[Question] Reverse engineering stations

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Maegfaer
x3ap

[Question] Reverse engineering stations

Post by Maegfaer » Thu, 18. Oct 12, 15:48

I'd like to make a mod/script that allows the player to reverse engineer station kits in the PHQ to earn the blueprints to build these station kits yourself. This would be another step to allow the player to become truly independent from the major races.

The player would need to buy a station kit in a Shipyard, bring it to the PHQ with a TL, and then in the PHQ station parameters all station kits in the freights of docked ships would be listed under the "Add to reverse engineering queue". Like with ships, reverse engineering a station kit will destroy it, but in return you get a blueprint so that you can build that station kit yourself if you have the required resources in the PHQ. Building of a station kit can only be completed if a TL with enough room is docked at your PHQ.

I modded many other games in the past and consider myself a proficient scripter. I've absolutely zero experience with modding X3 though. I know there are tons of tutorials and guides available, but I've no clue where to start.

Is this idea possible at all? If yes, could someone perhaps point me in the general direction how to achieve this idea? Can this be done through scripts or do I also need to modify other files? Just a little bit of help will save me a lot of time. :)

Thanks in advance!

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Thu, 18. Oct 12, 18:05

Everything worth writing seems to be already written :) This one works just fine for me.

jack775544
x4

Post by jack775544 » Thu, 18. Oct 12, 23:12

However this will probably break in X3AP since that mod was made for TC so the hq.xm doesl does not have the Terran PHQ in it.
You can take the scripts and t files out of that mod and use its scripts but for a hq file, have a look at Apricotslices hq mod as it has been updated for AP.
1940s - Various "computers" are "programmed" using direct wiring and switches. Engineers do this in order to avoid the tabs vs spaces debate.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Fri, 19. Oct 12, 04:53

jack775544 wrote:However this will probably break in X3AP since that mod was made for TC so the hq.xm doesl does not have the Terran PHQ in it.
You can take the scripts and t files out of that mod and use its scripts but for a hq file, have a look at Apricotslices hq mod as it has been updated for AP.
Yeah, I forgot to mention this. You will need to merge changes in hq.xml from AP. I was using it only for AP myself and can upload my file if you find it too tricky. Otherwise, it will likely break for Terran plot but will work for commonwealth plot/phq.

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Fri, 19. Oct 12, 10:51

but there is a version for download there that is specifically stated to be (compatible with other HQ mods), and when I used it with XRM (which adds a whole bunch of HQ's) I had no problems at all

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”