Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 16. Jun 17, 22:27

Talk about thick, I hope I never ever ever meet any of these people.

Who needs terrorists.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 16. Jun 17, 23:40

felter wrote:Talk about thick, I hope I never ever ever meet any of these people.

Who needs terrorists.
/cringe

I don't even...

I had to stop watching halfway through it. I couldn't take it anymore... The amount of asshattery and stupidity going on was just too much to take.

Firearms are not friggin toys. Too many people treat them without respecting the fact that a firearm will gladly kill you no matter if you're just recreationally shooting in a controlled environment or being a friggin moron... The only thing required for you or someone else to die is for the bullet to hit them. Intent is not a factor - The weapon doesn't care.

For the few who looked like "gun instructors" or others acting in a teaching, supervising role, they should have any firearms licenses revoked so they understand that they are not some sort of superman just because they wear friggin tactical gear they bought at some dumbass hipster gun&coffe club... Morons.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 16. Jun 17, 23:50

You need to watch it all just to see how stupid some of them are. I mean like the one where the gun misfires and he actually looks down the barrel to see what happened. Or the police instructor, with the loaded gun in a classroom who says he is the only person qualified to use the gun in the room, before shooting himself in the leg with it. As you said, guns are not toys.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 17. Jun 17, 00:05

felter wrote:You need to watch it all just to see how stupid some of them are. ...
I... just can't. :)

The amount of responsibility one should hold to when holding a weapon is directly proportional to the destructive power of that weapon... The scale for firearms starts at "mortal" and goes up from there.

These people need serious instruction with lots of negative reinforcement involved to help them avoid mistakes in the future - Being "nice" ain't gonna cut it. :)

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sun, 18. Jun 17, 20:50

Steam Summer sale might be coming up soon - June 22, 2017.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Mon, 19. Jun 17, 21:28

Star Trek Discovery airing Sept 24, 2017.

http://www.startrek.com/article/star-tr ... miere-date

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 19. Jun 17, 22:27

Maybe interesting for the tech savvy folks here. I can't tell, because I have no clue about the subject at hand. China’s Quantum Satellite Sent Entangled Photons to Earth for the First Time
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 20. Jun 17, 03:50

Game of Thrones cast "sings" "I will survive" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVk_MtCcUr4

:)

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 20. Jun 17, 10:57

clakclak wrote:Maybe interesting for the tech savvy folks here. I can't tell, because I have no clue about the subject at hand. China’s Quantum Satellite Sent Entangled Photons to Earth for the First Time
I thought it was impossible to send any coherent information faster than light, because, you know, causality and all that. Yet (unless I have misunderstood) they seem pretty confident they can build a communications system using quantum entanglement.
I know that over such tiny distances no causality breaching observations are even infinitesimally likely but still. . . . general principle?
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Tue, 20. Jun 17, 11:19

Bishop149 wrote:I thought it was impossible to send any coherent information faster than light, because, you know, causality and all that. Yet (unless I have misunderstood) they seem pretty confident they can build a communications system using quantum entanglement.
I know that over such tiny distances no causality breaching observations are even infinitesimally likely but still. . . . general principle?
They're not using entanglement to transfer information FTL - as you say, it didn't work that way. The point is that entangled photons let you detect eavesdroppers - if someone is listening in it disturbs the entanglement and breaks the correlation between what the two parties measure, allowing them to detect the presence of the eavesdropper.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Wed, 21. Jun 17, 01:26

"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 21. Jun 17, 03:00

It looks like whales have adapted and are hunting fishing boats now.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/20/1584 ... ry-halibut

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 22. Jun 17, 21:10

burger1 wrote:It looks like whales have adapted and are hunting fishing boats now.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/20/1584 ... ry-halibut
Nature will find a way. Eventually, they'll be seen at ocean streetcorners, shaking down old tourists for their sardine cans.

This just in: Zuckmeister announces brand new concept - Facebook will focus on "groups", inventing groups that people can join where they can discuss subjects of common interest.. FB Zuck interview

Guess I won't need to fire up a newsreader... or my old dial-up server software.. or login to any of the other online forums, groups, chats, etc..

Facebook - One site to rule them all, one site to tell them, one site to bring them all and with advertising, sell them..

InFlamesForEver
x3tc

Post by InFlamesForEver » Fri, 23. Jun 17, 10:08

I thought FB was already like that? I personally belong to a number of groups like that.
In Flames We Trust
Listening to Whitechapel soothes the soul!! :D     ¹ ¤ ¹      But, the nuns are watching...
Samuel Creshal wrote:Keyboards: What separates the men from the boys.
XRM Trailer - XRM Installation Guide Video

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 23. Jun 17, 20:00

InFlamesForEver wrote:I thought FB was already like that? I personally belong to a number of groups like that.
It is, supposedly. (I wouldn't know.)

But, what Zucks is saying that FB's focus is going to be redirected towards making group discussion and interaction more of a major feature than FB being primarily a place where you post pictures of what you ate for lunch.

It's basically the revelation of an entirely new mission statement, which is the guiding principle of any organization.

OmegaKnight
x3tc

Post by OmegaKnight » Sat, 24. Jun 17, 00:44

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 24. Jun 17, 03:31

Oh my.... There's going to be a lot of 1337 haxxor'ss panties hitting the floor after this.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 24. Jun 17, 12:54

On the other hand it could be a load of sensationalist nonsense, as the later updates to the article seem to suggest.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 24. Jun 17, 14:07

Open source is touted secure; all flaws have a pressure to be fixed because everyone can read the code. A leak, if real, should thus encourage MS to revise their code rather then create "a massive cybersecurity hazard in the long run".

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 24. Jun 17, 14:26

Yeah, there does seem to be a skip in logic somewhere there. We're always told that Linux being open source makes it more secure, but the Windows source code being released apparently makes it less secure?

Return to “Off Topic English”