[AP] Ion Pulse Generator vs. Ion Disruptor (or other ideas)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Progress-M
x3tc

[AP] Ion Pulse Generator vs. Ion Disruptor (or other ideas)

Post by Progress-M » Wed, 31. Oct 12, 05:56

I have a Heavy Hydra, the sole purpose of which is to relieve Paranid warship captains of their command.

Currently I've got a battery of IonD's and a single EBC. IonD's are there to clear out the shields and the EBC to keep them down while the marines are enroute. The weapon generator is handling the IonD's beautifully and as I've been only capping M6's and TM's so far it hasn't taken me too long to destroy the shields this way.

However, once my marines are up to it in Mech skill, I plan to start going for heavier targets and I expect the IonD's to be a bit on the slow side in taking out the shields. I thought I'd leave maybe 2 IonD's for internal defenses-frying and slap in something sturdier for the alpha strike?

How does the Ion Pulse Generator stack up for this role? I'm looking at IPG and the Concussion Impulse Generator and will probably just need to try out both but thought I'd check people's experience.

So basically, looking for a HH loadout for capture ship-missions, specifically a weapon to take down shields as quickly as possible. The HH doesn't have a large cargo bay so while some dumbfire missiles would be handy, I'd rather sort out the main armament to do this.

On paper, I've deducted the following:

IPG has a higher shield damage: 12563 vs.7845 according to X3TC.ru, unsure if this is per shot or per second?
Can't see a rate of fire figure at work either so unsure which one is technically faster at taking shields out.
IPG slows target ship down a bit - could be useful for capturing if the slowing down lasts long enough, though not crucial.

However, CIG looks to have a higher projectile speed, lower energy usage/shot and also takes slightly less cargo space, which is handy seeing as the HH cargo bay is so small. Also if you need to actually kill something, CIG would probably be better.

Looking forward to your insight,

Cheers

kidfusion3000

Post by kidfusion3000 » Wed, 31. Oct 12, 08:31

i use ipgs on my griffon since they do the most shield damage, if you're going to attack things larger than m7s they'er going to take a while, but for m6-m7 you'll be ok with them,.

Cigs will chunk hull if you're attacking an m6 and some m7s which you'll want to avoid if you're using this for income and your marines have a tendancy to break stuff.

IPGs don't burn equipment as much as the disruptors so i recommend them, though your generators might struggle a bit on a hydra, not sure, i've never used one. I prefer the skiron or hyperion for m6s. i know running my FAAs and IPGs simultaneously will even empty the griffon's energy but the hydra is pretty much just its main battery as i recall. so you might be ok.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Wed, 31. Oct 12, 15:22

Best small-ship shield stripper = PBE (Pulsed Beam Emitter)

Best large-ship shield stripper = ISR (Ion Shard Railgun)
  • (Not only do they strip shields quickly, but they also reduce enemy laser energy, which improves the odds of your boarding pods penetrating turret defense).

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”