ALT+TAB kills joystick (sometimes)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

alexdefelice
x4

ALT+TAB kills joystick (sometimes)

Post by alexdefelice » Tue, 20. Nov 12, 05:15

Hello!

Sometimes when I alt+tab out of the game, the joystick doesn't work when I come back in. I'm running Windows 8 Pro (sucks!). Does this happen to anybody else in other OS's, or should I stick to my plan of going back to Win 7? Thanks!
It's like paradise, spread out with a butter knife.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 20. Nov 12, 10:44

It has not been reported here as a frequent issue in other OSs (or even Win8). You might have to make sure that whatever you run when you Alt/Tab out does not disable joysticks or other USB devices by intention though (as say another game might).
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

alexdefelice
x4

Post by alexdefelice » Tue, 20. Nov 12, 15:31

That's a good call. However, the only other things I'm running is the Steam client and Google Chrome. (for looking things up in my favorite forum!)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 20. Nov 12, 16:11

The only things I can suggest are:

Check the start-screen box that says 'Ignore last settings and start with defaults' and then set up your joystick again.

Make sure that you are running the game and joystick driver in an Administrator account and role just in case UAC or similar is stopping your joystick driver when swapping about.

Otherwise I would suggest reporting it to MS Win8 support and see what they have to say. Maybe they know about it.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

alexdefelice
x4

Post by alexdefelice » Tue, 20. Nov 12, 17:03

Thanks Alan. If nobody else has this issue in other OS's (I never had the problem in Win 7) I'll probably just "downgrade" :wink: back to Windows 7.

I have several games that won't even run in Win 8 at all.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”