Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

OmegaKnight
x3tc

Post by OmegaKnight » Wed, 31. May 17, 03:15

Take complete control over any device, using Subtitles.

Finally a version of Win10 without all the telemetry is released, in China.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 31. May 17, 04:23

OmegaKnight wrote:Take complete control over any device, using Subtitles.
I thought this has been an old thing, known for awhile. Maybe it was exploited further or more fully?

The amount of "knee-pad" groveling in that announcement.... I can't even.

"We are very honored and extremely honored and excitedly honored and humbled to be so very honored to <mmph mmmph waaah mmmph mmmph waaaah>..."

I hope they got cab fare, afterwards.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 5. Jun 17, 02:07

Holly crap, with all the rubbish form Trump about green power and global warming, here in Scotland last month the wind turbines produced enough power to supply 95% of all of the homes in Scotland. And I'm still paying through the teeth for my electricity bill.

Go green, that's a lot of power and not a bit of coal to be seen, Trump would really hate that. Money made from the air around us, who would have believed it.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 5. Jun 17, 08:41

felter wrote:here in Scotland last month the wind turbines produced enough power to supply 95% of all of the homes in Scotland.
There are two problems there. Firstly, the wind doesn't blow all the time, not even in Scotland, so you need to have some sort of backup power available for when the turbines aren't spinning--or, for that matter, when they've been shut down because the wind is blowing too strongly, which does happen. Secondly, because wind turbines don't spin at a fixed speed, they use induction generators, which means you need an existing 50Hz AC supply for the generators to lock on to--otherwise they wouldn't generate any power at all. So, while it's admirable that most of Scotland's power need was met from wind last month, that isn't always the case, and it can never be the case that *all* your power comes from wind.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 5. Jun 17, 16:29

pjknibbs wrote:
felter wrote:here in Scotland last month the wind turbines produced enough power to supply 95% of all of the homes in Scotland.
There are two problems there. Firstly, the wind doesn't blow all the time, not even in Scotland, so you need to have some sort of backup power available for when the turbines aren't spinning--or, for that matter, when they've been shut down because the wind is blowing too strongly, which does happen. Secondly, because wind turbines don't spin at a fixed speed, they use induction generators, which means you need an existing 50Hz AC supply for the generators to lock on to--otherwise they wouldn't generate any power at all. So, while it's admirable that most of Scotland's power need was met from wind last month, that isn't always the case, and it can never be the case that *all* your power comes from wind.
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, I know all that, but you still have to admit it is pretty darn awesome though that we can now actually produce that amount of Electricity from just the movement of the air around us. all we need now is some way to be able to store that power for use when it is needed the most.

OmegaKnight
x3tc

Post by OmegaKnight » Mon, 5. Jun 17, 17:15

The day to day fact that the wind doesn't blow is true
but that unevenness also exists on the micro scale too.

The proplem comes from the National Grid needing to match input and output from one moment to the next.
Currently that is done from the stored kinetic energy of steam turbines.
And we don't have a replacement for that yet.

This Vid explains it quite nicely
I'd recommend subscribing to his channel there is some good stuff on there

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 9. Jun 17, 07:46

Tracker001 wrote:Public Service Announcement

Plez Help :roll:
1-800-Adopt-A-Dude

:)

Tracker001
x3tc

Post by Tracker001 » Fri, 9. Jun 17, 07:50

@ Morkonan
Captured my reaction with that perfectly Morkonan

:rofl:

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Fri, 9. Jun 17, 19:01

are there any honest corporate businesses out there, at all..??
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40199259

- capitalism is doomed while this practice continues..
- it must be stopped as soon as possible.. :evil:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 11. Jun 17, 22:22

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 12. Jun 17, 00:21

Tracker001 wrote:@ Morkonan
Captured my reaction with that perfectly Morkonan

:rofl:
:)

I'd sign up for adoption, no problems. Probably get returned, though. :)

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Tue, 13. Jun 17, 21:37

It looks like the next metro game is Metro Exodus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbbqlvuovQ0

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Tue, 13. Jun 17, 22:46

On the wind turbine bit about producing power ,,,where I used to live (Scotland) you could see approx 20 turbines in the distance and contrary to remarks about wind not blowing everyday .. I can assure you it was a rare day when they were not producing electricity,,, agreed not 100% guaranteed production but still a good steady production of clean power..... plus it takes very little wind to turn those massive blades...

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 16. Jun 17, 22:27

Talk about thick, I hope I never ever ever meet any of these people.

Who needs terrorists.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 16. Jun 17, 23:40

felter wrote:Talk about thick, I hope I never ever ever meet any of these people.

Who needs terrorists.
/cringe

I don't even...

I had to stop watching halfway through it. I couldn't take it anymore... The amount of asshattery and stupidity going on was just too much to take.

Firearms are not friggin toys. Too many people treat them without respecting the fact that a firearm will gladly kill you no matter if you're just recreationally shooting in a controlled environment or being a friggin moron... The only thing required for you or someone else to die is for the bullet to hit them. Intent is not a factor - The weapon doesn't care.

For the few who looked like "gun instructors" or others acting in a teaching, supervising role, they should have any firearms licenses revoked so they understand that they are not some sort of superman just because they wear friggin tactical gear they bought at some dumbass hipster gun&coffe club... Morons.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 16. Jun 17, 23:50

You need to watch it all just to see how stupid some of them are. I mean like the one where the gun misfires and he actually looks down the barrel to see what happened. Or the police instructor, with the loaded gun in a classroom who says he is the only person qualified to use the gun in the room, before shooting himself in the leg with it. As you said, guns are not toys.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 17. Jun 17, 00:05

felter wrote:You need to watch it all just to see how stupid some of them are. ...
I... just can't. :)

The amount of responsibility one should hold to when holding a weapon is directly proportional to the destructive power of that weapon... The scale for firearms starts at "mortal" and goes up from there.

These people need serious instruction with lots of negative reinforcement involved to help them avoid mistakes in the future - Being "nice" ain't gonna cut it. :)

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sun, 18. Jun 17, 20:50

Steam Summer sale might be coming up soon - June 22, 2017.

Return to “Off Topic English”