Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Mon, 11. Jun 18, 09:44

- Bars, pubs and other public establishments have to pay around 200€/month in order to show football on their TVs while the household package goes between 10 and 30€/month.
I don't know what people had to pay before, but these seem like normal prices to me. In Germany, for example, Sky calculates their prices for their football packages based on the size of the venue and its location (city vs. economically underdeveloped region). So with a small bar somewhere in a remote region you may pay only 100 €, while a big sports bar in the city of Berlin or Munich has to pay up to 1000 € (or even more). In the UK this is probably even more costly due to greater broadcasting revenues.
- The official app, with over 10 million downloads, asks you for microphone and GPS permissions.

- La Liga remotely activates the microphone and tries to detect if the sound matches with that of a football match. In addition, it uses the geolocation of the phone to locate exactly where the establishment is located. That way they can locate bars and other establishments where football is being pirated or showed without paying for the bar package.
I am not sure I understand how this is supposed to work. The official app is run on mobile devices, right? If I open the app on my device, then I want to watch a game with it. However, when I go to a pub or a sports bar, then I do not simultaneously watch the game on my mobile device. For showing a game the sports bar, pub, venue uses a TV, beamer or whatever, not a mobile device running the app.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 11. Jun 18, 15:56

Mightysword wrote:...This sound messed up ... right?...
That is what all the Cool Kids are doing, these days...

Phone apps are listening for what you are watching.

EVERYONE either already has or is working on tech that will help them monitor user behavior not only in what they may be watching on television or online, but even their own personal conversations in the privacy of their own homes.

How can they be allowed to do such a thing?

Read the Licensing Agreement. Somewhere on page 150, there's an innocuous seeming statement that reads something like "This statement seems innocent because it claims that in order to help us improve the quality of our software and to provide you with the best possible user-experience, we may, from time to time, "go in dry." It helps if you just remain still and grit your teeth until we are done."
X2-Illuminatus wrote:...I am not sure I understand how this is supposed to work. The official app is run on mobile devices, right? If I open the app on my device, then I want to watch a game with it. However, when I go to a pub or a sports bar, then I do not simultaneously watch the game on my mobile device. For showing a game the sports bar, pub, venue uses a TV, beamer or whatever, not a mobile device running the app.
The app may be able to activate the microphone on your device by itself if you've given it permission to do so. So, for instance, what if you gave it permission to notify you when a game was being broadcast and to feed you highlights, game scores, etc? Well, while it is busy doing that, "improving your user experience by giving you delightful and valuable updates because you're a devoted fan" it's also busy trying to listen to what's going on around you.

Maybe. I'm not saying that is what is happening, only that it's very easy for that kind of app to do that sort of thing and that's likely how they'd do it.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Mon, 11. Jun 18, 17:39

X2-Illuminatus wrote: I am not sure I understand how this is supposed to work. The official app is run on mobile devices, right? If I open the app on my device, then I want to watch a game with it. However, when I go to a pub or a sports bar, then I do not simultaneously watch the game on my mobile device. For showing a game the sports bar, pub, venue uses a TV, beamer or whatever, not a mobile device running the app.
- You'll be surprise at people's desire to multi-task these day. If you follow a match thread on Reddit during a live match (I do when I can't watch a game live), you'll be amaze at the frequency and people post one liner comment. Sometime I wonder do they watch the game more or posting on the forum more.

- First issue is of course privacy. Say, a dude want to check the score of a match in his bed room, and then proceed to commit the act with his SO without turning it off, fun. Double the fun if it's a love hotel with a hooker.

- Second issue is I doubt this is how the user intend to use it - a snoobing device for law enforcement. Football fans don't go to their favorite club to rat out the owner, if they want to do it then can just do it directly easy enough. The reason this smell wrong to me is it's awfully familiar with the tactic some dictatorship (i.e communist) turned the kids to snoob out their parents in the pass.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 21. Jun 18, 03:13

I'm going to throw this in here even though it is not news but it did make me shed some tears.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Thu, 21. Jun 18, 03:26

OMG felter! :rofl:

((((help))) :rofl:

can't catch my beathe....

Thank you 4 that!

Foul Chinese plot!

:rofl:
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Thu, 21. Jun 18, 04:31

felter wrote:I'm going to throw this in here even though it is not news but it did make me shed some tears.
I'm ashamed to be human.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Thu, 21. Jun 18, 15:12

felter wrote:I'm going to throw this in here even though it is not news but it did make me shed some tears.
Disappointing that it's faked though.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Thu, 21. Jun 18, 15:35

Fake or not: Hilarious!

Shared the video with the design school and they love it. Going into product design lectures as comedy relief. Got the feedback there's not one point about it that's not offensive as hell. Brilliant.
MIND THE GAP

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 21. Jun 18, 16:43

Antilogic wrote:
Disappointing that it's faked though.
Most of his videos are not fake and they are pretty good. The man himself is pretty savvy especially when it comes to electrics and electronics and he can read most circuit boards like a book. I've been watching his videos for quite some time now and one of my favourites show you what is inside a NiMh cells and why you should not tear them to bits. That's about as real as you can get.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 21. Jun 18, 22:09

Antilogic wrote:...Disappointing that it's faked though.
"Fake..."

The fact that it is surprising that it is actually fake should tell us something, though. It's Japan... There's worse out there. :)

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Thu, 21. Jun 18, 22:17

@ Morkonan

Made in China for Japan market. Real product, though I think it's just a doll.

HOWEVER the video gave me the idea for a model rocket.
How's "Ballistic Barbie" hit you? :roll:
MIND THE GAP

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 22. Jun 18, 10:25

"How's "Ballistic Barbie" hit you?" Poor Ken! :wink:
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 22. Jun 18, 21:55

Hank001 wrote:@ Morkonan

Made in China for Japan market. Real product, though I think it's just a doll.

HOWEVER the video gave me the idea for a model rocket.
How's "Ballistic Barbie" hit you? :roll:
I had one of those for awhile, then I got divorced. It was dependable, though, and could definitely get you to the Moon... once a month. :)

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 22. Jun 18, 23:08

Faked or not it gave everybody left here Podunk Juntion a good laugh. Which was BADLY needed since the local campus is empty for summer, it's having internal political turmoil and even the status of Illinois state schools is in serious doubt not to mention the shitshow going on outside the confines of the ivory tower!

And yet, now half faculty are rolling on the floor laughing at a fireworks display.

:D
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 23. Jun 18, 03:44

Hank001 wrote:... Which was BADLY needed since the local campus is empty for summer, ..
In my experience, that can be one of the best times for students to hang out, if even for just a little while. I remember opting to stay during the summer for a bit and it was a blast. (Even if not taking classes or just a light load.) Profs were more approachable, too, with lower class sizes for some reason... Some students still thought like they were in High School - Summer = Vacation. IIRC, I took my first summer off in terms of classes, but stayed for the rest.

On a different tack, something worth noting for everyone:

Today was Octavia Butler's birthday! (A Google Doodle told me...)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octavia_E._Butler

Yes, she was a "she." Yes, she was an "African American." (She was "black.") Yes, she was, in a large way, an "activist" during times filled with cultural and social turmoil. And, yes, she was a SCIENCE FICTION WRITER!

Why note it? Because, we're all here because of Science Fiction. Science Fiction can be so much more than just spaceships and lasers. It can make a statement, it can address cultural and social issues, it can introduce brand new "practical" ideas or even far fetched ones. It can create a sandbox where we can say "what if" and then go wherever the "if" takes us.

Science Fiction is important.

And, anyone, not just white males with backgrounds in science, can write it.

And... you can say what you want, write what you want, and nobody can easily condemn you for it. :) ("Easily" - There are plenty of banned Sci-Fi books.)

So, yeah, Octavia Butler. No, I haven't read a bunch of her stuff, but that doesn't matter - I am overjoyed that the genre welcomed her contributions.

Celebrate science fiction, dudes and dudettes, because it's a genre that has a powerful voice.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 23. Jun 18, 03:47

@ Morkonan

Dawn! If you haven't read it do. Great work!
(Too bad the book thread sort of petered out.)
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 28. Jun 18, 22:41

France is bringing back mandatory national service for all 16-year-olds

This is interesting...

But, sixteen year-olds? I don't know much about school, timelines, secondary education, etc, but that seems to cut right into some critical education periods, IMO. (Someone can inform, I'm sure.)

I am not necessarily in favor of "mandatory military service" and this proposal is strange, since it seems to shy away from that in some regards, but still emphasizes military service. I am, however, strongly in favor of a sort of "National Service" type of program, for the US, but one focused on bringing young people deeper into their own communities, exposing them to helping others, working together as a team with new people, seeing the benefits of their labor reflected in society, seeing how significant they can be in the lives of others, etc, etc... So, more of a local kind of thing. Obama kind of tried to emphasize something like that, but fell far short of making it a reality, IMO.

(I am not in favor of any sort of political indoctrination program, btw, other than a good helping of what a great "Civics" class would teach, but showing those laws and values "in real time" by allowing young people to experience them.)

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 29. Jun 18, 00:44

@ Morkonan

Try that is the US and you'd get what you pay for. :P

---- God is it storming outside or what? Power just crapped so back to my smartphone magnifier and good bluetooth keyboard is battery.
MIND THE GAP

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 2. Jul 18, 17:49

They've found the youth football team that's been missing in a cave system in Thailand for the last nine days :).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44688909
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 2. Jul 18, 18:15

@ ResisterMe

Thanks for some good news.

:D
MIND THE GAP

Return to “Off Topic English”