X3AP - Difference between Wing Control and Fleet Control

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

avalice

X3AP - Difference between Wing Control and Fleet Control

Post by avalice » Sun, 18. Nov 12, 03:44

Hi there, sorry if this seems to be quite a stupid question but may I know what the difference between wing control and fleet control is?

What are their respective roles? I can't seem to figure it out.

kolimbo
x4

Post by kolimbo » Sun, 18. Nov 12, 04:40

More options for fleet control. Wing control only lets you do simple things like 'Attack target A' or 'Defend sector' etc.

Fleet control you can do things like 'Invade sector', set up fleet resupply etc.

You can also take ships in and out of a fleet without trouble (whereas a wing you would actually have to remove the ship from the wing list).

This allows for more fine tune tactics when the needs arise. Once you are done just use the 'call to arms' option and every ship rejoins the fleet.

avalice

Post by avalice » Sun, 18. Nov 12, 06:36

kolimbo wrote:More options for fleet control. Wing control only lets you do simple things like 'Attack target A' or 'Defend sector' etc.

Fleet control you can do things like 'Invade sector', set up fleet resupply etc.

You can also take ships in and out of a fleet without trouble (whereas a wing you would actually have to remove the ship from the wing list).

This allows for more fine tune tactics when the needs arise. Once you are done just use the 'call to arms' option and every ship rejoins the fleet.
Isn't it the other way around for resupply? Wings have resupply wing command but not fleets.
May I know which do you personally prefer?

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 18. Nov 12, 13:18

wing commands essneitially runs the same command on all ships in the wing and acts as a single unit.

fleets run the command on the fleet commander and different ships in the fleet are given different commands depending on thier role in the fleet.

with an attack all command, in a wing, all the wing ships will attack all the ships in a sector.

with a fleet, different ships will be split into groups and set to attack different targets. So target destroyers wont attempt to hunt down fast moving fighters, fighters wont try to take out larger ships, etc

avalice

Post by avalice » Sun, 18. Nov 12, 16:23

Cycrow wrote:wing commands essneitially runs the same command on all ships in the wing and acts as a single unit.

fleets run the command on the fleet commander and different ships in the fleet are given different commands depending on thier role in the fleet.

with an attack all command, in a wing, all the wing ships will attack all the ships in a sector.

with a fleet, different ships will be split into groups and set to attack different targets. So target destroyers wont attempt to hunt down fast moving fighters, fighters wont try to take out larger ships, etc
I see, so basically for a carrier fleet (panther with 20 eclipse) I should use 2 wings and if I have a full fleet of various ship types then fleet control it is.
Thanks a lot for your help!

Quinch
xr

Post by Quinch » Thu, 15. May 14, 02:21

So, just to check - when a Call To Arms command is issued, all ships in the fleet will attempt to mirror the fleet leader's command, such as attacking a sector or a defend position command?
I wasn't banished to the moon yesterday.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”