[X3AP] In the market for a carrier

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

SilusCrow
x4

[X3AP] In the market for a carrier

Post by SilusCrow » Sat, 22. Sep 12, 09:42

So I figure that it's about time to look at getting me a proper capital ship (Something my Tiger, Cobra and Cerberus to protect), and I was thinking of a carrier. This is mostly due to the fact that I plan of fielding however many Thors I can cram into the ship as I can, having seen a wing of 10's effectiveness vs Xenon.

Anyway, I was wondering, what is a good carrier to pick up for combat operations? Looking mostly for a mix of cargo capacity, hanger space and durability. Speed isn't really an issue I think, as the main fighting force will be the Thors laden down with Poltergeist missiles.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Sat, 22. Sep 12, 10:53

borrow a Zeus from dukes haven good training ground for your marines its what I do when I want a quick 60 million. las two I took came with 12 IBL,s each as a bonus
When traveling pause occasionally, look back and enjoy the moment again.

jack775544
x4

Post by jack775544 » Sat, 22. Sep 12, 11:14

I've always had a soft spot for the Raptor but one of the best all round carriers IMO is the Collosus.
1940s - Various "computers" are "programmed" using direct wiring and switches. Engineers do this in order to avoid the tabs vs spaces debate.

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Sat, 22. Sep 12, 16:54

Why not go ATF all the way and try an Odin or Woden?
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

uk.crow
x3tc

Post by uk.crow » Sat, 22. Sep 12, 17:39

Depends what you're looking for. If you want fighters go for the Colussus and you can get 60 thors on board, otherwise go for the Woden or Odin, both of which are awesome ships!

Crezeh
x3ap

Post by Crezeh » Sat, 22. Sep 12, 17:51

I'd vouch for the Tokyo. It can carry 50 fighters, more than the Woden or Odin, and it has the powerful shields typical of terran ships.

It also has a massive laser energy generator, laser energy being something carriers usually struggle with.

Mr.Elendig
x4

Post by Mr.Elendig » Sat, 22. Sep 12, 22:40

+1 for the Tokyo, if nothing else just for the looks, while the Hoshi and Raptor have a quite nice top speed. In the cargobay department, the atf offerings wins, followed by the awesome Condor and the Shark.

SilusCrow
x4

Post by SilusCrow » Sun, 23. Sep 12, 11:03

Crezeh wrote:I'd vouch for the Tokyo. It can carry 50 fighters, more than the Woden or Odin, and it has the powerful shields typical of terran ships.

It also has a massive laser energy generator, laser energy being something carriers usually struggle with.
Well my Terran rep took a bit of a hit when I accepted a mission and the enemies were Terran. Any suggestion on getting the rep back up aside from scouring the Terran sectors for missions?

Like, would buying and kitting out a bunch of Thors help my rep at all?

Crezeh
x3ap

Post by Crezeh » Sun, 23. Sep 12, 16:09

I've never seen any indication that buying ships helps rep. Maybe it does, but I doubt you can make significant progress that way.

Buying equipment for the Thors would help your rep, yes. Though only for anything you buy off Terran stations, obviously.

SilusCrow
x4

Post by SilusCrow » Sun, 23. Sep 12, 22:58

Crezeh wrote:I've never seen any indication that buying ships helps rep. Maybe it does, but I doubt you can make significant progress that way.

Buying equipment for the Thors would help your rep, yes. Though only for anything you buy off Terran stations, obviously.
Suppose that means it's mission time...*Grumble grumble*

Karmaticdamage
x4

Post by Karmaticdamage » Sun, 23. Sep 12, 23:01

If your going for as many fighters as you can get then the split raptor is the best choice. It holds the most fighters in the game at 65. Its also very fast for a m1 letting it easily stay outside the gun range of enimey destroyers.

Decius3895
x4

Post by Decius3895 » Mon, 24. Sep 12, 11:01

I Went with Colossus , Its a great all rounder with 60 Fighter Bays , and a ok Storage for missiles , Also Great Shield Strength , Don't Worry much about the laser capacities on this vessel even tho its not the best it is still Versatile at taking on other caps or heavy ships. and Im also more of the sit back and watch swarms of ships blow eachother away :)

zigelmind
x4

Tyr

Post by zigelmind » Mon, 24. Sep 12, 20:17

TYR the terran battleship has 6 x 2mj Shields and room for 56 Weapons, speed is not brilliant at 64. But my first battle against a Xenon J it Destroyed it no problem and i took no damage to mention. Maybe for some its to much and makes destroying the competition easy. I used to cruise around in a Tiger no hanger space but good at taking out enimies. Ive also got a SKIRNIR in a dock that ive yet to have a go at as i am loading it with missiles from my Terran small complex ive built, The small complex is selling small shields very well and ive got 3 x large water factories full with 46000 water that i am about to put on the market.

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Mon, 24. Sep 12, 20:44

Yeah, but a Tyr's a pure destroyer with no fighter capacity, and Skirnir's a missile frigate. Not what the OP was looking for, i.e. a carrier.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”