Your thoughts on Photon Pulse Cannons?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

cobra mk2
x4

Your thoughts on Photon Pulse Cannons?

Post by cobra mk2 » Fri, 28. Sep 12, 16:12

So what do think about Photon Pulse Cannons? are they any good?

THey fire slow but are they powerful ? does anyone use them at the moment?

im playing DID so i cant reload if i dont like them, i was thinking about arming the truelight seeker with them to aid me against xenon M6's.
"Out of the dirt, into the sky"

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 28. Sep 12, 16:16

PPC are good long range capital vs capital weapons. The TLS doesn't have the laser energy to fire more than a shot or two if using them. Use Gauss Cannon and ammo for it instead.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Crezeh
x3ap

Post by Crezeh » Fri, 28. Sep 12, 16:28

The Photon Pulse Cannon is the bread-and-butter capital cannon.
Asking if it's any good makes little sense, to be honest. PPCs are the measuring block for any other capital weapon.

Photon Pulse Cannon; standard, powerful, reliable.
Ion Cannon; Higher shield damage, less hull damage, disrupts systems.
Incendiary Bomb Launcher; Slightly weaker, but still a capital cannon. Its compatibility with many frigates is what makes it popular.
Gauss Cannon; Massive hull damage, reduced range, uses ammo and so requires no energy.
Point Singularity Projector; Lower damage, high alpha. Dealing damage in occasional bursts rather than continuous fire.
Phased Shockwave Generator; Not technically a capital cannon, its ability to outperform all others makes it worth treating as scuh. It is extremely prone to friendly fire, and not compatible with too many ships.

Of all these, the PPC is pretty much the best, as all the others are either for special situations or only used by ships that are limited by compatibility.

cobra mk2
x4

Post by cobra mk2 » Fri, 28. Sep 12, 16:38

Crezeh wrote:The Photon Pulse Cannon is the bread-and-butter capital cannon.
Asking if it's any good makes little sense, to be honest. PPCs are the measuring block for any other capital weapon.

Photon Pulse Cannon; standard, powerful, reliable.
Ion Cannon; Higher shield damage, less hull damage, disrupts systems.
Incendiary Bomb Launcher; Slightly weaker, but still a capital cannon. Its compatibility with many frigates is what makes it popular.
Gauss Cannon; Massive hull damage, reduced range, uses ammo and so requires no energy.
Point Singularity Projector; Lower damage, high alpha. Dealing damage in occasional bursts rather than continuous fire.
Phased Shockwave Generator; Not technically a capital cannon, its ability to outperform all others makes it worth treating as scuh. It is extremely prone to friendly fire, and not compatible with too many ships.

Of all these, the PPC is pretty much the best, as all the others are either for special situations or only used by ships that are limited by compatibility.
yeah i know but its been a while since i last played and got far enough into the game to consider what weapons to equip an M6 or bigger and thanks for all the info but it's only the PPC that interests me at the moment.

I could of loaded up an old save file but i prefer to ask any questions i have in the forums.
"Out of the dirt, into the sky"

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Fri, 28. Sep 12, 16:55

Yes, the PPC is the staple capital weapon.

If you want to utilise heavy weapons on the TLS, load up a few Gauss Cannons and some ammo... :wink:
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

Girlinhat

Post by Girlinhat » Fri, 28. Sep 12, 16:56

PPC is pretty good, if you can hit your target. Its main drawbacks are projectile speed and energy consumption. Striking an M6 will be difficult unless you're close, and I don't think the TLS can really survive close encounters very well. (Not sure, never flown one.) I mainly use them in anti-M7 role and larger, as these targets are generally more ponderous and easier to peg.

They deal tremendous damage, but you have to actually hit the target. With the energy cost that can be a limiting factor. Gauss consumes ammo, so you can fire a lot more quickly, and that'll probably make all the difference. But if you can ever hit anything with a full salvo of charged PPC, then you can be 100% certain that the enemy is sweating.

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Fri, 28. Sep 12, 17:01

Girlinhat...?

The SAME Girlinhat I think it is?

EDIT:
Girlinhat wrote:But if you can ever hit anything with a full salvo of charged PPC, then you can be 100% certain that the enemy is sweating.
Nonono, that's what PSPs are for. Once you can oneshot M7s you know you're overpowered...
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

Girlinhat

Post by Girlinhat » Fri, 28. Sep 12, 17:55

PSP don't make the enemy sweat though. There's not enough left for them to sweat out of. And you can only mount them on Terran capitals, so their abundance and abundance of platforms is limited. Also they have incredibly low fire rate. If you miss, you're boned.

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Fri, 28. Sep 12, 18:14

Yeah but with the Osaka it's pretty much impossible to miss, you just tank your way into their face.
______
______

Girlinhat

Post by Girlinhat » Fri, 28. Sep 12, 21:15

Yeah, but how often do you fight only Osakas? I fought a Tiger. That one's fast, I wouldn't trust a PSP against it.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 28. Sep 12, 21:17

I think he's talking about the Osaka as the player ship, firing PSP's. :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Fri, 28. Sep 12, 21:44

Give me a Tiger that mounts PSPs and I will happily change my mind... ;)
______
______

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”