OOS M2 patrol: Megalodon?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

bps1804

OOS M2 patrol: Megalodon?

Post by bps1804 » Thu, 29. Nov 12, 13:25

Hey everyone, quick question:

I've gotten to that point where I'm thinking about heavier ships and want to use ones that would work not just IS, but for OOS patrolling as well.

From what I've gathered from the board, pretty much everyone is saying that the Osaka/Tyr are what to go with based on the fact that they can withstand the first barrage of a Q due to heavy shielding.

The problem is that I don't have nearly enough highly-trained marines to even start thinking of trying to cap one and would like to avoid the hassle (for the moment at least).

So my question is why isn't the megalodon ever really recommended? From what I can tell, it has the same level of shielding as the Terran M2s, can be mounted with a load of PPC's/FAAs, and can dock a small wing of fighters. Is there something I'm missing about this ship that makes it a poor choice for OOS patrolling?

I'm playing AP if that makes a difference.

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Thu, 29. Nov 12, 13:34

Well it's only in AP anyway!

It's a nice ship, but expensive, but it should work.
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

bps1804

Post by bps1804 » Thu, 29. Nov 12, 14:16

EmperorJon wrote:Well it's only in AP anyway!

It's a nice ship, but expensive, but it should work.
Ahh, didn't know that. I'm new to the X series and AP is the only one I've played.

Actually, another question. Is it better to keep the fighters docked in OOS combat so as to protect them and just let the raw numbers work themselves out or is there actually a significant advantage to keeping a small wing or two out for patrols?

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Thu, 29. Nov 12, 14:25

A small wing may mean they get shot at first which could allow a definite strike for your Megalodon and make it pretty much unstoppable. Of course, you'd probably have to buy a new fighter wing after every battle. :p
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

bps1804

Post by bps1804 » Thu, 29. Nov 12, 14:41

Would I be able to just use fighter drones for the same effect?

bps1804

Post by bps1804 » Thu, 29. Nov 12, 14:47

Er, I just realized those disappear after some amount of time and wouldn't really work since the first strike would have already occurred, so nevermind...

Anyway, thanks for the answers!

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Thu, 29. Nov 12, 19:07

Using a M2 for patrolling is not such a great idea as they are pretty darn slow. They are much better used in a defend position order next to a jump gate. M7s make a better choice for patrolling sectors. :wink:

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Thu, 29. Nov 12, 20:05

Rule Number One for AI Ships: The last surviving ship wins. (That is usually the ship with the strongest shields.)

M2's: Tyr, Osaka, Kyoto, Megalodon, Xenon I -- all are good.

Shrike stands out among M7's. A pair of Shrikes is even better in dangerous sectors.

bizbag
x3tc

Re: OOS M2 patrol: Megalodon?

Post by bizbag » Thu, 29. Nov 12, 23:28

bps1804 wrote:Hey everyone, quick question:

I've gotten to that point where I'm thinking about heavier ships and want to use ones that would work not just IS, but for OOS patrolling as well.

From what I've gathered from the board, pretty much everyone is saying that the Osaka/Tyr are what to go with based on the fact that they can withstand the first barrage of a Q due to heavy shielding.
While this information is still relevant, OOS combat was adjusted for Albion Prelude, so Qs aren't the 1-shot kill machines they were in Terran Conflict; there's a little more nuance. I'm not sure how the algorithms work now, but you might not LOSE a lighter destroyer to a Q. It might still get damaged, though, which is still a bit silly, considering a Tiger can kill a Q without losing half its own shields in sector...

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Thu, 29. Nov 12, 23:50

A Q can also kill a Tiger IS. It is a dangerous "raider" type - just doesn't have the breath for a long 1v1 engagement.

But long story short: OOS combat will never work like IS combat. The systems are too different. Like trying to get a screw into a wall plug... with a hammer. It works to a degree but it's not ideal.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

bps1804

Post by bps1804 » Fri, 30. Nov 12, 03:29

SIMON POPPLEWELL wrote: Using a M2 for patrolling is not such a great idea as they are pretty darn slow. They are much better used in a defend position order next to a jump gate. M7s make a better choice for patrolling sectors.
Wait, so speed plays a significant factor in OOS? I thought since it was mostly just raw numbers at play for OOS combat and the fact that the AI obviously isn't going to evade/hit and run like a human would in a lighter class IS, the thing that matters the most is shielding and weapon damage.
DrBullwinkle wrote: Shrike stands out among M7's. A pair of Shrikes is even better in dangerous sectors.
More so than a heavy M2?
bizbag wrote: While this information is still relevant, OOS combat was adjusted for Albion Prelude, so Qs aren't the 1-shot kill machines they were in Terran Conflict; there's a little more nuance. I'm not sure how the algorithms work now, but you might not LOSE a lighter destroyer to a Q. It might still get damaged, though, which is still a bit silly, considering a Tiger can kill a Q without losing half its own shields in sector...
Still, hull repairs are expensive and I'm definitely not going to sit outside an M7 with a repair laser for 5 hours...

Plus there's equipment loss and those IBL's are a pain in the ass to get.

I'm basically trying to find a group of ships that would be able to fend off most attacks without having to replace one every few days. Replacing fighters isn't too much of a hassle though as long as I don't need to repurchase 20 M3's or something every battle.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Fri, 30. Nov 12, 04:18

Speed is mostly important for getting to the battle. A Xenon task force with Q's might outrun an M2, but will probably not outrun most fully-tuned M7's. However, if your M2 is near whatever you want to defend, then the enemy will fly toward it, so speed will not matter at all.

Are two Shrikes better than one M2? *Shrug* I don't know. I meant that two Shrikes are better than one.

Looking at the specs, I see that my favorite player-M7, Deimos, actually has heavier shields. So maybe I should try it for OOS duty, as well.

What will work best for you? You'll have to try it in your game. I play a heavily combat-oriented game, so a single M2 would definitely be insufficient in my game, although I would expect it to perform better in a vanilla game.

Don't worry too much about it... you can always add more ships.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Fri, 30. Nov 12, 10:59

bps1804 wrote:
SIMON POPPLEWELL wrote: Using a M2 for patrolling is not such a great idea as they are pretty darn slow. They are much better used in a defend position order next to a jump gate. M7s make a better choice for patrolling sectors.
Wait, so speed plays a significant factor in OOS? I thought since it was mostly just raw numbers at play for OOS combat and the fact that the AI obviously isn't going to evade/hit and run like a human would in a lighter class IS, the thing that matters the most is shielding and weapon damage.
Well an OOS M2 will try to attack any hostiles, which means it will try to chase an M5 across a sector, failing to even get a shot off. In the mean time a more powerful enemy may well be on the otherside of the sector trashing you complex. M2s are really for defending strategic points in a sector rather than patrolling a sector. M7s are faster and have enough fire power to deal most threats. A Deimos or Agamemnon fill the patrol role quite well.

bps1804

Post by bps1804 » Fri, 30. Nov 12, 18:29

Ahhh, I'm an idiot...wasn't even thinking about the whole part about actually getting into the fight itself. That makes a lot more sense.

Thanks for the answers, all.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”