X2 questions.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Pathfinder331

X2 questions.

Post by Pathfinder331 » Sat, 5. Jan 13, 02:46

1. Is there a way to repair a ship without a SY?

2. Is capturing a Xenon K a reasonable way to get your first M2(I'm pondering if I should raise my combat rank instead of just SETA'ing over night and losing my Commodore rank)?

3. Are there any guides on being a pirate for X2(I searched through the ultimate guide list sticky but didn't find anything other than capping ships)

4. Does the Mass Driver have any purpose? It seems like it doesn't do any damage.

I've read through countless guides so far but I still can't figure any of these out.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Sat, 5. Jan 13, 04:55

To repair your ship go to some out of the way position and come to a halt then eject and approach your ship in your space suit target it and get close ti it then fire at it.

Capturing any Xenon ship is one of the hardest things to do in the game you need two marine launch vehicles and a minimum of 40 elite marines.

Expect heavy loss's which given the cost and trime involved training your marines I find unnacceptable for a trophy ship.

There are some references in the stickies but basicaly you just attacck other races ships aand demand their freight or keep pushing them till they bail.

The mass driver is a great weapon it rips away the hull through shields but is ammo wasteful be sure you always have plenty.
When traveling pause occasionally, look back and enjoy the moment again.

Kajar
x4

Post by Kajar » Sat, 5. Jan 13, 05:47

shaun bergin wrote:To repair your ship go to some out of the way position and come to a halt then eject and approach your ship in your space suit target it and get close ti it then fire at it.
X2 has no Repairlaser. Your only way to repair ships is in a shipyard and its smaller version.
shaun bergin wrote:Capturing any Xenon ship is one of the hardest things to do in the game you need two marine launch vehicles and a minimum of 40 elite marines.

Expect heavy loss's which given the cost and trime involved training your marines I find unnacceptable for a trophy ship.
X2 also has no Marines. To capture a Xenon K, you need the top combat rank and then also the ones spawned from a single mission-type are captureable. It bails like any other small ship...if you survive.
shaun bergin wrote:There are some references in the stickies but basicaly you just attacck other races ships aand demand their freight or keep pushing them till they bail.

The mass driver is a great weapon it rips away the hull through shields but is ammo wasteful be sure you always have plenty.
Correct so far, justplay with your prey a little. It feels rather easy to get the pilots leave their ships.

And the Massdriver completly ignores shields. in some situations ( like a random Kha'ak destroyer ) it can be VERY helpfull if you are still in a M3.

X2 is also easier to playin my opinion, have fun :3

Pathfinder331

Post by Pathfinder331 » Sat, 5. Jan 13, 06:01

Capturing any Xenon ship is one of the hardest things to do in the game you need two marine launch vehicles and a minimum of 40 elite marines.
I think you are taking about X3 here, man I wish I had a better rig. Boarding other ships with marines sounds like alot of fun.
X2 also has no Marines. To capture a Xenon K, you need the top combat rank and then also the ones spawned from a single mission-type are captureable. It bails like any other small ship...if you survive.
What I was meaning to ask is whether the Xenon K is worth the trouble of ranking up for. Or would I be better off buying an M2 from a shipyard. I've got a split iguana with triple ions, 2 25 MW shields and most importantly a strafe drive, I'll be fine :D

Also for being a pirate, what happens when I need to get something from a race but they wont let me dock, do I have to kill pirates in their sectors again?

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Sat, 5. Jan 13, 10:23

Ranking up again can be done that way,or trading and doing mission for them in non core sectors.

It' a long time since I played using billboards for missions.Were these in X2,even?
But missions from races don't always come from that race's sectors. They can come from any station.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sat, 5. Jan 13, 10:37

If you are not worried about the modified tag then you might like to try this hull repair addon for X2.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

fig
x2

Post by fig » Sat, 5. Jan 13, 13:09

What I was meaning to ask is whether the Xenon K is worth the trouble of ranking up for
Yes, it is, but getting to AoA 1st grade will take longer than getting enough credits to buy an M2. Ray or Oddy are the only ones worth buying really.

Pathfinder331

Post by Pathfinder331 » Sat, 5. Jan 13, 21:38

I see, so I am better off saving up for an M2 so I can mass slaughter enemies for rank increase. Guess there aren't any shortcuts for getting those nice fancy cap ships. Of course that's half the fun in this game is starting low and aiming high. I nearly drooled all over the laptop when I got the Centaur, did a quick save and slaughtered the Split at Family Whi :lol:

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Sat, 5. Jan 13, 22:00

In X2 the Centaur is a decent ship.
In fact most M6's are quite good.
Unfortunately they have become less important to me with later games in the series,but to have a nice shiny Pirate Centaur,with all the decorations...now there's a ship to show off at the fair ! :D

Pathfinder331

Post by Pathfinder331 » Sat, 5. Jan 13, 22:48

Except the hydra ofc, I was glad I bought my Centaur before that plot mission, the only good that M6 was for was the 125 MW Shield and weapons to be sold. The M6's are really good player ships for sure, I was harassing/strafe-dodging a Split python when I accidently hit my boost key.....rammed right into it and only lost a triplex scanner while the python itself was completely destroyed.....I can only imagine what a fully loaded Osprey would be like.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sun, 6. Jan 13, 02:52

WRT M6s, IIRC in X2:-
  • Teladi Osprey - a tank and a very powerful one
  • Paranid Nemesis is a PSG wagon - good for patrols but pretty lame for player use if you want to use jump drives
  • Argon Centaur - middle of the road
  • Split Dragon - fast and deadly but weak against Kha'ak clusters
  • Boron Hydra - a fairly useless brick beaten by the other M6s
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

fig
x2

Post by fig » Sun, 6. Jan 13, 12:03

The Hydra is possibly the best for OOS defence though. It's fast and tough enough to fight Khaak clusters OOS. It's just useless at everything else.

Master of the Blade
x3tc

Post by Master of the Blade » Sun, 6. Jan 13, 13:27

Hydra can be fun if you stuff its relatively large cargo bay with lasertowers, mines and missiles and just run from your enemy, making them fly through a storm of assorted defence emplacements. Hydra's fast and well shielded so is probably one of the best for that which is fun if not too efficient. Osprey on the other hand is hilariously powerful. Get one and keep a few PSGs handy and you won't need a destroyer.

Shipyards are the only way to fix ships in X2

The K is probably one of the best destroyers, but earning the cash for a commonwalth destroyer is generally quicker and easier than getting the required rank for them to even become cappable.

Mass drivers are a good equaliser for ships with no ID or PSG capability to take on capitals, or for fighters on carriers should you go down that route in the future. The AI isn't great at fighting, so having any damage your minions deal be permanent is pretty helpful.
Allergic to work.

If at first you don't succeed, delegate the job to a minion.

Pathfinder331

Post by Pathfinder331 » Sun, 6. Jan 13, 20:56

Just bought my first TL, have to say I feel pretty awesome sitting in the cockpit of one of those(even though the ship is pretty much empty....so....lonely.....), I'm guessing its a good investment since the majority of my income comes from capping orinocos, Kha'ak m3's and the ocasional stray nova. It's great that I can now safely transport my "borrowed" ships to a shipyard without being destroyed by the occasional kaaks blowing them up.

Now for equipment docks......if I buy one of my own will it be able to upgrade my ships? And will I be able to choose what it sells? Or would I be wasting my time?

Master of the Blade
x3tc

Post by Master of the Blade » Mon, 7. Jan 13, 00:31

EQ docks aren't a good early investment - they're basically warehouses and you can't use them for upgrades. They're very expensive and don't really give much in the way of monetary return. When you have a fleet to manage, they can be a good place to dump resources (energy for jumpdrives, ammo and missiles) at a central point.

TLs are pretty nice in X2, they're nigh invulnerable to fighter attack so can substitute for a battleship in light combat and like you say can conveniently transport caps, as well as stations should you decide to go down that route. Their shape is also perfect for sweeping away enemies. And friends, I suppose. :roll:
Allergic to work.

If at first you don't succeed, delegate the job to a minion.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”