Steam update.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Aitch
x3tc

Steam update.

Post by Aitch » Wed, 5. Dec 12, 20:18

Exactly the same problem as rumslinger,worked fine b4 update but now will not start X3AP or X3TC no reply from Steam post. Aitch.
Aitch

alexdefelice
x4

Post by alexdefelice » Wed, 5. Dec 12, 20:24

Same problem here, same problem with a friend of mine. Something broke X3AP badly. I verified my game cache as recommended in this forum, and now steam is re-downloading the whole game. sucks.
It's like paradise, spread out with a butter knife.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 5. Dec 12, 20:59

A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Aitch
x3tc

Post by Aitch » Thu, 6. Dec 12, 14:41

Your thread has not helped me whatsoever.I did not buy my games from steam I got them on disk from Egosoft .I do not want to go to steam they do not reply.As I said after the update both X3 games are useless.Either sort this out or give me my money back Egosoft.Aitch
Aitch

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 6. Dec 12, 14:48

With all due respect, I'm not quite sure what you are expecting someone to do. Regardless of whether you bought the game from Steam or on disk, it is still a game that only runs with Steam and is only updated with new versions via Steam.

The problem appears to have been caused by some kind of glitch with a Steam update that affected a handful of people only. The solution is to perform a Steam file verification. Nobody is asking you to contact Steam; it's an automated process.

You may also be able to solve it a less download-intensive way by reinstalling from the game disk and then verifying, but you'd be the first person to try that and report back.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 6. Dec 12, 14:50

Maybe you didn't buy from Steam but then probably you registered your TC/Superbox with Steam and downloaded their TC/AP versions for free. You are welcome to your nothing paid to Steam for them back I suppose.

Meanwhile, as confirmed in that thread, the worst case to fix both Steam games so far has been a Steam verify for each and a repair/update/replace download as necessary.

Edit: Ninja'd by CBJ.

I suspect the load from DVD or copy DVD installation Steam shortcut is less effective now that Steam have changed all their gamefiles format and so a major download may still be required now.

Aitch
x3tc

Post by Aitch » Thu, 6. Dec 12, 15:25

So what is a"Steam Verify"? In English I am not a hacker I'm 57 disabled and on painkillers full time apolagies if I upset anyone.It was not meant personally.Aitch
Aitch

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 6. Dec 12, 15:28

OK, the verify is outlined in this FAQ. Just be aware that if you have the rare issue we think you may have, then there will be lengthy downloads afterwards to repair both games. Good luck.

Aitch
x3tc

Post by Aitch » Thu, 6. Dec 12, 16:02

Sorry ! What or where do I find a "Steam Client"? I did warn you ENGLISH not simple but I am close. Ta Aitch.
Aitch

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 6. Dec 12, 16:18

When you launch X3AP you normally do so from the Steam client. It's the Steam application itself.

Aitch
x3tc

Post by Aitch » Thu, 6. Dec 12, 16:32

Nope sorry all I have ever done is double click the game icons.Now that does not seem to do anything.Thanks for your patience.Aitch
Aitch

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 6. Dec 12, 16:36

I see. You've got a shortcut set up that means you don't have to explicitly start Steam when you run the game. Well Steam should still appear on your Start menu. Select that then click on the Library heading on the Steam client that appears. From there on in the FAQ description should make more sense!

Hrodeth
x3tc

Post by Hrodeth » Thu, 6. Dec 12, 17:56

Aitch wrote:Nope sorry all I have ever done is double click the game icons.Now that does not seem to do anything.Thanks for your patience.Aitch

Aitch

What client of windows do you have? Or OSx? I'm going to assume you're on Vista, 7, or 8.

1) From your desktop, click start.

2) In the search bar type "Steam" (no quotations). If you're on win xp, you have to click "Search" to open the search bar. After you search for "Steam" it should show up. Click steam to open it.

3) Inside of steam, click "Library" to see the list of your games.

4) Find X3 Albion Prelude. Right click it and select "Properties" from that pop-up menu.

5) A set of tabs will open in steam. Click the "Local Files" tab.

6) Click "Verify integrity of Game Cache" at the bottom.

Steam will do the rest. So leave it open and your computer on. It may be a long, or short download time. But it will likely fix it.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 6. Dec 12, 17:59

... Then do the the same for X3TC. Maybe stop and restart the Steam Client after each if nothing seems to happen.

Hrodeth
x3tc

Post by Hrodeth » Thu, 6. Dec 12, 18:01

CBJ wrote:I see. You've got a shortcut set up that means you don't have to explicitly start Steam when you run the game. Well Steam should still appear on your Start menu. Select that then click on the Library heading on the Steam client that appears. From there on in the FAQ description should make more sense!
Also - I could be wrong, but if I remember, X3TC box copy no longer requires Steam so it does not need to be integrated. (I own both box copy, and a second copy purchased just from Steam).

However - X3AP does require Steam - hence a lot of box-copy owners were inquiring how to integrate with Steam to qualify for the discount (or was AP free to TC owners? Don't recall, it's been a while).

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 6. Dec 12, 18:07

@ Hrodeth: Purely X3TC box copy never did require Steam. It installs into a non-Steam folder but you do need to have a Steam copy of TC to play AP as it uses the Steam TC gamefiles as well as the X3AP 'addon folder' files. You could copy the DVD files into a Steam TC folder to save some download time (it still needed some Steam-only files to be added or changed by download) but the saving of doing that may have been reduced when Steam changed their gamefile formats a while back.

Registering your DVD copy of TC with Steam gets a free TC download but AP must be bought. Registering a SuperBox with Steam gets free TC and AP downloads.

I think Aitch is playing both Steam TC and AP so this is all pretty moot.

Aitch
x3tc

Post by Aitch » Thu, 6. Dec 12, 20:23

Thanks everyone thats the first time I have used that Steam Client thingy window and I hope its the last, over 3 hours to re-install TC.Still some issues to work out but I am nearly there.Once again a BIG THANKYOU to you all.Aitch
Aitch

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 6. Dec 12, 20:31

Good to hear it is going well now. Let us know if we can help with whatever is left to do before you are back in play.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”