You Steaming Pile of Teladi!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Treetop69

You Steaming Pile of Teladi!

Post by Treetop69 » Thu, 24. Jan 13, 20:55

Why do Teladi use their own racial name as an insult that is suposed to mean 'shit' or 'fecal matter'

Itd be like if a guy cut me off while drviving so i lean out the window and yell "Hey you steaming piece of HUMAN! watch it you damned PERSON!"

it makes no sense, at all, in any way.

So why do the teladi do it?

estevesbk

Post by estevesbk » Thu, 24. Jan 13, 20:57

The alien languages stopped making sense to me after "You want Split?"

I mean, Split are asking if I want them? What the...

Treetop69

Post by Treetop69 » Thu, 24. Jan 13, 21:01

I assumed "You want split?" was the split talking in the 3rd person, which i guess could work for aliens.

the insulting your enemy by calling them your racial name though?

steelgrey75
x3ap

Post by steelgrey75 » Thu, 24. Jan 13, 21:19

Well I suppose its like those aliens in Mass Effect, the Hanar, they usually refer to themselves in the third person. I guess thats the thing with aliens, their language and the way they speak can be as alien as their appearance can be.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 24. Jan 13, 21:20

Considering how competitive and self-centred/profit-centred the Teladi are, I suspect that they do not like their parent race all that much as it supplies all their more competent and feared competitors.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 24. Jan 13, 21:37

The real meanings of euphemisms and cliches often get lost in translations, even among humans. :wink:

'Steaming Teladi' could be referring to the fact that Teladi are cold-blooded lizards and 'steaming' is generally a bad thing. Or it could be referring to steaming as being really mad, i.e., 'hot under the collar'. Or maybe it's simply been 'google translated' into something that makes no sense at all. :roll:
:lol:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Treetop69

Post by Treetop69 » Thu, 24. Jan 13, 21:58

what is the teladi parent race? ive been spending alot of time on the X3 wiki, learning the lore. is there a better spot than the wiki?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 24. Jan 13, 22:04

"what is the teladi parent race?" - the Teladi race, I would venture.

Treetop69

Post by Treetop69 » Thu, 24. Jan 13, 22:12

then how do they hate their own parent race? im sorry if i mis understood, but the way it was typed seemed to imply that the teladi had a different race of beings that spawned them ALSO named teladi that they had a distaste for.

estevesbk

Post by estevesbk » Thu, 24. Jan 13, 23:46

Universal Translator 2.0 - Upgraded, Bugfixed and now available at the best Equipment Docks! Understand better any alien when talking to them! *

*Does not include support for Xenon or Kha'ak. Read the Manual for other limitations.

Well, that would sell... :roll:

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 25. Jan 13, 10:53

@ Treetop69: Just a semantics misunderstanding of a ventured opinion of lore. The parent race of any Teladi individual is the Teladi race. Just like your parent race would be the Human race (whatever country and background you come from). Sadly, it is also quite possible for a human individual to hate the Human race; fortunately very few do (and we are getting rather Off Topic now).

Vayde
x3tc

Post by Vayde » Fri, 25. Jan 13, 22:10

Lets be honest here. The original meeting between a Human and Teladi was handled by a human built voice translator and it took several attempts just to get one coherent sentence. Even so, instead of sounding like a bad Stephen Hawking impression it managed to get all the lisps and nuances of that voice and relay it back.

Over the years the electronic architecture has come on in leaps and bounds to give us what we have now, a true universal translator that gets it right, first time, every time.

Can you imagine just how much further on we would be now if they had hired better voice actors :p
Still life in the old dog yet...

Aragosnat
x4

Post by Aragosnat » Fri, 25. Jan 13, 22:13

Vayde wrote:Lets be honest here. The original meeting between a Human and Teladi was handled by a human built voice translator and it took several attempts just to get one coherent sentence. Even so, instead of sounding like a bad Stephen Hawking impression it managed to get all the lisps and nuances of that voice and relay it back.

Over the years the electronic architecture has come on in leaps and bounds to give us what we have now, a true universal translator that gets it right, first time, every time.

Can you imagine just how much further on we would be now if they had hired better voice actors :p
They hired someone? Thought it was a gift from a fan? :P
Chain Maille Armor
Profitzz
May this spacefly bother you.
[ external image ]
TC: 32+ Squidie (Steam DiD) deaths and counting since around June 18, 2012.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 25. Jan 13, 22:16

In The Beginning, there were no fans, because in The Beginning, there was no game. A good proportion of the voice acting is from The Beginning. Does that help? :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

sadron
x3tc

Post by sadron » Fri, 25. Jan 13, 22:20

Alan Phipps wrote:Considering how competitive and self-centered/profit-centered the Teladi are, I suspect that they do not like their parent race all that much as it supplies all their more competent and feared competitors.
Parent race?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 25. Jan 13, 22:28

@ sadron. <Sigh> See 4 posts up from yours.

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Fri, 25. Jan 13, 23:25

estevesbk wrote:Universal Translator 2.0 - Upgraded, Bugfixed and now available at the best Equipment Docks! Understand better any alien when talking to them! *

*Does not include support for Xenon or Kha'ak. Read the Manual for other limitations.

Well, that would sell... :roll:
Well, I did make an English-Split dictionary when I was working on Scion's DiD ... Wonder how much I could charge for that? :D
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D

DiDs:
Eye of the storm Completed
Eye of the storm - book 2 Inactive
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”