Hyperion... where art thou?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

cobra mk2
x4

Hyperion... where art thou?

Post by cobra mk2 » Fri, 28. Sep 12, 04:40

I've never flown a Hyperion before. Where do you get them from?
I'm reaching the point where i need to think about buying my first M6 and i fancy something a bit different this time.

I'm trying to remember and i think you need to cap or board them but i'm not sure.
I'm i right? ...do you need to cap/board them or is their an easier way?
I don't have a price for it in my notes so i'm guessing they can't be bought from a shipyard.

My only record of a Hyperion is the 'vanguard' model.
Are there any other different models ?
"Out of the dirt, into the sky"

Girlinhat

Post by Girlinhat » Fri, 28. Sep 12, 04:51

They're found in Paranid space. Cost is generally a few hundred thousand, depending on if you manage to buy your marines with or without existing skills.

Take the Ford Prefect hunting style. Sit yourself in a Paranid border sector and smile softly until your prey approaches you. Then snap its neck.

Crezeh
x3ap

Post by Crezeh » Fri, 28. Sep 12, 04:55

The Hyperion can only be boarded. They can be reverse-engineered and built at a PHQ, but are not sold in any shipyard.

And no, there is only the Vanguard model.

Coreblimey
x3tc

Post by Coreblimey » Fri, 28. Sep 12, 05:17

You can also get an Hyperion by doing the 'Poisoned Paranid' start. It is given to you on successful completion of the initial plot. :)
If it doesn't work, give it a kick. If that doesn't fix it hit it with a hammer. If it still doesn't work, USE A BIGGER HAMMER!!!

Unknown Sector..... That's what you get for using Bing instead of Google!

Jay_rod109
x3tc

Post by Jay_rod109 » Fri, 28. Sep 12, 05:19

slightly off topic, Girlinhat that reference just made my day :) .

Girlinhat

Post by Girlinhat » Fri, 28. Sep 12, 14:03

I was really hoping someone would catch it~

cobra mk2
x4

Post by cobra mk2 » Fri, 28. Sep 12, 15:44

so are they easy to board or what?

I've never bothered with boarding before apart from some experiments with spacewalking that didn't work.

should i practice on something else first?

Crezeh
x3ap

Post by Crezeh » Fri, 28. Sep 12, 16:19

It shouldn't be too hard to board.
They're just M6s, their hull is not unusually strong, so mechanic skill requirements shouldn't be anything impressive. Otherwise, all depends on how much internal defenses it has.

As far as I can tell though, it isn't any more difficult to board than any average ships for its size, which makes it easier than many ships people use for boarding-practice. (Like pirate brigantines)

cobra mk2
x4

Post by cobra mk2 » Fri, 28. Sep 12, 16:47

Crezech wrote:They're just M6s, their hull is not unusually strong, so mechanic skill requirements shouldn't be anything impressive. Otherwise, all depends on how much internal defenses it has.
The impression i get of boarding is that the internal defences are the most important factor when determining wether we should even make an attempt on a ship or not.

Crezeh
x3ap

Post by Crezeh » Fri, 28. Sep 12, 16:49

Well, for that you'll need to get a freight scanner and find out yourself if the Hyperions in your save have ISLs.

Girlinhat

Post by Girlinhat » Fri, 28. Sep 12, 16:51

Actually, they're a bit more difficult purely for their speed and turret coverage. The Hyperion has a main gun, two front turrets, and a rear gun. But those front turrets have enough coverage to act as side AND up/down guns. It has virtually no blindspot, and it has enough speed and agility that you can't stay in the blindspot.

Spacewalk boarding is tricky due to the speed, your marines move at what, 12 m/s? The hyperion goes at some 120 m/s or something. You can damage it to reduce speed, but you'll want your marines trained in Engineering to compensate. It's still an M6 so its hull isn't infinite, if you cripple it then your marines might destroy it.

That turret coverage and agility also means that it's rather likely to shoot down your marines or your boarding pods. It's a tricky catch, but if you can grab it then you can grab anything. Save often.

SilusCrow
x4

Post by SilusCrow » Fri, 28. Sep 12, 19:01

Girlinhat wrote:It's a tricky catch, but if you can grab it then you can grab anything. Save often.
Doubly so if you can cap it in a M7M.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Fri, 28. Sep 12, 19:09

Fighter drones.

I know flails are the weapon of choice when using m7ms but in this case there's too much risk of blowing it to atoms. The chief difficulty in capping an m6 with an m7m is the lower shields of the target. With a bit of finess a few mk drones and 2 pods should do it.

Oh and don't accidentaly ram the thing as I did. :headbang:
Last edited by brucewarren on Fri, 28. Sep 12, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.

SilusCrow
x4

Post by SilusCrow » Fri, 28. Sep 12, 19:11

brucewarren wrote:Fighter drones.

The difficulty in capping an m6 with an m7m is the lower shields of the target. With a bit of finess a few mk drones and 2 pods should do it.

Oh and don't accidentaly ram the thing as I did. :headbang:
Had to run through the capping thing like....ten times 'cause of the hull damage the Hype was sustaining ;_; Too many Flails D=

Girlinhat

Post by Girlinhat » Fri, 28. Sep 12, 21:27

I capped it in a Heavy Centaur. Had to reload like 20 times because it kept ramming me. Then had to reload again because autopilot rammed it into the gate.

Thankfully the habit stopped. It didn't keep ramming things. Unless I was flying it. Turns out the Hyperion makes an amazing melee weapon against M6 and certain M3, particularly Kha'ak Corvettes.

Karmaticdamage
x4

Post by Karmaticdamage » Sat, 29. Sep 12, 17:03

I used the free centaur from the AP argon plot to cap it. It comes with free marines. If it has internal defenses then that same free centaur can fit Ion disruptors to burn them off. I went with 4 cigs and 4 IonDs with the IonDs on group 1 and 2 and cigs on group 1 only. As soon as the shields were down switch to group two and fry those defenses. Once the marines made contact I used the hept turrets to keep the shields down, hitting the turret on/off hotkey once they were back down to 1%. Don't use the IonDs once the marines are onboard as you can fry them or the cargo lifesupport they insall once inside. Might have to reload a few times to get the spacewalk.

If you have a M7M its really easy. Be in a different ship other then the m7m and bring shields low. Then remote order the M7M to board. Npc ships dont seem to target boarding pods if they are launched from a M7M that your not flying yourself.

Girlinhat

Post by Girlinhat » Sat, 29. Sep 12, 17:22

On the contrary, I've had dozens of boarding pods shot down from a far-off M7M. I was capping Yaki Ryus for fun and profit, and they kept shooting down my pods.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sat, 29. Sep 12, 19:07

The Hyp is easy enough to cap if you burn the weapons off. The Ryu is a different case, because it's got multiple turrets and longer ranged guns so it shoots sooner meaning more rounds in the air and more shoot downs. Add the size which means you can't always be there to distract the guns that ARE shooting, it's a big problem.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Girlinhat

Post by Girlinhat » Sat, 29. Sep 12, 19:13

Well sure, once you burn the weapons off anything is easy to cap!

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Sat, 29. Sep 12, 20:50

*cough* Xenon *cough* :P

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”