Tractor beam

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Azorel

Tractor beam

Post by Azorel » Thu, 24. Jan 13, 03:30

Well today I was happy but sadly fail big time and spent all my last penny to buy a stupid tractor beam, I read the info on it:

[ external image ]

I have those two ships
Mercury super freighter XL
Mistral

it looks like the tractor beam doesn't work on those two ships, I mounted in turret, entered into the right turret, shoot... nothing... Also it say 3km and I hit the station and my shield dropped down... still nothing.. ok I went to the under 2km as the beam ask and shoot from there.. nothing...
So at this stage are those info a lie? Does those info misleading players and if so, why doesn't the developers do something about that?
Now I wasted time and money to see my Silicon mine 30km from my complex hub and sitting there for pirates attack just cos a bad information.

Please do something about this stupid information's, delete them or I don't know, but they are not good!

Thanks for wasting AGAIN my money into nothing! Wondering how much time and money will waste till I found more and more fail things!

Skism
x3tc

Post by Skism » Thu, 24. Jan 13, 03:46

Hmm couple of things you only need to shoot once if you are holding fire then it won't do it.

Ahh I have found why it won't work:

http://www.x3wiki.com/index.php/Tractor_Beam

"While technically "compatible", the tractor beam cannot actually be used by ships smaller than M6 corvettes, due to the energy requirements. From Nanook's post on the Egosoft X3 forum : "Tractor beams are really designed to be used by M6's, TL's and larger ships. The fact that they fit on a Mercury is probably due to the fact that all 'special weapons' are lumped together - tractor beam, repair laser, mobile drilling system (mining laser). If it can mount one, it can mount them all. Most likely, that Mercury was designed to mount a MDS, so it can also mount, but not use, the TB. In short, get an M6."

Ps just me when I tell you X3 is a game of trial and error
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest."

-Thomas Paine-

Azorel

Post by Azorel » Thu, 24. Jan 13, 03:51

Oh nice, so then, would be nice if developers can delete that out, cos it misleads players and it's annoying!
Now this means I must gather lots of money to buy an M6 ship... I sure hope I won't wake up that the ship I buy will NOT BE COMPATIBLE again ... I swear I will throw the game to my dog and chew it up.. he likes to chew CD/DVD-s a lot. :evil:

Skism
x3tc

Post by Skism » Thu, 24. Jan 13, 03:56

Perhaps it is misleading however

A tractor beam uses 2000 MJ a Mistral has 850 MJ of maximum energy hence it will be unable to fire,

-Thomas Paine-

Terrachova
x3tc

Post by Terrachova » Thu, 24. Jan 13, 07:07

Azorel wrote:Oh nice, so then, would be nice if developers can delete that out, cos it misleads players and it's annoying!
Now this means I must gather lots of money to buy an M6 ship... I sure hope I won't wake up that the ship I buy will NOT BE COMPATIBLE again ... I swear I will throw the game to my dog and chew it up.. he likes to chew CD/DVD-s a lot. :evil:
If you're in TC, you could do the Terran plot until you get the free M6... I believe that works with the Tractor Beam. Argon plot nets you an M6 too, I think.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 24. Jan 13, 11:28

@ Azorel: No one is going to be rewriting a 2008 game now, especially for a shortcut that was specifically taken to allow all the different in-game weapons to be displayed in a way that fits the screen. I really don't see how you have wasted any in-game money either. You have 2 perfectly good TS to use and a Tractor Beam for when you get an M6 or TL. So what have you wasted apart from a little bit of time in-game?

The Tractor Beam FAQ 2nd paragraph was written by the developers just to help avoid this situation.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Rhox
x4

Post by Rhox » Thu, 24. Jan 13, 12:30

Skism wrote:Hmm couple of things you only need to shoot once if you are holding fire then it won't do it.

"While technically "compatible", the tractor beam cannot actually be used by ships smaller than M6 corvettes, due to the energy requirements. From Nanook's post on the Egosoft X3 forum : "Tractor beams are really designed to be used by M6's, TL's and larger ships. The fact that they fit on a Mercury is probably due to the fact that all 'special weapons' are lumped together - tractor beam, repair laser, mobile drilling system (mining laser). If it can mount one, it can mount them all. Most likely, that Mercury was designed to mount a MDS, so it can also mount, but not use, the TB. In short, get an M6."

That statement is not entirely true. If I remember correctly, the Miner version of the Split Caiman (don't know how it's called exactly in the english version) has enough laser energy to use a TB. At 756.707 Cr, it is rather cheap compared to M6s and TLs and also is rather small. If you just need to use the Tractor Beam right now, get the Caiman. If you want a ship that can also be used for other purposes than moving stations and trading, get an M6 or TL.

best regards,
Rhox
"Warnung: Frachtraum ist.....Frachtraum enthält nun: Khaak Zerstörer" -"Cool!"

http://www.seizewell.de - die ultimative deutsche Ressource zur X-Reihe
http://www.x-lexikon.xibo.at -ein deutsches Wiki zur X-Reihe

Skism
x3tc

Post by Skism » Thu, 24. Jan 13, 14:24

Rhox wrote:
Skism wrote:Hmm couple of things you only need to shoot once if you are holding fire then it won't do it.

That statement is not entirely true. If I remember correctly, the Miner version of the Split Caiman (don't know how it's called exactly in the english version) has enough laser energy to use a TB. At 756.707 Cr, it is rather cheap compared to M6s and TLs and also is rather small. If you just need to use the Tractor Beam right now, get the Caiman. If you want a ship that can also be used for other purposes than moving stations and trading, get an M6 or TL.

best regards,
Rhox
You can blame Nanook then ;) he wrote it....

Though to be fair that seems the only ship that can and by pure fluke really it will also as a side note take quite a lot of time to regen...

Oh one last thing if you do want a Caimen miner Family Pride Family Rhy Patriarch's Conclusion Rhonkar's Might Rhonkar's Trial Zyarth's Dominion are the shipyards that sell it :)

-Thomas Paine-

aXeldk
x3tc

Post by aXeldk » Sun, 17. Feb 13, 00:13

Where can I find a guide or tut for using this thing :S I got no clue and cant read myself out of it
Life is difficult for the marine stored in the hold of an unaware player

Azorel

Post by Azorel » Sun, 17. Feb 13, 01:25

If you fallow the mission you will get a Vidar ship, that can use the tractor beam but you must enter to the turret so that you can fire it up.
If not them buy an M6 ship or capture one and use that tractor beam, ignore what it is writing on the info and what ships can use it, as some players reply back to me, you need a ship with +2000 MJ power.
Have a nice day.

sadron
x3tc

Post by sadron » Sun, 17. Feb 13, 02:56

My Vidar did tractor beam stuff for me in AP.

aXeldk
x3tc

Post by aXeldk » Sun, 17. Feb 13, 15:29

but how does it work?
target station
enter turret
fire beam at station
leave turret to pilot seat
fly to where you want the station relocated to
press fire again?
fly away?

or how :?

Azorel

Post by Azorel » Sun, 17. Feb 13, 17:01

Just fallow CdrDave tutorials:
http://www.youtube.com/user/CdrDave/vid ... rid&view=1

I learned a lot from his tut. and he explain everything nicely, you just need time to watch it and do what he did.
I don't recall it in what tut. nr. but he explain how to use tractor beam.
But shortly this is how I did:

Take my Vidar, put tractor beam in one of his turret, go near the station what I want to tract, shot 1 time in station and a green ?!? (don't remember well) beam will lock on station, now you must go under 60 speed and bring the station where you need it.
Didn't played this game like 2 weeks now, so I forgot things; my RL is much more important then this game.
Good luck.

aXeldk
x3tc

Post by aXeldk » Sun, 17. Feb 13, 19:00

Most aprieciated my friend :D

kgkosio
x4

Post by kgkosio » Tue, 19. Feb 13, 02:33

The tractor beam can be placed in the main weapon slot and will work just fine for towing stations.
Fan of the save game manager by badger
Best Steam DiD death: Fly into a TL repeatatly while repairing it

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”