Albion Prelude - Peacekeeper and Merchant

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Saga286
x4

Albion Prelude - Peacekeeper and Merchant

Post by Saga286 » Mon, 1. Oct 12, 17:17

I love this game!!!

Ok, that is out of the way. I have been reading up on how to make money and so on in this game. I see some people start with the humble merchant. The question I have is, why bother start with the humble merchant and not just go as the Argon Peacekeeper?

I have played both for a little, but the Peacekeeper gives you a better ship to fight in, PLUS you are literally given 2 ships for free, A scout ship, and a bigger ship (Corvette?). This is as far as I've gotten BTW with Peacekeeper, so I don't know if you get any other ships.

Anyways, couldn't you just sell the Scout ship and use the Centaur (just remembered the name) for trading, mining, etc? Or even sell it and get whatever you want? It just seems easier to start as a Merchant with the Peacekeeper WITH the ability to follow the story if you choose to at some point.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't find the post.

Edit: Also, for some reason, the Side Missions are VERY difficult for some reason. Every single one of them. I'm not sure why they are so hard. If someone could tell me what effects the difficulty of the missions, that would be great.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Albion Prelude - Peacekeeper and Merchant

Post by Nanook » Mon, 1. Oct 12, 18:16

Saga286 wrote:I love this game!!!

Ok, that is out of the way. I have been reading up on how to make money and so on in this game. I see some people start with the humble merchant. The question I have is, why bother start with the humble merchant and not just go as the Argon Peacekeeper?...
Because different players like to experience different things. Not everyone wants to just power through the game. A lot of us like to roleplay, and playing a merchant is a lot different than playing a combat pilot. :)
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Mon, 1. Oct 12, 18:44

Both the Adv.Disco and the Centaur are also in my possession and I started as a Humble Merchant. And I always start as a Humble Merchant because I prefer to slowboat in the Mercury while the Discoverer ... discovers :)

You would be amazed by what 20 Fighter Drones can do...

Crezeh
x3ap

Post by Crezeh » Mon, 1. Oct 12, 18:56

The Advanced Discoverer and Centaur you're saying you received, those are not bound to the Peacekeeper start. Those are rewards from the main plot, players using the humble merchant beginning can do the exact same missions and get the exact same rewards.

The reason people often start as humble merchant is because it starts you out in the Argon Prime area (Herron's Nebula to be exact), where trade is plentiful and travel is quite safe.

If you start as a Peacekeeper, you can sell your starting fighter and get a mercury if you want to go trading, but you still have to travel a long, dangerous trip to get to Argon Prime.
Not that you have to go there to trade. But the only thing you gain from playing peacekeeper is that your starting ship is worth a bit more.

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Mon, 1. Oct 12, 19:12

The default standings, esp. vs. Terrans, are different between Merchant and Peacekeeper, no?

Saga286
x4

Post by Saga286 » Mon, 1. Oct 12, 19:47

I didn't know that LOL. Oops.

I was wondering where Argon Prime was and after looking a map online. I see how far away it is and now I dont feel like I want to start as a Peacekeeper anymore lol. Though if I do start as a merchant, are there any areas nearby that are constantly getting attacked by something? I do like to fight too.

Crezeh
x3ap

Post by Crezeh » Mon, 1. Oct 12, 20:36

There are Pirate sectors just to the east, starting from Elena's Fortune.
Otherwise, once you've got the resources to start fighting, you may as well get a jumpdrive off of Terracorp HQ, and then travel isn't a big deal anymore.
But it takes a bit of trading to get enough rep and funds to get a jump drive, which is why it won't alleviate the trouble of travelling from Omicron Lyrae if you started as a Peacekeeper.

And yes, reputation does vary between start scenarios.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”