Navigating the Terran Sectors and the Earth Torus

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Navigating the Terran Sectors and the Earth Torus

Post by Bill Huntington » Wed, 5. Dec 12, 03:18

I’ve learned two things about navigating the Earth sectors over many hours of game time:
1. When I was a new pilot, the Earth sectors were a nightmare.
2. When I was a more experienced pilot, the Earth sectors were a nightmare.

Earth Torus is one of the few sources of Jump Drives in the Terran Sectors. When I have an Elephant depot ship near the Gate of the Asteroid Belt, I will run a Jump Drive shuttle with a fast ship to the Earth Torus, and jump it back. You can also safely send a ship back to Moon Sector from the Torus.

You can move your personal ship around a Terran sector without a problem. You can move your other ships around a sector if you are not in the sector. But if you are in the sector, collision avoidance becomes active. Terran sector are huge, but the Terran stations are also huge. At the Military Base in Moon sector, I dock 20+ km from the center of the station. And collision avoidance occurs if your other ships come into that zone. So if I have to move ships around in a Terran sector, I plan a route around this collision avoidance zone, usually close to the middle of the space between stations.

For docking your other ships, they get sent to beginning of the station landing pattern, and sometimes that is far out. They will dock eventually but it can take a while. If I tell a ship to follow me, sometimes it gets pushed far away from me if I am within this zone. If I tell a ship to move to a position, it will get pushed out of this avoidance zone.

When I am in Moon sector, and Terran or ATF ships spawn, they get flung all over if they spawn within this zone. I’ve seen distances of 170 km. If I leave the sector with a UF Jump, I can be flung a good distance when I return. Every other ship in the sector, both NPC and mine will be flung a random direction and distance when I come back if they are in this zone.

I hope this helps.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

bizbag
x3tc

Post by bizbag » Wed, 5. Dec 12, 05:17

In other words, try not to be in the same sector as ships that are docking at Terran stations?

Sage advice!

soulmata
x4

Post by soulmata » Wed, 5. Dec 12, 05:57

Additionally, don't let the auto pilot "dock" you at the earth torus. :thumb_down:

Skism
x3tc

Post by Skism » Thu, 6. Dec 12, 02:49

soulmata wrote:Additionally, don't let the auto pilot "dock" you at the earth torus. :thumb_down:
-Or you WILL be used as target practice..;)
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest."

-Thomas Paine-

Stephen_Garlick
x3tc

Post by Stephen_Garlick » Thu, 6. Dec 12, 06:19

The lesson that has been taught to pilots for many generations of X universe! :D

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”