[X3:AP] Do turrets lead targets?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Blaank
x3ap

[X3:AP] Do turrets lead targets?

Post by Blaank » Fri, 25. Jan 13, 23:21

(I searched around for twenty minutes and ten threads checking the forums and could not find any turret thread that addressed this.)

Do turrets lead their targets in vanilla X3:AP?

I've been unable to tell for sure if they lead targets or not. They do fire at ships that have a large lead according to my main guns but the ships take no damage. I'm not sure if the enemy ships don't take any damage due to not leading, missing because of evasive maneuvers, or doing exactly enough damage to keep the shield at the same point. My turrets do hit targets if they are stationary, or coming directly towards or away from me. That's why I'm suspicious if they lead or not. I cannot tell by watching the laser if it is hitting the target or missing. This happens against all ship types. I am using a weapon that has 2000m/s speed in my turrets and using only that type of weapon.

Master of the Blade
x3tc

Post by Master of the Blade » Sat, 26. Jan 13, 00:16

Yes, all AI controlled weapons will lead their target. However, bullet speeds are so slow on the whole that any small change in the target's course will result in a miss. This is especially noticable with weapons like the ISR against fighters.
Allergic to work.

If at first you don't succeed, delegate the job to a minion.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 26. Jan 13, 00:25

Blaank wrote:(I searched around for twenty minutes and ten threads checking the forums and could not find any turret thread that addressed this.)
That's because few ever ask clear and specific questions that are a joy to answer.

You can mix lasers in one physical turret and they will still use their individual target lead prediction.

That the TLP was never told about the "drift" feature of X3's flight mechanics is not it's fault. =)
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Blaank
x3ap

Post by Blaank » Sat, 26. Jan 13, 00:43

So they are mostly missing because they only check speed and orientation during lead calculations? And not checking if they are turning and factoring that into the prediction as well?

In short, if a ship is turning, the AI will fire at where the ship would be if it were going in a straight line, thus missing all shots.?

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Sat, 26. Jan 13, 00:45

Yes.

And as Gazz mentions, they don't handle strafing at all.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 26. Jan 13, 01:00

Which is why a capital ship at long range will miss you by something like 3 km if you use strafing.
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Sat, 26. Jan 13, 01:05

So they are mostly missing because they only check speed and orientation during lead calculations? And not checking if they are turning and factoring that into the prediction as well?
Yes that's how leading works... predicting where the target will be next. Turning also changes constantly, so it wouldn't be much better if it was calculated. Predicting =! Knowing.
You could analyze the flightpattern of AI ships and propably write a script that determines the future position, but that would be cheating essentially.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 26. Jan 13, 01:13

Killjaeden wrote:You could analyze the flightpattern of AI ships and propably write a script that determines the future position, but that would be cheating essentially.
It's not easy. I tried. Computers are terrible at guessing.
Best you can do is judge the rate of course change... which is part of how MARS picks the juiciest targets. (from a turret's perspective)

A turning capital ship (Hah! You call that turning?) might still warrant a barrage of PPC bullets while a turning fighter at medium range might cease to be a target for anything but Flak bullets.
A fighter doing a nice, straight attack run on me? Oh YUMMY!

Blaank
x3ap

Post by Blaank » Sat, 26. Jan 13, 02:28

I would like a really minimal script that changes turret AI to take into account the rate of turn in the shot lead calculations. The one thing vanilla doesn't do that makes everything miss. I don't want a mod with lots of extra stuff, but I may have to deal with that.

Are there any such mods that change this one aspect of turret AI, and if so what are they?

Thank you for the help. I know what I'm dealing with now.

DeathKnight505

Post by DeathKnight505 » Sat, 26. Jan 13, 04:54

You can use this to your advantage as well when using a Capital against a Capital while using the WASD keys at random and at long range, Yes the AI will still make hits but only about a third of the time

pref
x4

Post by pref » Sat, 26. Jan 13, 13:52

Blaank wrote:I would like a really minimal script that changes turret AI to take into account the rate of turn in the shot lead calculations. The one thing vanilla doesn't do that makes everything miss. I don't want a mod with lots of extra stuff, but I may have to deal with that.

Are there any such mods that change this one aspect of turret AI, and if so what are they?

I think what you want here is some kind of jedi power that would tell you exactly what your opponent is planning to do in the next few secs. Its just not possible. AI can change its course any time just like you, thus invalidatig any previous prediction. Regardless if it was done by the AI or your own brain.

Or you could use beam weapons (at least in TC), they dont need time to hit the target, so no need to predict there :D

jack775544
x4

Post by jack775544 » Sat, 26. Jan 13, 22:23

Blaank wrote:I would like a really minimal script that changes turret AI to take into account the rate of turn in the shot lead calculations. The one thing vanilla doesn't do that makes everything miss. I don't want a mod with lots of extra stuff, but I may have to deal with that.

It's not exactly small but you could try MARS. If there is something that you want a turret script to do then this script can do it.
1940s - Various "computers" are "programmed" using direct wiring and switches. Engineers do this in order to avoid the tabs vs spaces debate.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 27. Jan 13, 11:38

.... Gazz said above "It's not easy. I tried. Computers are terrible at guessing. Best you can do is judge the rate of course change... which is part of how MARS picks the juiciest targets. (from a turret's perspective)
" Also Gazz developed MARS.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”