How do jumpdrives work?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

flopsies

How do jumpdrives work?

Post by flopsies » Sun, 13. Jan 13, 07:43

I haven't played Beyond the Frontier, but from what I know a ship jumped into the Sol system, where there was no jumpgate, when all other jumpdrives can only jump out of a gate or beacon. How did this happen?

akari no ryu
x4

Post by akari no ryu » Sun, 13. Jan 13, 08:31

The humans were trying to create a ship which would allow point-to-point jumping without the use of jumpgates.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 13. Jan 13, 08:43

In X-BTF the X-Shuttle has an experimental gateless jumpdrive aboard, but it fails during its first test and leaves Kyle Brennan stranded in the middle of Seizewell. The Argon reverse-engineer the broken device, but the best they can safely get it to do is jump to a pre-existing jump gate--presumably both they and the Terrans are working on a true point-to-point version of the device, but so far with no success.

Incidentally, the whole idea of the Terrans having copied the jump drive from a Xenon ship that jumped into Sol system is never mentioned in the game--Helge, who wrote the novelization, added that.

flopsies

Post by flopsies » Mon, 14. Jan 13, 15:09

Ok, now I get it... The ones on ships in X3 and such are simply the best the Argon could repair it to, but the Xenon had it... Interesting. Wish there was a dedicated Lore forum though.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 14. Jan 13, 20:20

pjknibbs wrote:... The Argon reverse-engineer the broken device...
Technically, it's the Goners that reverse engineer it. :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

sadron
x3tc

Post by sadron » Mon, 14. Jan 13, 20:27

If I knew, I'd currently be working with NASA to make one!

Deeparth
x4

Post by Deeparth » Tue, 15. Jan 13, 13:38

I'd rather work on space vehicles thapt can survive a jump.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Tue, 15. Jan 13, 14:21

How about we manage to get from earth to space and back without randomly exploding?

How do they work? They reverse the polarity of the neutrons in the flux capacitor to bypass the Tannhauser gate.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Echofinder
x3tc

Post by Echofinder » Thu, 17. Jan 13, 03:46

Triaxx2 wrote:How about we manage to get from earth to space and back without randomly exploding?
I think getting from the ground to the sky without worrying about batteries catching fire would be a more prudent step.
How do they work? They reverse the polarity of the neutrons in the flux capacitor to bypass the Tannhauser gate.
And here I thought they drilled a hole through the space's high-field gradient to utilize the exotic particles within, allowing one to connect your current position to a specially designated point (i.e. gates) by temporarily transcending the limitations of 3-Dimensional space. :oops:

Oh well, you learn something every day.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Thu, 17. Jan 13, 10:07

Think Stargate/Farscape/Wormholes and you will probably be on the right track ;)
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

stilgarpl
x3tc

Post by stilgarpl » Thu, 17. Jan 13, 10:42

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:Think Stargate/Farscape/Wormholes and you will probably be on the right track ;)
My name is Kyle Brennan, An Astronaut.
A radiation wave hit and I got shot through a wormhole.
Now I'm lost in some distant part of the universe on a ship...

:)

Sorry, I couldn't help myself :P
Now we only need Brennan crying "My Module!" everytime he sees his ship...

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”