Pirate weirdness

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

StarSword
x3tc

Pirate weirdness

Post by StarSword » Sat, 17. Nov 12, 01:18

So, I'm building my third weapons complex in the Asteroid Belt when a flight of pirate fighters wanders into the sector and decides to use another complex for target practice. Hoping to avoid having to kill them and piss off the pirates, I fly over and start scanning them to try and get them to stop shooting.

It works: they turn blue. But then, not only do they stop shooting, they actually form into a wing and just sit there for about a minute. Then they just flying around the sector more or less at random, not bothering anything at all. Right now they're flying in circles near one of the mining outposts.

WTF? Has anyone else ever seen this?
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Post by Bill Huntington » Sat, 17. Nov 12, 02:14

That is a good one!

First, they were not attacking your complex, so scanning could turn them blue to you, and still not stop them from attacking that other complex.

If you had scanned them attacking your complex, they would have reverted to their regular route. But there is probably no programming to deal with the situation you put them in. So they just fly around doing nothing. I like it!

I haven't seen that before.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Sat, 17. Nov 12, 02:39

^No, actually they were attacking my complex. EDIT: Just not the one I was building.

They spent a good hour and a half RL just flying in circles in the Asteroid Belt until the USC apparently took exception to their presence and vaped them (there were cargo boxes). Or maybe they ran into the Orbital Defense Station. I dunno; I wasn't paying attention.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

Master of the Blade
x3tc

Post by Master of the Blade » Sat, 17. Nov 12, 18:23

That's actually what pirates do all the time - it's common to see a wing of three or four fighters aimlessly wandering about a sector. Presumably when you turned them neutral, they started doing their default schtick. I've even seen a Harrier wing doing this in one of the Kha'ak sectors!
Allergic to work.

If at first you don't succeed, delegate the job to a minion.

johnnywas
x3tc

Post by johnnywas » Sat, 17. Nov 12, 23:39

btw why does scanning them turn them blue. i thought scanning people generally peeed them off

Joe McCracken
x3tc

Post by Joe McCracken » Sun, 18. Nov 12, 04:17

The Pirates in my games do the exact same thing as your describing. I can only assume that that is normal behavior for 'em.

At least they turned blue for ya!
why does scanning them turn them blue. i thought scanning people generally peeed them off
The way I see it is, it lets them know who you are. (a fellow Pirate :pirat: , in most cases, at least in my games!) :P
I'd like to shoot you in the butt with a EBC gun, hide in the asteroids and laugh at what I done, put a blood blister upon each bun, I'd like to shoot you in the butt with a EBC gun.
Some people are like slinkies, not worth a whole lot, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”