KE control from your ai ship.

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Flybye
x3tc

KE control from your ai ship.

Post by Flybye » Sat, 13. Oct 12, 06:19

In X3R, I noticed if you have a fleeted ship that uses GKEs, it shoots in spurts as opposed to keeping one continuous stream. If I get into that ship, I can keep the trigger down and the GKE stays as just 1 continuous stream.

Why is it that the ai can't keep shooting the GKE continuously? Has anyone ever tried to fix that? Or is this different in TC? I haven't had a chance to mod and import the ship yet to experiment with it.

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Sat, 13. Oct 12, 06:23

Thats technically a cheat. Its pretty OP. If you ask me, the AI uses them properly. Im not aware of any mod that does what you ask.

jack775544
x4

Post by jack775544 » Sat, 13. Oct 12, 07:50

It is because the AI uses weapons differently to the player. Where the player fires continously (because you hold down the fire button), the AI only fires once per the ROF value that is defined in TLasers.
1940s - Various "computers" are "programmed" using direct wiring and switches. Engineers do this in order to avoid the tabs vs spaces debate.

Flybye
x3tc

Post by Flybye » Sat, 13. Oct 12, 13:23

I haven't edited something like that in several years.
Could TLasers be modified to make that change only with the KE on my ship or globally for the entire game so even the khaak can do it?

Cronos988
x3tc

Post by Cronos988 » Sat, 13. Oct 12, 13:45

Flybye wrote:I haven't edited something like that in several years.
Could TLasers be modified to make that change only with the KE on my ship or globally for the entire game so even the khaak can do it?
I think it's an engine limitation, the script command "fire lasers on target" will only fire if the laser is not "in cooldown", and therefore only fires short bursts.

The only solution I can think of would be to massively increase the ROF on the KEs ( and decrase damage per bullet accordingly). That way, the difference between continuous fire and burst fire would shrink.

Jack08
x3tc

Post by Jack08 » Sat, 13. Oct 12, 14:08

Cronos988 wrote:
Flybye wrote:I haven't edited something like that in several years.
I think it's an engine limitation, the script command "fire lasers on target" will only fire if the laser is not "in cooldown", and therefore only fires short bursts.

The only solution I can think of would be to massively increase the ROF on the KEs ( and decrase damage per bullet accordingly). That way, the difference between continuous fire and burst fire would shrink.
This could (and probably will) result in some extremely bad performance issues, sounds would start looping over the top of themselves so many times over you would overflow the sound buffer, and that wouldn't be good.

plus the script command will start returning far more often resulting in performance loss from that.
[ external image ]
"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible."
―Farengar Secret-Fire

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Sat, 13. Oct 12, 14:27

Cronos988 wrote:The only solution I can think of would be to massively increase the ROF on the KEs ( and decrase damage per bullet accordingly). That way, the difference between continuous fire and burst fire would shrink.
No, that looks stupid, i have tried that. beamweapons are damage over time weapons - they do damage as long as they connect to the target. There's almost no difference in damage compared to the player. But the hitchance is different, since the AI shot "stays" where it was/moves with your ship. It's only a problem with smaller targets though.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Cronos988
x3tc

Post by Cronos988 » Sat, 13. Oct 12, 15:35

Killjaeden wrote:
Cronos988 wrote:The only solution I can think of would be to massively increase the ROF on the KEs ( and decrase damage per bullet accordingly). That way, the difference between continuous fire and burst fire would shrink.
No, that looks stupid, i have tried that. beamweapons are damage over time weapons - they do damage as long as they connect to the target. There's almost no difference in damage compared to the player. But the hitchance is different, since the AI shot "stays" where it was/moves with your ship. It's only a problem with smaller targets though.
Are you sure about the damage being similar?
I remember firing an XRM Ion Cannon (Capital ship Beam weapon) manually and it seemed to be significantly more powerfull.

The Problem with the shot staying where it is can probably be fixed by reducing the lifetime, making the beam damage more "instantaneous". Of course, that also defeats the purpose of a damage over time weapon. One might as well replace all beam weapons with very fast particle weapons.

Flybye
x3tc

Post by Flybye » Sat, 13. Oct 12, 17:49

So I guess there really is no performance healthy way of telling the ai to keep the button on the trigger. An well.

As far as damage is concerned, I was always under the impression 1 gamma was never really as powerful since its like a hit scan weapon. The capital Khaaks that use them typical suck at small fast ships. But they have like, what 5-7 of em hitting a capital ship it then makes a difference.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Sat, 13. Oct 12, 20:46

The Problem with the shot staying where it is can probably be fixed by reducing the lifetime, making the beam damage more "instantaneous". Of course, that also defeats the purpose of a damage over time weapon. One might as well replace all beam weapons with very fast particle weapons.
The damage over time effect depends on the ROF, not the bullet lifetime. Lifetime only influences range in this case (ironically).
The capital Khaaks that use them typical suck at small fast ships.
Yes this is a problem of all beamweapons. Suck against small targets.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”