Capping fighters in AP

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

WeaponisedCookie

Capping fighters in AP

Post by WeaponisedCookie » Thu, 10. Jan 13, 11:17

I'm currently using a spitfyre with EEMPC to cap fighters but the bail rate isn't that great. Is there a more efficient way? I've heard that IDs help but I would have to get a nova instead, which is significantly slower. I'm also seeing swarms of pirate fighters. Encountering eight in a sector isn't unusual and I have difficulty taking them all on (most of them are m3/m3+). Is it due to my insufficient skill as a pilot or is it too tall an order?

Any tips/tricks or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sinxar
x4

Post by Sinxar » Thu, 10. Jan 13, 11:42

IonDs actually make it less likely they will bail by a large %.

Pulsed Beam Emitters. Huge shield dmg, almost no hull damage with an extremely high rate of fire and extreme projectile speed. But obviously they won't fit on a Spitfyre, sorry :(.

PBEs are most peoples weapon of choice when trying to make ships bail. What I do is shoot them until about 80% hull, if they don't bail by then, shoot them slowly until around 50%. If they still don't bail just kill them and move on. IMO its better to get more targets than try to coax one out of his ship gently.

I get a lot of pirate spawns like that too. usually when im trading in a TS though. 6 - 8 will appear right next to me and kill me before I can escape. You could try to pick some off with missiles or kite them out enough to separate and kill alone.

Manks
x3tc

Post by Manks » Thu, 10. Jan 13, 11:49

Bigger ship + bigger guns + bigger combat rank, at least so I've read.

Can't really say if the ship or gun size matters, but the rank very likely does. However, bigger ships can easily engage more fighters so you'll see more bails just by the numbers. Get an M7 with flak and you'll be set.

If you're a full-blooded Terran, a Springblossom with PSSC is a cost-effective compromise. I don't have a lot of love for the Yoko or the Aegir, but for bails they should work just fine.

If you're OK with the Commonwealth, any flak capable frigate will work. The Shrike and Tiger are popular options, and I've been enjoying my Griffon Sentinel. In general, the Argon/OTAS ships are better in anti-fighter roles and all have hangers to hold your spoils.

If money is an issue, hunt yourself a few super freighter XLs (any TS with over 10k in max cargo, more or less). When repaired, they sell back for around a million. Work that for a while and you can upgrade to an M6, which should make things a lot easier. Not sure what start you used, but in AP you can get a freebie M6 with the Argon plot that is decent.

And finally, a swarm of M3/M3+s are quite difficult, especially if they're pirates wielding plasma burst generators. Don't feel bad if they overpower if you're in a fighter yourself.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 10. Jan 13, 20:35

Manks wrote:Bigger ship + bigger guns + bigger combat rank, at least so I've read.

Can't really say if the ship or gun size matters, but the rank very likely does....
Actually, it's the ship size that matters most. Combat rank seems to have little effect. Enemy pilots aren't afraid of your rank, which is basically fluff, but they're apparently terrified of you if you're flying bigger ships than theirs. :twisted:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”