Unknown Un-intractable Object in Unfocused Space

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Haruka

Unknown Un-intractable Object in Unfocused Space

Post by Haruka » Wed, 2. Jan 13, 20:51

First off, let me say this is my first foray into these forums so if I should have put this else where just let me know and I'll shift the thread... assuming I can. On to the question:

I was working my way through the PHQ Story line for the first time on X3:AP and on my first trip with the unfocused jump-drive, I spotted when I though was a ship in the distance. After cautiously approaching it seemed to inert and un-targetable. Indeed, after closer inspection the one means I could 'interact' with it was in the same way one might with the husk of a dead station. Namely hitting into it.

I was in an Argon Cerbrus at the time, as seen in the pics in this link for reference as to size. If any one could enlighten me as to what this is it would be very welcome.

The 'ship' : http://www.flickr.com/photos/91808093@N ... 412557195/

Sinxar
x4

Post by Sinxar » Wed, 2. Jan 13, 21:06

Thats the Aran.

There are various guides on how to board it around here. Lemme see if i can dig one up real quick.

ed: Here you go! Have fun with it! http://roguey.co.uk/x3ap/help/guides/aran/

Hrodeth
x3tc

Re: Unknown Un-intractable Object in Unfocused Space

Post by Hrodeth » Wed, 2. Jan 13, 21:08

I saw that as well in an unfocused sector. Shooting it did nothing either. It looks Terran by design. So I just made up a roleplay story about it. Not sure what the official story is.

Fulgrymm
x4

Post by Fulgrymm » Wed, 2. Jan 13, 22:22

That's a very lucky find, if you had marines with you, you could have captured it and had an awesome mobile HQ/Storage facility. It can dock one capital class ship, plus 30 smaller ships up to and including M6s. And has 120000 XL cargo space.

bizbag
x3tc

Post by bizbag » Wed, 2. Jan 13, 23:37

Hrodeth wrote:I saw that as well in an unfocused sector. Shooting it did nothing either. It looks Terran by design. So I just made up a roleplay story about it. Not sure what the official story is.
I always thought it looked more like the Ozias or even OTAS ships thanks to its golden paint job and lights. I suppose it is Terran in sheer scale, though.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Wed, 2. Jan 13, 23:41

I think it's supposed to be Goner.

Rhox
x4

Post by Rhox » Thu, 3. Jan 13, 00:46

brucewarren wrote:I think it's supposed to be Goner.
It is indeed.
Fulgrymm wrote:That's a very lucky find, if you had marines with you, you could have captured it and had an awesome mobile HQ/Storage facility. It can dock one capital class ship, plus 30 smaller ships up to and including M6s. And has 120000 XL cargo space.
Once the capital is docked, it counts as one of the 30 ships that can dock. Therefore, it is one capital and 29 other ships. Also, the word capital isn't correct here, as M6 and M8, which also count as capital ships, can dock inside the ship. Only the big capitals (M7, M7M, M1, M2) must dock outside.
And regarding the statement "mobile":
When you find and board an Aran, it is heavily damaged (which is why you should bring marines with high levels of engineering to bard it only). After fully repairing it (costs about 110 million), it's maximum speed is 12 m/s. If you want it mobile, either tow it with a Tractor Beam or overtune it using kurush's CLS 2 exploit (that's what I did with my personal Aran; after losing patience and applying 100 (maybe even 1000; I honestly don't know it anymore) engine tunings to it, it makes 80 m/s.

best regards,
Urkel
"Warnung: Frachtraum ist.....Frachtraum enthält nun: Khaak Zerstörer" -"Cool!"

http://www.seizewell.de - die ultimative deutsche Ressource zur X-Reihe
http://www.x-lexikon.xibo.at -ein deutsches Wiki zur X-Reihe

bizbag
x3tc

Post by bizbag » Thu, 3. Jan 13, 02:04

brucewarren wrote:I think it's supposed to be Goner.
Oh it is, I was just commenting on its relative appearance.

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Thu, 3. Jan 13, 02:09

Rhox wrote:After fully repairing it (costs about 110 million), it's maximum speed is 12 m/s. If you want it mobile, either tow it with a Tractor Beam or overtune it using kurush's CLS 2 exploit (that's what I did with my personal Aran; after losing patience and applying 100 (maybe even 1000; I honestly don't know it anymore) engine tunings to it, it makes 80 m/s.
Which is still slower than simply using the strafe drives to manoeuvre. ;)
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Thu, 3. Jan 13, 12:30

Haruka wrote: ... and on my first trip with the unfocused jump-drive...
oh, this makes me sick ;) It took me more than 100 UFJ to spot my first Aran (X3TC at that time). And I was looking for one, prepared for capping. I am sure you know how long it takes to jump and to search behind every asteroid for that ship ....
It was so valuable for me that I re-engineered and rebuilt it, 4d19h43m each round ...

Rhox
x4

Post by Rhox » Thu, 3. Jan 13, 12:53

Rapier wrote:
Rhox wrote:After fully repairing it (costs about 110 million), it's maximum speed is 12 m/s. If you want it mobile, either tow it with a Tractor Beam or overtune it using kurush's CLS 2 exploit (that's what I did with my personal Aran; after losing patience and applying 100 (maybe even 1000; I honestly don't know it anymore) engine tunings to it, it makes 80 m/s.
Which is still slower than simply using the strafe drives to manoeuvre. ;)
Trust me, you don't want to position it diagonally facing everything. Your shields are going to hold, but theirs aren't. Also, I think that 80 m/s is more than enough for my mobile headquarters.
Also, I now recall that it didn't take as much overtunings as I have written. I applied those 100 or 1000 overtunings to the rudders so that my Aran now has a turn of 1,2/m.

best regards,
Rhox

TKup93

Post by TKup93 » Thu, 3. Jan 13, 12:55

I think that most of the populace on this forum are all somewhat frustrated now, you find the Aran with 1 UFJD and dont know what it is, while everyone who goes after it ready to board searches for hours...:P

That aside, you can cap it, although you have to use auto-pilot > pirate closest ship command. Once you get it, dock with it, Jump out, then tractor it to the cloest shipyard or your PHQ, fix it, re it, build a fleet, load full of M2s & M6s have a super carrier fleet conquer the universe...

Rhox
x4

Post by Rhox » Thu, 3. Jan 13, 13:01

TKup93 wrote:I think that most of the populace on this forum are all somewhat frustrated now, you find the Aran with 1 UFJD and dont know what it is, while everyone who goes after it ready to board searches for hours...:P
Since I already have five of them, I don't really care about how many jumps I will need.
That aside, you can cap it, although you have to use auto-pilot > pirate closest ship command. Once you get it, dock with it, Jump out, then tractor it to the cloest shipyard or your PHQ, fix it, re it, build a fleet, load full of M2s & M6s have a super carrier fleet conquer the universe...
It's even simpler. Fly near, eject from your ship and fire the RL at it. After a while, you will hear the hostile music and can order your ship to eject the marines/launch the pods.
Besides, the Aran needs 4 days to be reverse engineered and another 4 to be rebuilt, plus this requires ressources that are close to the PHQ's maximum cargo capacity. I guess you're better off capping more of them (however, I don't know whether there is only one Aran in AP or not, I'm playing TC)

best regards,
Urkel

Haruka

Post by Haruka » Thu, 3. Jan 13, 15:23

Whao, thanks for the speedy replies everyone. On the subject of HQ's, is there a plot line for the Terrans? I've V2.5.2 on Steam if that makes a difference.

I'd heard of the Aran from other forums but I had no idea what it'd be like. Frankly the only thing Terran about it is yes, the scale. The looks are a tinny bit Argon but not close enough to class it as such in my mind. Never mind the colour. I assumed it was just an Easter Egg that I didn't get. Just one of those random things in the game. Like the UFO.
Arch-Matriarch of the High Order of the Advent

DiArmada
x3tc

Post by DiArmada » Thu, 3. Jan 13, 16:12

while it sure is great to own a ship of that size, it's pretty hard to give it some purpose.
mobile HQ?
sure, you can let it jump everywhere but it's a bit slow to be of much use in my opinion.
I use a Mistral freighter for storage of guns and another for shields.
they're not very fast either, but fast enough to supply new ships with goodies.
during the Hub mission I used it to bring crystals from complexes to the Hub.
with 12 m/sec it was easier to use two TL's instead.
repair cost of the Aran is nothing compared to upgrading it's cargospace.
40 M repair and 120 M for maximum cargospace, if I remember correctly.
the strafe engine is really great when flying the Aran.
just make sure you're above or below the route everybody else takes.
capturing the Aran was one of my favorite moments though.

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Thu, 3. Jan 13, 16:14

DiArmada wrote:while it sure is great to own a ship of that size, it's pretty hard to give it some purpose.
BFbroomstick - dock 10 together, sweep the sector clean of ships :).

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Thu, 3. Jan 13, 16:47

I'm seen the pics but I don't know how practical it would be. IIRC a docked ship has to undock before it can load up or undock it's own ships.

Haruka

Post by Haruka » Thu, 3. Jan 13, 19:25

Ah, never mind. Terran plot under way. Just had to shoot more stuff to start it.
Arch-Matriarch of the High Order of the Advent

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Thu, 3. Jan 13, 19:55

brucewarren wrote:I'm seen the pics but I don't know how practical it would be. IIRC a docked ship has to undock before it can load up or undock it's own ships.
"Sweep" as in "crash into"...

oddgit
x4

Post by oddgit » Thu, 3. Jan 13, 21:43

I used my aran to pick up leftover ships after a battle. I recently went modified and and have the NPC bailing mod and the salvage suite thing(npc ships salvage bailed ships and you rescue bailed astronauts) so there is more damaged abandoned ships in the universe and the Aran makes it very easy to pick up ships after a big firefight. I have also used it to refuel my TLs, sometimes im careless and let them run out of eCells, so i jump the Aran to the sector with the stranded TL, dock the TL to the Aran and refuel it. It works great.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”