Space Suit Survival Kit (with Ejector Seat) [TC][AP]

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Space Suit Survival Kit (with Ejector Seat) [TC][AP]

Post by DrBullwinkle » Mon, 3. Dec 12, 14:26

Space Suit Survival Kit (with Ejector Seat)

[ external image ]

If "death-and-reload" seems too easy, then the Space Suit Survival Kit will give you a "second chance" to retreat and try again. Perfect for "Dead is Dead" players, or anyone who just wants a different twist on the end of the game.

Thanks to GrahamSimmons for the idea!

Emergency Space Suit Survival Kit
Adds important features to your standard space suit. It works any time you eject (Shift+E):
  • :arrow: Faster jet pack gives you a chance to escape from combat. Use strafe keys to avoid enemy fire (WASD) or do Barrel Rolls.
    :arrow: SETA and Vision Enhancement Goggles. Makes repairs easier.
    :arrow: Trading System Extension. Buy a new ship (and have it come pick you up).
    :arrow: Mineral and Freight Scanners (Do missions if you cannot afford a new ship). Remember: 2 hour Oxygen supply!
    :arrow: Transporter Device and Docking Computer.
    :arrow: A Meatsteak Cahoona and a flask of Space Fuel, in case you get hungry.

Ejector Seat
The Ejector Seat is not perfect -- you can still die from some one-shot kills and major collisions. However, if the damage is gradual, as in normal combat, then the Ejector Seat will eject you before your ship is destroyed.
  • :arrow: Alarm klaxon and flashing subtitle warns player when shields are gone.
    :arrow: Automatically ejects you when your ship is heavily damaged. (Probably)
    :arrow: Any ships docked to the player ship are automatically undocked and sent to safety.
    :arrow: Any marines on the player ship are put into escape pod(s) and sent to safety.
(Marine Escape Pods self-destruct after the marines leave (so that you do not get a "free" ship)).

Optional: Space Suit Mod
  • - Adds multiple Repair Lasers to Space Suit (number of Repair Lasers is configurable in t file).
    - Increased armor (hull plating).
    - Adds ability to mount a shield on your Space Suit.

Compatibility
  • The script portion works for TC and AP. Should be compatible with anything. Yes, even XRM.

The mod part is compatible with TC 3.2 (back to about 2.7) and AP 2.5.2 (and previous versions). The mod is also compatible with MARS, and includes the MARS drone (Goblin) changes.

The optional mod part is not compatible with other mods that change TShips, including XRM. However, the only entry changed is the Argon Space Suit (#268), so feel free to add it to any mod you like. By default, the Plugin Manager will only install the fully-compatible script parts. You have to extract the mod if you want to install it.

Installation
  • 1) The script portions can be installed with Plugin Manager or copy the contents of the archive to your game folder (X3TC\addon for AP).

2) The optional mod can be installed as a fake patch. Or, for simpler installation, extract the mod's .zip to your disk drive, then install it with the Plugin Manager.

UNinstalling
  • 1) Download and install the Uninstaller

2) You're done. Leave the scripts in your script folder until you start a new game.

(Detailed instructions for perfectionists is included in the archive).

Configuration Options
  • The t file contains several options that you can use to configure the way that this script works.
    The options all have comments. I hope that the descriptions are clear. If not, then please ask so that I can clarify them in a future release.

History
  • v1.01 (2012-12-15)
    - Fixed broken t file.
    - Escaping marine pods and docked ships now attempt to jump to a safe sector before trying to dock at a safe station.

v1.00 First Release, Bullwinkle (2012-12-03)

* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Links [ external image ]
Last edited by DrBullwinkle on Fri, 20. Dec 13, 08:59, edited 20 times in total.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Mon, 3. Dec 12, 14:43

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Mon, 3. Dec 12, 14:43

TouchMyNipple
x4

Post by TouchMyNipple » Mon, 3. Dec 12, 15:04

Nice one. What happens if sector police catch your ship with space fuel and kick your butt, then you eject into space and they scan your spacesuit and find a bottle of space fuel?
Haste-whip TrixX!

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Mon, 3. Dec 12, 15:09

No problem. The Emergency Survival Kit is military grade, with a shielded compartment to conceal your personal flask of space fuel. The flask is not large enough to sell, anyway, so it should not be detectable by scanners.

Probably. ;)

TouchMyNipple
x4

Post by TouchMyNipple » Mon, 3. Dec 12, 16:01

The whole advretising campaign reminds me of Russian space authorities. They also always say that something is likely to happen. Or "will-not-happen-no-matter-what, probably"... And most of the time when i heard speeches like that, authorities failed to foresee.
I am begining to be afraid of you, Dr.
Haste-whip TrixX!

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Mon, 3. Dec 12, 16:07

TouchMyNipple wrote:The whole advretising campaign reminds me of Russian space authorities. They also always say that something is likely to happen. Or "will-not-happen-no-matter-what, probably"... And most of the time when i heard speeches like that, authorities failed to foresee.
I am begining to be afraid of you, Dr.
only of our space authority? come on the entire country is like that :D, the only thing that is certain is that funds will be at least partially stolen, or fully, probably :D

on topic: sounds great! such a thing would have greatly helped me on one occasion I had :), also it allows to play much riskier (I hate reloading - and often restart after dying -> with this mod I can unleash the crazy and still not restart :D )

you seem to be on the "great script creating rampage" too :D - this + organic hulls, keep up the good work :thumb_up:
"If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them"

lets pretend november 15 never happened

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Mon, 3. Dec 12, 21:14

TouchMyNipple wrote:The advertising campaign reminds me of Russian space authorities. They also always say that something is likely to happen. Or "will-not-happen-no-matter-what, probably"
Hee Hee :) ... yeah, in this case, it cannot be helped. There is no way for the script editor to hook the death scene. That means that auto-pillock death from crashing into things is still possible. One-shot kills cannot be prevented, either.

The best that I can do is to "watch" hull damage and try to eject when it reaches a value set in the t file (default is 50% hull). If damage happens faster than the "watcher" loop -- then you're gonna die. Sorry!

But the Ejector Seat should work under most normal combat conditions. If you want it to be more reliable, you could set the value in the t file to eject at a higher percentage of hull.

Personally, I find the Space Suit Survival Kit very handy. With the optional mod, it makes repairs *much* easier!

@Jumee: Thanks!

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Tue, 4. Dec 12, 01:16

I received a PM question about this. In case others missed it, the default installation should be compatible with XRM and other mods. Most of the package is just scripts.

If you want the optional mod, as well, then that requires intentional installation. It could be easily adapted to other mods; please feel free to do so.

Halconnen
x3tc

Post by Halconnen » Tue, 4. Dec 12, 01:59

What I'd like is if the escape-percentage could be set dependant on ship type, at least.

50% is a very large hull number on an M2/M1 (especially with hull multipliers in the XRM on), but in case of an M5, a oneshot from 51% to 0% is very, very likely.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Tue, 4. Dec 12, 03:15

If usage reports indicate a need for multiple thresholds, then I will be happy to add them. However, I would like to see some test reports before I try to tune the Ejector Seat.

The threshold is not precise. In tests with an M7 (Tiger), a setting of 50% allowed the player to survive in about 80% of tests.

I began testing with the hull threshold set at 30% but raised it to 50% so that there would be a greater chance of player survival.

There is no way to eject the player *after* the ship is destroyed, so you have to eject well before destruction.

I could understand raising the threshold to, say, 80% for smaller ships. But a higher threshold could prevent you from flying a damaged ship at all, which is probably not desired. So my current tests suggest 50% as a "happy medium" which is probably OK for most ships.

Also, you can Alt-Tab out and change the t file at any time. Changes will take place immediately. You do not need to reload a saved game after changing the t file. (Probably. ;) )

Remember that you can manually eject when you hear the alarm. For my own game, the alarm is one of my favorite features.

Handicapd_Hippo
x3tc

Post by Handicapd_Hippo » Wed, 5. Dec 12, 01:54

Huh freaky I was just looking at LV's escape pods and wondering if there where any similar scripts and then noticed this, what are the chances? :)

WildAce
x4

Post by WildAce » Wed, 12. Dec 12, 03:43

this mod is pretty nice, but i think im going to edit the t file and remove the auto eject and leave it to doing it manually that way if i fail to eject its my fault not an auto eject system. and then i also dont have to worry about getting auto ejected from an m1/2

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Wed, 12. Dec 12, 04:09

Sure, you can do that, WildAce. Just set id=304 to zero (0). That will completely disable the auto-eject.

A less-extreme compromise would be to lower the setting to something in the 10 to 30 range. You would increase the risk of death before autoeject, but you would also reduce the possibility of ejection from a partially-functional ship.

Some things to keep in mind:

- The auto-eject only happens when shields are reduced. So, for example, if you command a damaged ship that has full shields, then you will not be ejected. In a future release, I will make the shield threshold adjustable, as well.

- The ejection alarm may be sufficient for some players. It is one of my favorite features.

- Ejection (whether manual or auto-eject) not only saves you, but it can also save your ship. Enemies will shift some of their focus off of your ship and onto you. Between the jet pack and thrusters (WASD keys), you should be able to evade most enemies.

- AUTO-Ejection further protects your marines and docked ships, by attempting to send them to a safe dock.

In the case of an M1/M2, auto-ejection could save your ship, your docked ships, and your marines!
Last edited by DrBullwinkle on Mon, 17. Dec 12, 03:08, edited 1 time in total.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sun, 16. Dec 12, 02:05

Bug Fix:

[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Bug Fix: Space Suit was not properly tuned or equipped.
  • (50 downloads and not a single person reported that half the features were not working? Seriously?!)

Enhancement: Escaping marine pods and docked ships now try to jump to a safe sector before looking for a safe place to dock.

History
  • v1.01 (2012-12-15)
    - Fixed broken t file.
    - Escaping marine pods and docked ships now attempt to jump to a safe sector before trying to dock at a safe station.

v1.00 First Release, Bullwinkle (2012-12-03)

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 16. Dec 12, 12:12

DrBullwinkle wrote:(50 downloads and not a single person reported that half the features were not working? Seriously?!)
I guess, the old scripters saw ("Incorporate a bug and you will get lots of feedback.") is not working for you anymore. Time to come up with something new. :P
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sun, 16. Dec 12, 18:54

New offer: "Free Lunch and Space Fuel" to people who submit confirmed bug reports! ;)
Last edited by DrBullwinkle on Mon, 17. Dec 12, 03:12, edited 1 time in total.

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Sun, 16. Dec 12, 21:05

Why don't you try my strategy? My strategy seems fool proof. Give specific instructions on something, and be overwhelmed with hundreds of posts of bug reports by folks who ignore those instructions completely. Try that. That should work. The basic formula is, the larger the font size and the more prominent the instructions, the more posts you get from those who don't follow them.

Nicoman35
x3tc

Post by Nicoman35 » Sun, 16. Dec 12, 22:20

@ cube :lol:

Vayde
x3tc

Post by Vayde » Mon, 17. Dec 12, 10:14

Dear Dr B. It would appear, like several on these forums, that your reputation is to blame for your current misfortune. If you regularly go out of your way to produce "Ronseal"(JFGI) :P scripts, as you have noted no one even bothers to check them.

Perhaps if you were to trash your rep with some real howlers, then possibly, people would be more cautious with your future work and give you the feed back you need :twisted:
Still life in the old dog yet...

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”