Piracy discussion split from g'day thread

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

drgonzo86
x3ap

Post by drgonzo86 » Sat, 22. Dec 12, 05:54

haha yep in the last 3 days i've clocked almost 14hrs in this game. for me thats huge. im hooked.

now as for modding, of course i'll be modding. i break every Skyrim/Fallout game i have due to modding coz i usually download too many/wrong ones etc.

so anyway, after looking through them all the one i like most is called XRM. means starting a new game, so what i might do is "obtain" a copy of the game and have it installed to run outside of Steam and mod it, and use my vanilla verison in Steam.

that sound like a decent idea? i know i've barely had time to sample the X universe, but if im going to mod anyway, may as well be now before i get too far and cant be bothered starting all over again.

also, regarding a fresh start using XRM, so would you recommend i do it in Terran Conflict or Albion Prelude? im not THAT into doing a plot/story, if i do that i might save it for my vanilla game and use my modded run for full sandbox universal domination. from what i understand, is AP the same game as TC with extra plot stories? is that how the X games work, each is the same as the last with extra or alternate plot missions?

thanks again
Wait, we can't stop here. This is bat country...

bizbag
x3tc

Post by bizbag » Sat, 22. Dec 12, 06:04

You don't need to pirate a second copy of the game, just create a second installation. Install whatever mods you want like XRM, then remove the whole TC folder from its Steam location and put it somewhere else. Then, have Steam reinstall the game fresh. Alternately, make a copy of the X3 folder in steam and put that somewhere else, then mod the game (so that you have a fresh copy elsewhere).

As to the XRM, since you explicity don't care much about the plots, Albion Prelude has a few hard-wired updates that mods can't duplicate, like a larger navigation map, searchable universe map, and better OOS algorithms. You can't do the main Argon plot, but you can still get the PHQ and Hub.

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Sat, 22. Dec 12, 06:44

drgonzo86 wrote:means starting a new game, so what i might do is "obtain" a copy of the game and have it installed to run outside of Steam and mod it, and use my vanilla verison in Steam.
If by 'obtain', you mean pirate, then no (and even suggesting it on the developers' forums is A Bad Idea).

You don't need another copy of the game to run XRM anyway - just create another install. You may need to fiddle about a bit though if you only have the Steam version and you're playing X3TC rather than AP (which has a NoSteam executable).

Also, note that they will share savegames (there's a save manager in the stickies, I think).

drgonzo86
x3ap

Post by drgonzo86 » Sat, 22. Dec 12, 11:03

Carlo the Curious wrote:
drgonzo86 wrote:means starting a new game, so what i might do is "obtain" a copy of the game and have it installed to run outside of Steam and mod it, and use my vanilla verison in Steam.
If by 'obtain', you mean pirate, then no (and even suggesting it on the developers' forums is A Bad Idea).

You don't need another copy of the game to run XRM anyway - just create another install. You may need to fiddle about a bit though if you only have the Steam version and you're playing X3TC rather than AP (which has a NoSteam executable).

Also, note that they will share savegames (there's a save manager in the stickies, I think).
haha no i meant i was going to install it again on another drive and "obtain" a crack to crack it somehow to not run off steam. sounds like i dont need to.

also regarding modding my game, might take your advice then and wait til i finish first. i have Reunion as well havnt played it, dont have time to play both though haha.
Wait, we can't stop here. This is bat country...

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sat, 22. Dec 12, 17:03

Actually, the best option would be to buy the boxed version, install one, then use the product key to register with Steam. Then you can install a steam copy. If you duplicate the install you have already to the Steam folder, it should vastly shrink the size of the download from Steam.

Thus you get two legal copies and only have to pay for one.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 22. Dec 12, 20:11

@ drgonzo86: Let me be very clear, discussion of game piracy and cracks on this game developer's forum is a serious breach of the forum rules for which you can be banned. This is your one and only warning not to discuss or indicate that you have considered or will consider use of illegal measures to obtain or play X games. In your case, such illegal measures were totally pointless anyway as you have been advised.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”