » Thu, 1. Jun 17, 08:39

Chips wrote:Nooo, no alpha/beta playing/testing - it'd lose it's "SHINY... SO SHINY" feel when playing when released.
I can wait. I've been waiting > 10 years for Infinity : Quest for Earth ;)
Now I remember that you have mentioned it couple times before already and still not a bad idea :). That's how I play all other games as well. No trailers, tutorials, etc. but a fresh game and learning by playing. I have especially enjoyed PDS's strategy games in that way. There are lots of to learn and their games feels fresh even after many years.

I guess the development of Infinity: Quest for Earth / Battlescape is still progressing nicely. I assume you have not tried it either yet?

(those who are interested in survival games I recommend to give HELLION a try).
pjknibbs wrote:Seriously, I lost pretty much all interest in the game when its rather heavy reliance on multiplayer became apparent.
Yep, excellent point and probably my second biggest worry about the game. The first one is technical issues. I'm still not absolutely convinced that they are able to solve all the technical issues. The game is just sounds so complex and ambitious that it raises concerns.

Netcode is probably most talked concern in the community at the moment.
Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 | Instancing & Server Performance

Community/players are the strength and weakness in MMO games. They can provide incredible gaming experience or ruin it totally. I have never liked much MMOs and I'm worried if I like it in Star Citizen either. Griefing, cheaters and overall very different kind of players breaks fun and immersion easily. In the other hand AI is not good enough to give "The Expanse" kind of gameplay experience with interesting interactions with characters in the game so human players are required.
pjknibbs wrote:I backed it on Kickstarter on the assumption that it would be possible to play SC single-player, but there's no real sign of that being the case...
Squadron 42 will be single player campaign. At least to me it is still unclear if it will have any sort of background simulation for economics or is it just Wing Commander style game in relatively big and open universe.

To have solo Star Citizen experience private server is needed. As far as I know it will not have as complex and big universe as Star Citizen MMO has but we will hear about it later (probably/hopefully).

raess2013
x4

Post by raess2013 » Tue, 10. Oct 17, 04:50

For all people interested in SC, alpha 3.0 is in testing and will hopefully be released until December.
The update is quite large and it is the point where "early access" starts, so I assume it will be more than a techdemo then.

The patch notes are here:

https://pastebin.com/ns8vTSp4

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Tue, 10. Oct 17, 09:39

I'm curious as to where Squadron 42 has vanished to. It was hinted that it would be released last year, then delayed to this year and... Nothing.

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Tue, 10. Oct 17, 10:11

Mountain_Puncher wrote:Oh, I forgot about this game. Actually this forum is were I initially heard about SC. I was an early backer for just $35. I got the silly little plastic star citizen card too. Nov 2014 can't get here soon enough!
I backed them for $50 back in those good old days too... Never received my star citizen card... Never had my email address transferred across to their new version of the website/fund raiser, never had any communication from them when I wanted to change my email address as I was losing the domain that the old one was attached to... Here we are 2/3 of a decade later, I'm still waiting for some communication about the money i gave them.
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Tue, 10. Oct 17, 10:36

Looking forward to this, I've been keeping my distance from SC so as not to burn out on the development process choosing instead to drop in once a year to catch up.

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Tue, 10. Oct 17, 10:43

I miss Wingman's Hanger (aka Nutz), so much of the new vid segments have never for me had the same personnel touch + I have yet to see any of them show any presentation chops bar Mr Disco Lando who I would have fronting all the vid segments. Sandy and Chris no doubt have many skills but being in front of a camera is not one of them!

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 10. Oct 17, 13:42

I haven't been keeping up to date with Star Citizen, at all. What's the current status / expectations for release?
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Tue, 10. Oct 17, 15:12

Well given that the early Alpha is still 3 months away from releasing to the pub for testing, i think a release of the main game is still 24 months away. I have seen nothing to suggest the 40+ mission (something like that) squad 42 will be out any sooner either.

I used to play Murray races and the Swarm but have not logged in for over a year and at this point I will probably not for another 18 months. Once I get an idea of when the non wipe beta is I will get stuck in.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 10. Oct 17, 17:59

Oh well, I guess it will be a while before I fly my Connie then. Thanks anyway muppetts :).
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Tue, 10. Oct 17, 21:36

Yeah your gunna need them to develop the A.I NPC's to fly the badboy properly anyway and they have not even started on that yet.

Return to “Off Topic English”