Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Sat, 15. Apr 17, 13:42

63 year old millionairess "girl" sells T-shirts for a living..
https://www.omaze.com/made/campaigns/gi ... a_h=lb28ek

:lol:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 15. Apr 17, 19:55

Morkonan wrote:Well, it looks like quite a few people missed out on helping this particular Nigerian hide away some money....
That is news (to me). I had assumed that none of those prolific letter-writers had any real money.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 21. Apr 17, 23:05

Circular runways: Engineer defends his proposal

Might be a good idea, but would you feel safe landing on one?
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Fri, 21. Apr 17, 23:23

No.

But then I wouldn't feel safe landing on a straight runway, what with not being a trained pilot. :P

No sure I see the point to be honest. The only advantage I can see is that of an infinitely long runway. If you've got one of those planes that takes a jolly long time to get off the ground or the brakes on your wheels aren't that efficient you're sorted.

That said I think it would be kind of dangerous. If you're at a significant angle wouldn't that mean you had significantly less lift for a given speed and unbalanced lift at that. I'd have thought the job was hard enough on a straight runway without making it harder.

This sort of thing reminds me of the Hyperloop. Super cool in theory, but Thunderfoot has a video or two explaining why the latter is not going to work. TD:LR version engineering is hard.
Last edited by brucewarren on Fri, 21. Apr 17, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 21. Apr 17, 23:42

It looks tilted, so it may counteract the later velocity somewhat, much like with high speed race tracks.

Interesting thought though.

MFG

Ketraar

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Fri, 21. Apr 17, 23:47

Yes it's tilted.

The tilt is the main difficulty. In order to not scrape one of the wingtips on the runway the pilot must match that tilt while landing the plane.

However this the plays out the onus is on the inventor to prove to the world that his new way is just as safe or safer than the old way or the project will never take off.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Sat, 22. Apr 17, 13:42

Bill Maher
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrGFEW2Hb2g

- well, I thought it was funny.. :lol:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sat, 22. Apr 17, 14:53

I would say this needs it own thread, perhaps a dedicated science news thread?

Anyway, it seems that the Cassini probe is going on one last mission before it runs out of propellant, because the " Controllers cannot risk an unresponsive satellite one day crashing into - and contaminating - the gas giant's potentially life-supporting moons, and so they have opted for a strategy that guarantees safe disposal. "

The article is here.
Cassini has used a gravitational slingshot around Saturn's moon Titan to put it on a path towards destruction.

Saturday's flyby swept the probe into an orbit that takes it in between the planet's rings and its atmosphere.

This gap-run gives the satellite the chance finally to work out the length of a day on Saturn, and to determine the age of its stunning rings.

But the manoeuvre means also that it cannot escape a fiery plunge into Saturn's clouds in September.
Fascinating science and an excellent probe, but even though I do understand the reasons why, it just leaves me a little sad to be honest.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Sat, 22. Apr 17, 17:39

I'm not sad,

It's served it's masters well. If it had spent its days twiddling its electronic thumbs and sitting on its electronic arse it would indeed be sad, but it hasn't. It's given it's best for President and country.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 22. Apr 17, 21:06

greypanther wrote:...Might be a good idea, but would you feel safe landing on one?
As if airports didn't already take up a heck of a lot of room...

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Mon, 24. Apr 17, 18:51

Well, that's some an interesting architectural idea.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 49416.html

"Longest" building indeed, I can't help but feel they are bending the rules a bit in the tallest building competition. Ba Dum Tsss.
Thank you I'm here all week.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 24. Apr 17, 20:30

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 26. Apr 17, 18:02

It looks like Bobby Brown has written more books than anyone, ever, evar... He/She doesn't always get their named spelled right, though. (Booby, Bobbi.. There's probably a Bippity-Boppity-Boo coming.)

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=dp_byline_ ... evancerank

Looks like Rowling has some 'splaining to do, since it's obvious she didn't write all of the books attributed to her: https://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Phi ... 244&sr=1-1

(Yes, Amazon hack, and they haven't fixed it, since it has been going on for almost a whole month.)

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Fri, 28. Apr 17, 00:15

- leaps and bounds..:lol:

5 Smallest And Cheapest SuperComputers You Have Ever Seen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G30HGR7AVHY

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 3. May 17, 04:30

Prey demo is out for xbox one and ps4.

And just an fyi windows movie and tv player got a "play in minimode" feature that lets you watch videos while playing games. Basically it's an always on top video window.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 3. May 17, 23:59

Not sure how I feel about this US released photo, taken by a US photographer, of the moment she died.

yet I still had to look... :(

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Thu, 4. May 17, 13:48

The photos were published with the permission of the Clayton family.
I hope they also sought such permission from the families of the two Afghan soldiers who also died and unlike the photographer are actually IN the picture.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sat, 6. May 17, 01:01

Ah, here you go, a sincere gentleman, brokering a deal, with an honest foreign dignitary. :roll:

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Sat, 6. May 17, 10:28

Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sat, 6. May 17, 17:44

Getting closer to Tatooine moisture farming.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/04/ ... desert-air

Return to “Off Topic English”