Scanning Pirate Base

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Malachi1992
x3tc

Scanning Pirate Base

Post by Malachi1992 » Sun, 28. Oct 12, 05:36

Where the hell is the forum search button?

I started a game as Argon Patriot and got a decent ship with 4 cannons and crap speed, ran some missions for Terrans and got a Rapier with absolutely nothing on it (wonderful eh?). I followed the pirate nova to the pirate base and in my Argon Elite with 160 speed had to 'scan' the base while 4 pirate ships blew the crap out of me while I was still 5km from it.

Heretic's End or near abouts with the massive starbase is impossible to dock at -spent 30 minutes trying to autopilot dock.

I'm loving this experience less and less.

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Sun, 28. Oct 12, 05:44

The Extra Search button is on the right, but it doesn't work. A better solution is to plug site:forum.egosoft.com followed by your query into Google.

As to your problem, with scanning the pirate base, one silly question: did it occur to you that your ship's guns can shoot things? The poor sods who try to use the Rapier in that mission need to use what Escape Velocity players call the Monty Python Maneuver (lure the pirates well away from the station then double back around them), but your Elite shouldn't have too much of a problem just turning the pirates into free hydrogen.

As for docking at Terran stations, the best solution is a ship add-on called the Docking Computer, which when triggered within ~5 km of the berth (the docking port, not the station itself), magically teleport-docks you.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Post by Bill Huntington » Sun, 28. Oct 12, 07:17

Malachi1992, the Argon Patriot start is just average, nothing special. You negated its advantages by choosing to start the Terran campaign. You overlooked an excellent profit opportunity there, where you can actually make as much $ as you choose to by capping those Xenon Ls that are leisurely floating around. First outfit the Elite for capping by selling one PAC and getting some IREs. Those Ls are nerfed, not the real thing, so they bail easy. I usually get 2 of 4 each round. With reloads, it's not hard to get them all. Since you didn't follow the pirate Nova, the mission will repeat, and you can get some more Ls, and the mission will repeat and repeat and ...

The L is a decent M3 and you can outfit it with PBEs and 25 MJ shields from your capped ships. There should be some. Or you can sell all of it. Repair them first with your astronaut repair laser for max profit. They sell for $.5 Mil. So you can get as much start up money as you want right then.

What I like to do with this start is outfit the Elite for capping immediately and go after any Paranid TS in nearby Argon space. The big Paranid TS sells for $1 Mil, and the SY in Omicron is right there. You even gain Argon rep for attacking Paranid in Argon sectors. Then I work over to the Teladi sectors and cap some of the red Duke's ships, which usually show up there. I buy a Kestral and make the run across the Xenon sector next to Scale Plate and work over to Legend for the Jumpdrive.

The Argon Patriot start lets you get right into combat or trading or both. So it is nice that way. And the Elite is not too bad. It is pretty good compared to the Harrier you get in a few starts.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

Morkonan
x3tc

Re: Scanning Pirate Base

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 28. Oct 12, 08:44

Malachi1992 wrote:... followed the pirate nova to the pirate base and in my Argon Elite with 160 speed had to 'scan' the base while 4 pirate ships blew the crap out of me while I was still 5km from it...
Let the ships come to you, kill the M5s, run from the rest straight to the base for your scan. Or, kill them all, if you wish.

(The Rapier is an excellent M5. But, M5's are really suitable for a default player ship. For real speed, get a Kestrel.)
Heretic's End or near abouts with the massive starbase is impossible to dock at -spent 30 minutes trying to autopilot dock.
Buy a "Docking Computer." That way, all you have to do is get within 5km (Sometimes larger range with large station and down to 3k or so for very small stations.) and request to dock - You'll dock automatically, without having to deal with the approach lanes.

Terran stations are large and present navigation problems with their large hitboxes.

PS - Some missions require the player to interact with the game, often under circumstances that conflict with the stated goal of the mission.

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Sun, 28. Oct 12, 21:04

For searching the forum, as StarSword suggested, use google (link in my sig).

For that mission, one piece of advice is to get the pirates after you, then run away!!! If you lead them a good distance (20Km or more) and then head back, you should be able to build up enough of a lead to scan the base (which you do by getting very close to it and the scan starts automatically) before they catch up with you again.

Also - where autopillock gets confused, you should be able to do it yourself quicker and without crashing!! :p

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

Malachi1992
x3tc

Post by Malachi1992 » Sun, 28. Oct 12, 22:21

many thanks. Will look into that docking comp.

Joe McCracken
x3tc

Post by Joe McCracken » Mon, 29. Oct 12, 07:28

Another way to dock is do it manually. Comm them, get permission to dock, get the green positioning light, and manually fly to it. You have to be going a certain speed or less to dock, usually 40mps or less (just before you get to the green light, you can go as fast as you want until you get to the light), but it can save you lots of time over the autopillock.
I'd like to shoot you in the butt with a EBC gun, hide in the asteroids and laugh at what I done, put a blood blister upon each bun, I'd like to shoot you in the butt with a EBC gun.
Some people are like slinkies, not worth a whole lot, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

PookyMacMan
x3ap

Post by PookyMacMan » Mon, 29. Oct 12, 08:27

StarSword wrote:The poor sods who try to use the Rapier in that mission need to use what Escape Velocity players call the Monty Python Maneuver (lure the pirates well away from the station then double back around them)
That...would be me... :roll: Except I started as Terran Defender and switched my guns over since they were EMPCs. The Monty Python maneuver though works very, very well.

Ah that Rapier...used it until I got the
Spoiler
Show
Advanced Discoverer
and then used that until I got to the
Spoiler
Show
Deliver 200x Teladianium mission
when I had to get a freighter and a decent ship (got an Elite, actually, and 4 PACs) :lol: Man, I used that (spoilered) ship to kill freighters and even got a Xenon P one time, although his wingman obliterated me 5 seconds later.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Mon, 29. Oct 12, 11:01

Seems this start may be more to your style of play.
To get maximum enjoyment out of these games,it is best to play in a player role-model fashion.
Find the type of play style that suit your personality best, and play that way.

As for the commands and controls in the game, they do not always do what we as players think they should.
That is where much of the game frustration comes from.
But when we learn the controls and come to understand the game mechanics and commands better,then the game gets easier.

However,many players want more from the game ,after playing enough to understand it .So they go to the Scripts and Modding Forum for things that change the game to their way of playing.

However, make sure you understand how the game works before going that route,then you will know if a mod conflicts with the game or conflicts with another mod.

Most of all.have fun :D

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”