[AP] Which sector for HQ?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Old Drullo321
x4

[AP] Which sector for HQ?

Post by Old Drullo321 » Sun, 11. Nov 12, 12:10

I am constantly thinking about where to place my HQ.
In my thoughts I consider the following ideas (unweighted):

- good looking background / no fog
- No or less minerals (enough for a little complex to support the HQ, e.g. the former "own sector quest"-sectors from TC
- peaceful (= no Xenon, pirate or nearby sectors)
- good to operate IS and OOS, no crashes and too long flight routes (bad sectors e.g. the HUB, Ministry of
Finance
- in any way useful if connected with one pair of the HUB (e.g. trade lane, or easy access for new ships and/or equipping them

In TC I placed my HQ in Ceo´s
Wellspring.

I thought about the following positions and like to hear your ideas about them or other possible good sectors:

Ceo´s Wellspring
Unknown Sector east of Legend's home

When you placed your HQ, which factors did you take into account?

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sun, 11. Nov 12, 19:33

I spent a lot of time thinking about the same question in my first game. The fact that you only have a single PHQ seems to make it a big deal.

I came to the same conclusion (CEO's Wellspring).

However, after doing it once, it became clear that it really doesn't matter. Anywhere you like is fine. Quiet is usually better, although I once used Legend's Home just fine. There were some traffic jams when I was In-Sector, although that is not common.

If you are friends with the Yaki, then it is hard to beat Weaver's Tempest; it is superbly defended. But, really, anyplace you feel like is good enough.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Sun, 11. Nov 12, 19:56

I recommend one of unknown sectors, the one to the right of Legend's Home is a good choice for a non-terran player. The reason not to use a race sector is that you might piss this race off accidentally and get your assets attacked before you can make necessary amendments.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Sun, 11. Nov 12, 20:44

My current PHQ is the uk sector east of Unseen Domain.
I have the hub in-between for access to the universe

Old Drullo321
x4

Post by Old Drullo321 » Sun, 11. Nov 12, 21:07

That was one of my thoughts too. The problem is, in comparison to TC, there are a lot less "real" unknown sectors(5)

US west of Xenon Sector 534 => Xenon at the borders. Despite I have never seen any Xenon there I dont want to cross gates with them in the HUB
US south of Xenon Sector (near Terran borders) => Xenon boarders, no choice

Three left:
US east of Legend's Home: Useful gate access (middle of universe + OTAS access)
US west of Clarity's End: no real benefits
US east of Unseen Domain: Lots of minerals, also annoying small rocks/asteroids, "neutral/natural background colors" (ship appear as they are)

Well, maybe I connect the "sector quest"-sectors via HUB, then I don't have to place the players HQ there

oddgit
x4

Post by oddgit » Sun, 11. Nov 12, 21:46

I am fond of the Unknown Sector east of Legend's Home, as well as the Unknown Sector east of Unseen Domain. The hub makes them good choices. The one next to legends home is great because it has the OTAS shipyard and a good Argon ship yard a few sectors away. Additionally SPPs in Akeela's Beacon produce at 300% so there is a convenient energy source. If i remember correctly, I have Legend's Home, Unseen Domain and Neptune linked, err either unseen domain or the east gate of Savage Spur. This leads to some interesting gate traffic.

In my main game, the PHQ and a lot of my production lives east of Legend's Home because of the Akeela's beacon power plant boost. That sector rarely has traffic in it and is pretty empty, it has a few decent asteroids in it as well.

I have considered setting up my PHQ in Senator's Badlands because i always try to be friends with the yaki, and you get a free defense force for all of your stuff as long as you stay on their good side.

Memnoch_osh
x2

Post by Memnoch_osh » Mon, 12. Nov 12, 00:19

In my TC games I placed my PHQ in Savage Spur, as I was fond of overbuilding in that sector. I never went there IS unless I had to.

For my Terran AP playthrough I chose Althes. The Orbital Defense Station there sells jumpdrives and there is plenty of cheap energy there and in Aldrin-2. I built a supply complex for the PHQ in Megnir and connected the hub to the Megnir - Segaris gate.

mulahey

Post by mulahey » Mon, 12. Nov 12, 02:45

In my first game I used the unknown sector east of Legend's Home. In my current game I placed my HQ in Distant Clouds. There are a few nice roids to support it, there is no fog and since boron fellas like me a lot, I used their slice of space this time. Other than that no special reason...

EDIT: I considered Savage Spur as well, but then it would be kinda harder to snatch Yaki TLs and make their lives miserable otherwise. I really love to toy with them and they hate me for that. So I chose the exactly opposite part of universe.
"It's time to put an end to your trek through the stars."

oddgit
x4

Post by oddgit » Mon, 12. Nov 12, 03:12

Mulahey, i try my hardest to be friends with the Yaki early on because of Savage Spur, it has a ton of good high yield roids, and for the most part built in security. I tow my mines to above the south gate and the yaki take care of any rogue elements that happen to wander in the sector.

I really liked using Avarice for my PHQ as well, the sector is huge, and empty. Minimal traffic. But, they took out the sector auction in AP, i decided against it. I am really liking the sector east of Legend's Home. Now if AP had sector takeover in vanilla i would be in heaven.

And for the original poster here is what the sector east of Legend's Home looks like.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=31469953

It is south east of the gate and a little low on the axis.

andik
x4

Post by andik » Mon, 12. Nov 12, 04:27

I'm not sure are you playing TC or AP although it matters little, I have mine in the HUB and connected gates to Patriarch's Conclusion and Heavens assertion, playing around with the Gate alignment through my game I added a Teladi/Argon divide, a Boron/ Argon divide and of course the Split/Paranid divide this introduces all Races to the HUB and makes my Stations (47) very busy, also setting the HQ to buy at expensive prices means I always have enough resources for Ship-building.

Atkara
x3tc

Post by Atkara » Mon, 12. Nov 12, 11:14

Early on, I decided I wanted my HQ somewhere remote, with minimal npc traffic. Initially, I was thinking of the unknown sector next to XS 534. But apart from being a potential, but very manageable hot zone, it also contains lots of resources. This, makes it ideal for production, not the quiet place I've had in mind.

So, I settled down for the unknown sector, next to Clarity's End.
Last edited by Atkara on Mon, 12. Nov 12, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.

Virtualaughing
x4

Post by Virtualaughing » Mon, 12. Nov 12, 12:31

A place where you can get Jumpdrives and all the eye-candy software for your homemade ships.
You can setup CLS traders with Jumpdrives so the support of minerals and all te goods for ship production/repair won't be an issue even with long distances.
X to X3 is MENU SUPERIOR!
I think Egosoft has already worked out our doom, because Xenon AI will reach the stars! :D

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”