Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Thu, 9. Aug 18, 12:04

felter wrote:Just stumbled onto this guys channel, his videos are really well done informative and interesting, and I think a few of you will enjoy these. I have actually seen worse video's on mainstream television.

I'm linking four videos they are all about the trials and tribulations of setting up a fire ant colony. I'll link them in order. Of course he has many more videos but I've only watched and enjoyed these ones so far.
So I spent most of last night watching ants.
Ummm
Thanks?
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Thu, 9. Aug 18, 13:52

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 9. Aug 18, 16:15

Antilogic wrote:Queuing is important https://i.redd.it/upn5iglxp1f11.jpg
He should have installed a drive-thru. Oh well... The cops don't catch the smart ones. :)

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Thu, 9. Aug 18, 16:20

@ Antilogic

More a statement on demand outstripping supply. :(
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Thu, 9. Aug 18, 19:20

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Thu, 9. Aug 18, 19:23

@ Antilogic

Purely poor pig public policy pertubing police.
MIND THE GAP

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Thu, 9. Aug 18, 22:47

Bishop149 wrote:
felter wrote:Just stumbled onto this guys channel, his videos are really well done informative and interesting, and I think a few of you will enjoy these. I have actually seen worse video's on mainstream television.

I'm linking four videos they are all about the trials and tribulations of setting up a fire ant colony. I'll link them in order. Of course he has many more videos but I've only watched and enjoyed these ones so far.
So I spent most of last night watching ants.
Ummm
Thanks?
As did I.....

Still sad Romeo and Juliette died.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 10. Aug 18, 17:34

I found this cartoon done in 1956 (Year I was born) about the year 2000.

They fell short in some places and went way long in others.

https://youtu.be/W8pvcGWtXXE
MIND THE GAP

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 10. Aug 18, 18:39

Hank001 wrote:I found this cartoon done in 1956 (Year I was born) about the year 2000.

They fell short in some places and went way long in others.

https://youtu.be/W8pvcGWtXXE
Well they did get one thing right, Trumps working hours, 11 till 3 with a 2 hour lunch break. :D
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 10. Aug 18, 21:25

So I was watching some ED videos and I stumbled onto Astronaut Chris Hadfield Debunks Space Myths. I don't think I need to introduce it.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 11. Aug 18, 14:33

JPL really went out on a limb publishing this with the big bosses all in the debunk and deny camp. The Amazon went through some severe dought cycles since 2000 and NASA is parsing the data.

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7212
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 11. Aug 18, 21:17

So, yeah, now we have another thing that's bad for us..

Chemists discovers how blue light speeds blindness.

TLDR: Your cellphone, CFL bulbs, LEDs, just about any computer screen... all emit blue light that can cause the permanent destruction of retinal cells. (They don't grow back.)

Solution? Blue blocker sunglasses, "Warm" light bulbs instead of that ultra-cheapo crap you've been buying, well-lit rooms while you're using emitters like your cell-phone, computer, maybe even TV (Have to check, still looking), no more browsing your phone in the dark and, maybe, just close your eyes for the rest of your life.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 12. Aug 18, 07:04

Morkonan wrote: TLDR: Your cellphone, CFL bulbs, LEDs, just about any computer screen... all emit blue light that can cause the permanent destruction of retinal cells.
The article points out that sunlight has exactly the same effect, though? Good luck avoiding that.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sun, 12. Aug 18, 19:56

Anki Vector the next failed home robot attempt?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx7d4OlJx5s

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 12. Aug 18, 21:08

pjknibbs wrote:
Morkonan wrote: TLDR: Your cellphone, CFL bulbs, LEDs, just about any computer screen... all emit blue light that can cause the permanent destruction of retinal cells.
The article points out that sunlight has exactly the same effect, though? Good luck avoiding that.
But, not at the same comparable rate. And, you should be wearing at least UV blocking sunglasses/lenses for the same reason. So, now add "Blue Block" to "UV Block" when shopping for a new pair of sunglasses.

Pretty soon we'll all be wearing those "Air Filter" lenses Geordi wore on TNG...
burger1 wrote:Anki Vector the next failed home robot attempt?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx7d4OlJx5s
More of an evolution of an experiment, really. So far, there isn't a "home robot" that is capable of revolutionary change, like an "automated washing machine." It'll take a lot more work and learning from introducing little robots like this will help that work along.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 16. Aug 18, 22:05

This is awesome..
Millennia of human activity: heatwave reveals lost UK archaeological sites
The scorching weeks of the summer of 2018 left crops shrivelled and gardens scorched. It has also revealed the lines of scores of archaeological sites across the UK landscape, tracing millennia of human activity, from neolithic cursus monuments laid out more than 5,000 years ago to the outline of a long-demolished Tudor hall and its intended replacement.

Lost sites have been turning up all over Britain and Ireland, ploughed flat at ground level but showing up as parch marks from the air, in areas where grass and crops grow at different heights, or show in different colours, over buried foundations and ditches. A treasure trove of discoveries...
PICS!

Look at all that cool stuff!

I wonder how much of England, Ireland and Scotland have been subjected to IR and UV satellite scans like those that have been used in places like South America to reveal hidden structures. Well, I guess they don't need a space launch or a satellite to reveal these - Just turn up the heat.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 17. Aug 18, 00:34

The title to those pics is just wee bit misleading, which is normal. It says
UK archaeology sites made visible in heatwave, while all of those pictures are from England, the rest of the UK doesn't count to them. Wales and Ireland did discover some sites, but as far as I know no new sites were seen in Scotland. Scotland doesn't suffer droughts the same way as the rest of the UK. While they were introducing hosepipe bans due to lack of water, Scotland were going, were fine we have plenty of water.

It is also not a new phenomenon, we used to have an archaeological TV show called Time Team and they used photos of that sort of thing to find possible areas to dig. Channel four should bring it back and investigate some of those new sites, I'm sure it would be hit.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 17. Aug 18, 02:51

Hold your breath Observe.
Commin' Atcha...

Carbon Monoxide from California fires moves east....

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7214

Seems drought is getting around everywhere but here
where I am... Wish I could email the UK some rain in exchange for real clear night or two. :roll:
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 17. Aug 18, 02:53

Yeah, I've seen pics/discoveries like this before in the UK. But, the article seems to be announcing a bonanza of new sites being easily visible. I find that exciting. I was always a big fan of archeology, moreso the anthropological aspects of it and how people lived, what their culture was like, etc.

Anyway, it's darn cool stuff. I'm an 'Murican... So, our "archeological" stuff is limited to ancient Indian monuments, arrowheads, some pottery, a few preserved bits and pieces where humidity just plain "doesn't go" and some interesting Viking stuff that people constantly argue about. So, while there are a few ruins to discover that can be a couple of hundred years-old, they don't quit have the possibility of having hosted ancient battlegrounds with "Knights in Shining Armor" brutalizing the populace. Best we can do is a few old blankets coated in smallpox...

A secret joy of mine: "Prehistoric battlefields" They're just so damn few confirmed ones to be able to figure out wtf was going on. :( Where are the darn giant-ground-sloth-shock-cavalry! :) Sure, they're slow... But, when they get there, wooo boy, watch out!

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 17. Aug 18, 03:03

@ Morkonan
A secret joy of mine: "Prehistoric battlefields...

Well how about fighting a dragon in more modern times...
No... I mean a honest to gosh DRAGON...
History says it was just up north of here in Alton, Illinois

http://www.altonweb.com/history/piasabird/
MIND THE GAP

Return to “Off Topic English”