Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Wed, 21. Feb 18, 15:47

BugMeister wrote:When applying for ownership of an AR15 rifle...
- and why are they NOT asked to provide details of the circumstances wherein
they could imagine ownership of such a weapon would be considered essential
I'm'a goin' huntin' an' I'm a lousy shot. gotta make me sure I bag me a bunch o' ki.... Geese.
BugMeister wrote:- there's gun ownership, and then there's ownership of a murderous piece of
machinery designed to reek havoc..
I suspect 95% of sales are 'because it's a 'cool' gun.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Wed, 21. Feb 18, 15:52

Cute avatar I suppose. That and my other forums are almost all chasing bots tonight. I couldn't help myself.
Tapatalk has one sending out repeated notification emails that are 2 days old. 17 or so in the last hour. That's just one. Then another has one user talking to a bot using his user name pitching an exercise and diet.
It's been one of THOSE nights in forum land.
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Wed, 21. Feb 18, 23:13

Amazon have announced they're making a Consider Phlebas TV series: http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/conside ... 202706327/
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Thu, 22. Feb 18, 00:10

red assassin wrote:Amazon have announced they're making a Consider Phlebas TV series: http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/conside ... 202706327/
Blimey that's punchy. Be interesting to see how they go about it.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 22. Feb 18, 06:25

That's going to be... a test, for sure.

These streaming sites have pushed deep into content generation. But, movies and series with high demands require high budgets and high skill.

It'll be an interesting thing to see.

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Thu, 22. Feb 18, 08:10

RegisterMe wrote:
red assassin wrote:Amazon have announced they're making a Consider Phlebas TV series: http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/conside ... 202706327/
Blimey that's punchy. Be interesting to see how they go about it.
Would be amazing if they could pull it off and a series much better than movie for material that is so dense. The hard part is to avoid weak characters, his books are all character driven, the fact it is in space or one set of characters are alien does not really matter, interaction and depth are key, which is tough to pull off on tv.

(trying to think of decent example but keep coming up with The Singing Detective with Michael Gambon for some reason and now worried I maybe a Replicant)
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 22. Feb 18, 10:17

OK, I admit, I'm cautiously excited for this. There's a vast gulf between considering making the series and producing something as awesome as we all know it can be, though, so we'll have to see what the finished result looks like!

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Thu, 22. Feb 18, 21:07

Yeah, I don't want to get too excited because it's still gonna be damn hard to pull off, and I'll be super grumpy if they screw it up. But they certainly ought to be able to provide the budget necessary to do it properly, and the streaming services have got precedent for producing damn good TV by now.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 23. Feb 18, 14:38

Fan trailer for "Solo" that's pretty darn good! (Beastie Boys!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TPY4TKo6uQ

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 23. Feb 18, 14:47

Hmmm... If memory serves someone took the story of... Some archiologist to and end and branched the franchise with tales from his youth... (Whose DOG was name after some state?)

Wonder if he sold that device with this franchise?
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 23. Feb 18, 15:00

Hank001 wrote:Hmmm... If memory serves someone took the story of... Some archiologist to and end and branched the franchise with tales from his youth... (Whose DOG was name after some state?)

Wonder if he sold that device with this franchise?
The fifth in the series IP, now owned in its entirety by Disney, will be released in July of 2019, according to reports. (Wiki entry :) ) Lucas and Spielberg will both return and Ford will likely return, as well. I'd think they'd end his arc with this one.

I think Disney's house is more suitable for Indy than Star Wars, to be honest. But, at least we don't have to worry about them not having enough money to produce a film. :)

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 23. Feb 18, 15:06

Ohhh! Truer words! I can hear the money rolling into the boxoffice from here! (Now Disney, crank up them imagineers and let me truck down to Orlando and take the Millennium Falcon for a spin!)
"I have a bad feeling about this..."

"That's no moon..."
MIND THE GAP

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 23. Feb 18, 16:01

Morkonan wrote:I'd think they'd end his arc with this one.
Pretty sure they planned to do that with the fourth movie, but had to change their plans when it turns out Shia LeBeouf was about as popular as a potential Indy replacement as Piers Morgan would be as a replacement for...well, anyone really. :)

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 23. Feb 18, 16:03

:rofl: Nailed it!
MIND THE GAP

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Fri, 23. Feb 18, 16:56

Morkonan wrote:Fan trailer for "Solo" that's pretty darn good! (Beastie Boys!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TPY4TKo6uQ
Ok, find whoever did that and get them to direct the film.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 24. Feb 18, 21:37

RIP Emma Chambers ./sob :(
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Tracker001
x3tc

Post by Tracker001 » Mon, 26. Feb 18, 08:48

Internet Personas are the New Scapegoat for Society (Moral Panic)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7p5IroBGcc

^
Interesting Take .

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 26. Feb 18, 15:32

Tracker001 wrote:Internet Personas are the New Scapegoat for Society (Moral Panic)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7p5IroBGcc

^
Interesting Take .
Watched some of it, but he rambles around more than I do... :)

He's a bit self-important. "Static" isn't quality discourse. If a "fringe" youtuber or writer gets banned from somewhere because they're "edgy" it's not because there's some great conspiracy against them. They could just suck or maybe in their quest to shout their relevance they did it badly and pissed off someone who has no mandate to provide a platform for them and decided that they.. wouldn't. /banhammer

There has always been an social and cultural effect that acts against the minority supporters of unpopular opinion. In places like the US, the government will not act to silence someone, no matter how unpopular their opinion. But, private companies and private businesses may act as they like.

Not sure who that guy is, but he comes off as being pretty full of himself. He's just another youtuber, blathering on, adding static, no matter if he says something interesting, now and then, or not. The interwebz is full of the background droning of inane activists and self-proclaimed champions. Occasionally, one of them gets tired of being "just another voice" and does something stupid in some attempt to gain more attention and gets booted from the private platform that they somehow thought they had some intrinsic right to use for their own purposes. (Youtube, forums, blogs, social media, etc... )

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 26. Feb 18, 15:48

Obvoiusly "famous for being famous". youTube took a bash for allowing content like the young chap broadcasting body in Japan's " Forest of Suicides" and they've been keeping an eye on content since that media firestorm. If they start acting like the now toothless "Standards and Practices" that used to police the airwaves and cable it's only their realizing that there are some things that aren't fit for general release. If that's censorship then it's their company and should say what and cannot be posted. Just as we cannot and should not post certain things on this site. So I say bravo for youTube. You're starting to take control of you're content.
MIND THE GAP

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Mon, 26. Feb 18, 16:00

So as I mention periodically I am a academic working for a British university.

And as you may have heard it appears my pension is under threat and there is a strike in effect in response, quite a large one it being in its third day with at least 3 more planned at the current time.
I haven't had time to delve into all the nitty gitty details of the pension change but even a cursory glance at them makes it pretty clear they are BAD. So this brings me to the reason for this post, I was thinking "You know what, this is a serious issue which may actually have a substantial impact on me, I should probably join the Union!"

So I looked into it. . . . . . annnnnnd it will cost me ~£30 a month to be a member. I expected it to be about a 6th of that. £30 a month would make it my third largest monthly outgoing after my mortgage and my council tax.
This strikes me as a little excessive, i mean more than ANY other bill, internet, electricty, gas, phone, Netflix, you name it! Is the protection I'd receive really worth that much!

Don't get me wrong, I'm still thinking about it. . . . . Unions are important things but the price tag is more that a little off-putting and might be why the Union is generally not well supported. In my lab of 40-50 people there are a total of 2 members. . . . . only one of whom is striking.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Return to “Off Topic English”