Getting the best from fighter defense.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

imortalvalk
x4

Getting the best from fighter defense.

Post by imortalvalk » Wed, 7. Nov 12, 03:27

So I tried putting some cluster flack arrays on my ship. Nice, takes out fighters like they are nothing, suddenly corvette. To big for the cfa to kill and too fast for the main guns. Np switch to concussion impulse generators. Awesome, dead corvette. Now I cant hit the fighters to well...

Brain wave! 6 cig's and 2 cfa's! Fighters go down pretty well and there is enough firepower to kill corvettes. But I think my cigs range has been reduced to the cfa's so nothing fires until the target closes to about 2km..

At least that's what I think is happening. Can anyone confirm? Is it indeed like eve, don't mix guns?

Echofinder
x3tc

Post by Echofinder » Wed, 7. Nov 12, 03:36

Depends on what guns you're using and what ship you're using it on.

For the most part, mixing guns - in a single turret - is generally a bad idea as some guns have large differences in effective range. CIG+CFA tends to result in a lot of wasted weapon energy as CFAs will try to shoot at CIG-range targets; or in your case, screw up your turret's AI.

If the ship you're piloting has a decent speed/turnrate, you're probably better off going for similar weapons in a turret and turning to keep your properly-equipped turrets to bear on different targets.

If you're playing AP, you may want to try the turret script which automatically changes weapons according to its target (Though I believe that may be a mod script.)

Unrelated: So CFAs are actually reliable now?

imortalvalk
x4

Post by imortalvalk » Wed, 7. Nov 12, 03:45

Yeah even using just 2 was taking down light fighters in 1 shot.

Morkonan
x3tc

Re: Getting the best from fighter defense.

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 7. Nov 12, 04:05

imortalvalk wrote:...Brain wave! 6 cig's and 2 cfa's! Fighters go down pretty well and there is enough firepower to kill corvettes. But I think my cigs range has been reduced to the cfa's so nothing fires until the target closes to about 2km..
Is the TC or AP?

In TC, FAAs are preferred over CFAs and mixed guns in a turret will fire as soon as something gets within range of one of them.
At least that's what I think is happening. Can anyone confirm? Is it indeed like eve, don't mix guns?
Mixing guns is fine if they have similar ranges, IMO. I mix ions and FAAs frequently for the added splash effects. CFAs and Ions would maximize the ion effects on shields, but the CFAs don't seem to have the punch of the FAAs.

As far as tracking speed and all that goes, I don't know how that works for mixed gun turrets, in case you're wondering.

IMO - There are limits to which the idea of "Min Maxing" your loadouts will help. Certain combinations are, of course, preferred. But, whether those combinations of weapons versus another will actually have a meaningful effect is usually reliant on individual encounters. Up to a point, one should definitely pay attention to that sort of stuff. But, only up to a point. I don't worry overmuch about it. Generally, in Commonwealth ships, my standard questions are "Can it mount CIGS? Can it mount FAA?" for anti-fighter support and "Can it mount PPC?" for anti-capital. For fighters, it's a mix between what's best suited for their role. Also, IS and OS combat should be considered, as well, for all ships. Decisions there are based entirely on whether you are running TC or AP.

imortalvalk
x4

Post by imortalvalk » Wed, 7. Nov 12, 04:11

Its on AP with the mod that basically makes it TC with all of AP's stuff.

imortalvalk
x4

Post by imortalvalk » Wed, 7. Nov 12, 04:18

Echofinder wrote:Depends on what guns you're using and what ship you're using it on.

For the most part, mixing guns - in a single turret - is generally a bad idea as some guns have large differences in effective range. CIG+CFA tends to result in a lot of wasted weapon energy as CFAs will try to shoot at CIG-range targets; or in your case, screw up your turret's AI.

If the ship you're piloting has a decent speed/turnrate, you're probably better off going for similar weapons in a turret and turning to keep your properly-equipped turrets to bear on different targets.

If you're playing AP, you may want to try the turret script which automatically changes weapons according to its target (Though I believe that may be a mod script.)

Unrelated: So CFAs are actually reliable now?
What mod/script is that?

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Wed, 7. Nov 12, 04:23

MARS, and we're getting well away from vanilla gameplay so let's stop before the mods wake up.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

imortalvalk
x4

Post by imortalvalk » Wed, 7. Nov 12, 04:23

Thanks lol.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”