X³: Reunion - Linux support thread

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Sun, 27. Jan 13, 23:38

etonbears wrote: 1. Occasional pauses, not really worked out a pattern yet.
2. Argon One buzzes like a mosquito on steroids :) The pitch is constant and high, so I would guess that the sample is being played back at a multiple of the correct frequency. Also, there appears to be no doppler on it to account for movement.
3. The game filled up my hard disk with 67GB of .xsession-errors. This caused a lack of space crash in Farnham's Legend. The content of the file was just these 2 lines repeated...
1, 2 I'm aware of will deal with them sooner or later.
3. Ouch I don't even have any such logging, I understand you just normally run X3R from steam? I'm disabling input debug, and redirecting any stderr to stdout which I hope will solve this (and still give me the output I might need), please verify when it's updated.

Also I just realized I disabled the intro before... I'm obviously not getting enough sleep here;p I'll respond to the other messages a bit later (need to eat something).

etonbears
x4

Post by etonbears » Mon, 28. Jan 13, 01:07

timon37 wrote:
etonbears wrote: 1. Occasional pauses, not really worked out a pattern yet.
2. Argon One buzzes like a mosquito on steroids :) The pitch is constant and high, so I would guess that the sample is being played back at a multiple of the correct frequency. Also, there appears to be no doppler on it to account for movement.
3. The game filled up my hard disk with 67GB of .xsession-errors. This caused a lack of space crash in Farnham's Legend. The content of the file was just these 2 lines repeated...
1, 2 I'm aware of will deal with them sooner or later.
3. Ouch I don't even have any such logging, I understand you just normally run X3R from steam? I'm disabling input debug, and redirecting any stderr to stdout which I hope will solve this (and still give me the output I might need), please verify when it's updated.

Also I just realized I disabled the intro before... I'm obviously not getting enough sleep here;p I'll respond to the other messages a bit later (need to eat something).
Hi Timon,

I'd forgotten about the intro too :)

I wasn't quite accurate in my description of the xsession-errors file. MOST of it was as above, but after looking at it using head/tail there were plenty of other entries that looked like malloc/free notifications and other programmer comments/queries/warnings.

I've saved those entries if you need to see them, but deleted the rest otherwise my system will become unstable ( this is the Desktop, not the laptop, btw ).

Also, I found that the RADEON driver on my laptop was just too sluggish to bear ( not to mention that neither the half-life or counter-strike betas even work with it ), so I reverted to an older xorg that allowed me to use FGLRX, and that works much better - very smooth and playable even on a Mobility HD3870.

I'll update and try again; happy feeding/sleeping :)

ReveArek

Post by ReveArek » Mon, 28. Jan 13, 12:23

Hi. Are You going to make some updated build for LGP version users, or we have to buy the game again :-(

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Mon, 28. Jan 13, 13:11

@Mellen
Thanks for all the info. I just realized that 16x probably additionally enables transparency AA which would explain everything. Please make screenshots of the main menu (it's easier to tell what's happening in there). Post those screenshots in the "blured text" thread.
Night Nord wrote: 1. I don't get intro movie only. Other sequences including briefings and "on-planet ambush" of second mission are playing very well.
2. Disk latency? I have 16Gb of RAM, I'll try to just place whole game into tmpfs and check if it works better. (Generally linux distros are using CFQ as default disk scheduler, so application may have less exclusive access to disk than in windows case).
3. Nevermind, it seems to be caused by interference from other application trying to break though fullscreen mode. Now I remember that fglrx was always behaving like that - it has special mode for fullscreen applications and screen blinks black when it switches from this special mode to normal as requested by WM.
4. I don't remember it too. In X3:TC ion disruptor was like a lightning from your ship to other ship. Here it is like huge white segmented cone spreading from enemy ship towards you. This white cone also remains even after ship stopped shooting. I'll get it soon (currently I've only observed it on enemy ships) and give you screenshot/savegame. At least I think that this is ion disruptor - it makes my shields cry and kills all equipment with frightening speed.
5, It should be. There is a lot of Shift+something keybindings already - shift-J for jumpdrive as example. But you can't assign it. I were always using shift+D for docking computer, but now I'm forced to use ] for this.
1. Yeah my bad.
2. It's mostly building ibo's, vbo's and uploading them, though I'm guessing a bit here.
3. Ohh well, one of the minor inconveniences of linux I guess;p
4. Ok, thanks.
5. Yep working on input stuff now.
Night Nord wrote:
timon37 wrote:Just play a bit more and it'll crash;p
14 ingame hours. I'm almost completed Bala-Gi missions (I'm rushing to hyperion using googled secrets, so I may rush though campaign afterwards ;p). Crashed only once with floating point exception while chasing Khaak scout into Unknown Sector below Mists of Elysium, but it could be due Bonus Pack installed. Not reproducible.

Speaking of Mists of Elysium - sectors from "Reservoir of Tranquility" to "Mists of Elysium" (including) + "Dark Waters" (all with some red nebula) missing skybox. I'll attach screenshot/savegame as soon as I'll get to it next time =)
That's mostly good I guess. Regarding the float crash, search for a "core" file in the game folder and send it to me. And waiting for all the screenshots/savegames:)
etonbears wrote: I've saved those entries if you need to see them, but deleted the rest otherwise my system will become unstable ( this is the Desktop, not the laptop, btw ).
Nah delete them, they're only useful right before a crash.
etonbears wrote: Also, I found that the RADEON driver on my laptop was just too sluggish to bear ( not to mention that neither the half-life or counter-strike betas even work with it ), so I reverted to an older xorg that allowed me to use FGLRX, and that works much better - very smooth and playable even on a Mobility HD3870.
Yep that's the situation right now unfortunately.
ReveArek wrote:Hi. Are You going to make some updated build for LGP version users, or we have to buy the game again :-(
I'll have an answer soon.

Night Nord
x4

Post by Night Nord » Mon, 28. Jan 13, 19:23

1. Yeah my bad.
Did you fixed that? I'm suddenly got the intro video when I started the game last time =) Now it works. If you haven't done anything then probably it was just a fglrx driver bug.

Code: Select all

----
Loaded Cut 50130 [others\argon_gate_scene]
Loaded Cut 50320 [ships\paranid\paranid_M5_var2_yaki_scene]
Loaded Cut 50318 [ships\paranid\paranid_M4_var3_yaki_scene]
Loaded Cut 50312 [ships\teladi\teladi_M4_var3_scene]
----
Warning!  Some triangles have zero area!
----
Loaded Cut 50144 [ships\argon\argon_M3_scene]
Loaded Cut 50241 [ships\paranid\paranid_M4_yaki_scene]
----
----
Loaded Cut 4210 [cut\04210]
Loaded Cut 50265 [ships\split\split_M3_var1_scene]
ST_UnloadCut() cut 2224 start
[000000]->[07969b]#2100[2100].WarpToSector(18, 9, 18, 10, -1626, -1849)
[079924]->[07472b]#-502(2009)[2009].WarpEnterSector(-374, -1626)
[07479a]->[0d410c]#3001[3001].TestQuests()
[0d4146]->[0d4cba]#3001[3001].CheckBBSQuests()
[0d4d0e]->[0fcda8]#-49990(4307)[4307].Check()
[0fd3e2]->[0fe76b]#-49990(4307)[4307].CreateYacht()
[0fe7c4]->[05b874]#-56157(2027)[2004].SetHighlighted()
../X3/X3/engines/story.cpp:4527: BOOL StoryBaseClass::SB_RunTask(StoryTask*): Assertion `("Not enough arguments passed to story function, see call stack dump", 0)' failed.
/home/night/Steam/SteamApps/common/X3 - Reunion/testandlaunch: line 28:  3704 Аварийный останов         ./$1
Bala Gi mission, entering second Unknown sector beyound Maelstorm (with Hyperion).

xz'ed core, savegame and full log (from steam start to end): here
Just use jumpdrive and jump to the south gate in first Unknown Sector - it's revealed already.
That's mostly good I guess. Regarding the float crash, search for a "core" file in the game folder and send it to me. And waiting for all the screenshots/savegames:)
Sorry, no core for float crash - I have no habbit to enable coredumps (ulimit -c unlimited) for playing games :p

Screenshots/savegame for weird boron sectors: here

No savegame for Ion distruptor yet =( - I'm working on it. Lazy borons/argons can't get their stuff together and make at least one =(
Last edited by Night Nord on Mon, 28. Jan 13, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.

MrPopinjay

Post by MrPopinjay » Mon, 28. Jan 13, 22:14

Just installed, seems to be working nicely except you can't alt-tab out. I configured it to show the mouse when you move it and that allows me to move the mouse out of the window and select other windows but X3 keeps stealing mouse focus every 3 seconds or so which makes multitasking impossible. I had to quit the game to type this :(

I also can increase the volumes but cannot decrease them.

Sitting on the main menu doing nothing causes X3 to max out one of my CPU's cores, that doesn't seem right to me. CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz
jiveaxe wrote: XBox controller works, but some keys must be configured.
Really? How did you do that? Mine is recognised by X3 and sorta works but you can't assign anything to the D pad, R3, L3 or the shoulder buttons (I think) and X3 thinks the trigger buttons are analogue sticks so you can't map anything to them as far as I can tell. Except things like pitch and such but that just leaves you spinning in one direction since they don't sit in a dead zone in the middle.

MrPopinjay

Post by MrPopinjay » Mon, 28. Jan 13, 23:14

I would also like to report that X3 seems to have increased my mouse sensitivity :(

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Mon, 28. Jan 13, 23:30

Night Nord wrote:
1. Yeah my bad.
Did you fixed that? I'm suddenly got the intro video when I started the game last time =) Now it works. If you haven't done anything then probably it was just a fglrx driver bug.
Yeah it was me.
Night Nord wrote:

----
Loaded Cut 50130 [others\argon_gate_scene]
Loaded Cut 50320 [ships\paranid\paranid_M5_var2_yaki_scene]
Loaded Cut 50318 [ships\paranid\paranid_M4_var3_yaki_scene]
Loaded Cut 50312 [ships\teladi\teladi_M4_var3_scene]
----
----
Loaded Cut 50144 [ships\argon\argon_M3_scene]
Loaded Cut 50241 [ships\paranid\paranid_M4_yaki_scene]
----
----
Loaded Cut 4210 [cut\04210]
Loaded Cut 50265 [ships\split\split_M3_var1_scene]
ST_UnloadCut() cut 2224 start
[000000]->[07969b]#2100[2100].WarpToSector(18, 9, 18, 10, -1626, -1849)
[079924]->[07472b]#-502(2009)[2009].WarpEnterSector(-374, -1626)
[07479a]->[0d410c]#3001[3001].TestQuests()
[0d4146]->[0d4cba]#3001[3001].CheckBBSQuests()
[0d4d0e]->[0fcda8]#-49990(4307)[4307].Check()
[0fd3e2]->[0fe76b]#-49990(4307)[4307].CreateYacht()
[0fe7c4]->[05b874]#-56157(2027)[2004].SetHighlighted()
../X3/X3/engines/story.cpp:4527: BOOL StoryBaseClass::SB_RunTask(StoryTask*): Assertion `("Not enough arguments passed to story function, see call stack dump", 0)' failed.
/home/night/Steam/SteamApps/common/X3 - Reunion/testandlaunch: line 28:  3704 Аварийный останов         ./$1
Bala Gi mission, entering second Unknown sector beyound Maelstorm (with Hyperion).

xz'ed core, savegame and full log (from steam start to end): here
Just use jumpdrive and jump to the south gate in first Unknown Sector - it's revealed already.
Ok thanks, might be harder than the other asserts, but I'll try to fix it asap.
Night Nord wrote:
Sorry, no core for float crash - I have no habbit to enable coredumps (ulimit -c unlimited) for playing games :p

Screenshots/savegame for weird boron sectors: here

No savegame for Ion distruptor yet =( - I'm working on it. Lazy borons/argons can't get their stuff together and make at least one =(
And thanks again:)
MrPopinjay wrote:Just installed, seems to be working nicely except you can't alt-tab out. I configured it to show the mouse when you move it and that allows me to move the mouse out of the window and select other windows but X3 keeps stealing mouse focus every 3 seconds or so which makes multitasking impossible. I had to quit the game to type this :(
Hmm you mean the Input grabbing option set to 1? It works for me, it does grab the mouse whenever it's hidden again (e.g. during loading, movies, some cutscenes) but not every 3sec.
Which desktop environment, window manager, and distro do you have? And what are the focus settings like "focus under mouse", "slopy focus", "click to rise", "raise after delay" etc.
MrPopinjay wrote: I also can increase the volumes but cannot decrease them.

Sitting on the main menu doing nothing causes X3 to max out one of my CPU's cores, that doesn't seem right to me. CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz
jiveaxe wrote: XBox controller works, but some keys must be configured.
Really? How did you do that? Mine is recognised by X3 and sorta works but you can't assign anything to the D pad, R3, L3 or the shoulder buttons (I think) and X3 thinks the trigger buttons are analogue sticks so you can't map anything to them as far as I can tell. Except things like pitch and such but that just leaves you spinning in one direction since they don't sit in a dead zone in the middle.
Yeah there's a few issues here, first X3 isn't designed for triggers (I'm actually also implementing xbox360 gamepad support for TC and AP, but we probably won't backport it all the way to reunion), furthermore sdl is limited and maps everything into [-1, 1] and doesn't expose any of the hints usb-hid specifiel and evdev exposes. There are a few ways, simplest to do some configurable remapping before passing the data to the engine, which I'll probably do, though a bit later;p

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Mon, 28. Jan 13, 23:37

MrPopinjay wrote:I would also like to report that X3 seems to have increased my mouse sensitivity :(
You mean the os sensitivity? Or that the ingame sensitivity appears to be greater than the os one, or it suddenly became greater?

MrPopinjay

Post by MrPopinjay » Tue, 29. Jan 13, 00:08

timon37 wrote:
MrPopinjay wrote:Just installed, seems to be working nicely except you can't alt-tab out. I configured it to show the mouse when you move it and that allows me to move the mouse out of the window and select other windows but X3 keeps stealing mouse focus every 3 seconds or so which makes multitasking impossible. I had to quit the game to type this :(
Hmm you mean the Input grabbing option set to 1? It works for me, it does grab the mouse whenever it's hidden again (e.g. during loading, movies, some cutscenes) but not every 3sec.
Which desktop environment, window manager, and distro do you have? And what are the focus settings like "focus under mouse", "slopy focus", "click to rise", "raise after delay" etc.
I hit ctrl-g so the mouse can leave the window and then make the cursor show up either by using the option where it pops up when you move the mouse or by a hotkey and whenever I move the mouse outside the window after ~3 seconds the cursor is teleported back to the nearest edge of X3's window and X3 is refocused. If I am doing something like clicking and dragging a scroll bar when this happens it doesn't move the cursor and X3 sounds are silenced until either I refocus on the X3 window or it focuses itself after another ~3 seconds has passed.
I'm using Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon with sloppy focus.

It seems to have increased my OS sensitivity.

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Tue, 29. Jan 13, 00:59

@MrPopinjay

Go into the config and unset "Always grab cursor" then it should only grab it when you're steering the ship (or the cursor is hidden in game so movies etc). Try it and tell me if that meets your needs.

MrPopinjay

Post by MrPopinjay » Tue, 29. Jan 13, 01:30

I relaunched the game and had a look for that option but I couldn't find it. However it doesn't seem to be doing it any more, which is strange since I have not changed anything.

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Tue, 29. Jan 13, 01:36

In the dialog you get when you launch the game, second button from top "input device", bottom left corner of the new window. Ctrl+g isn't really meant to be in the final release (or at least not as ctrl+g) it's mostly for debugging purposes right now.

johndrinkwater

Post by johndrinkwater » Tue, 29. Jan 13, 16:02

Hey,
A trivial bug, and i’m forwarding this from the steam for linux bug tracker, X3 is missing an icon! When users create a desktop short‐cut they get the generic steam icon.

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam- ... t-12820637

bladerunner_92
x3tc

Post by bladerunner_92 » Tue, 29. Jan 13, 18:50

Hey, has anyone figured out a way to run the game using optirun and still have it with Steam integration? The best I could do in the 5 minutes I had was to create a small script that does:

cd /path/to/game
optirun ./X3R_config 
Then make a .desktop file for it, add it to Steam as a non-Steam game, then run it from there.

Is there a

-steam
or similar cmd-line flag (like TF2 has) for the binary that would make my life less miserable? :)

etonbears
x4

Post by etonbears » Tue, 29. Jan 13, 19:24

Desktop: 64bit Ubuntu 12.10 / X79 Motherboard / Intel 3820 Processor / 16GB / AMD 5850 / FGLRX / Realtek ALC898

No longer have massive .xsession-errors file after your update. Thanks.

Have found a sector that seems to have broken texture compression ( as you outlined in your known issues ). Thing is, I'm using FGLRX and have the texture compression package you mention, so I should not get this, I think.

I do not recall Reservoir of Tranquility being like this in Windows, but I have not looked again yet.

Have sent you a PNG and SAV in your e-mail. Undock, and take the west gate into RoT...

edit: MrPopinjay also reports finding this.
edit: Dark Waters (west of ROT) also has this problem, but Depths of Silence, west of Dark Waters does not.
Last edited by etonbears on Wed, 30. Jan 13, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.

Rompetroll

Post by Rompetroll » Tue, 29. Jan 13, 21:43

Hey. Thanks for bringin x3 to Steam 4 Linux. Love you guys.

I have one issu wich bugs me. My Joystick a Logitech Extreme 3d pro works flawless exept the throttel axis dosnt work at all, also he game auto maps the Roll axis (twisting the stick) as throttle.

Also iv noticed that my keybord seems to hang up after a while in game. I'm unsure of how to give you any more information on this sorry.

Again thanks for bringing x3 to us, Any information on (if) the remaining titels in x-series will be ported also?

# include <mug_of_beer>
tux4ever

AlphaSite
x3tc

Post by AlphaSite » Tue, 29. Jan 13, 21:48

Hope you dont mind me asking, but does this mean we can get the Mac ports of (any of) the games on steam? Because they're available, but not via steam.

P0W3R_p4cK
x3ap

Post by P0W3R_p4cK » Tue, 29. Jan 13, 22:04

Rompetroll wrote: I have one issu wich bugs me. My Joystick a Logitech Extreme 3d pro works flawless exept the throttel axis dosnt work at all, also he game auto maps the Roll axis (twisting the stick) as throttle.
I have the same bug with Genius MetalStrike3D

My system Athlon x2 6000, 4GB Ram OCZ, Mb MSI k9n neo f, Video 8800GT 512mb, Ubuntu 12.10 X64.
Bug: game freeze when caching video materials like game videos, faces, videotextures. but, when video cached game works great.

MrPopinjay

Post by MrPopinjay » Wed, 30. Jan 13, 01:35

Been playing far too much and I'm having lots of fun! Here's some issues I've encountered:

Other ships sound really weird when they get close, like an electronic buzzing or something.

Sometimes portraits flicker to different people while in a looping animation. They always flicker at the same point in the animation.

This is what the reservoir of tranquillity looks like :P
http://imgur.com/iGkxBlr

System info from steam: http://pastebin.com/KvQA9R7L

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”