Buying an M6 now, loadout advice needed.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

kizito
xr

Buying an M6 now, loadout advice needed.

Post by kizito » Sat, 2. Feb 13, 07:19

Okay, so I'm going to be buying a Heavy Centaur for my first M6, as the enemies in the plot are starting to show up in M6's, but I need some loadout advice since I've never used an M6.

Edit: So I added PAC's to the side turrets and PRG's to the back turrets, as for front guns I'm not sure.
Last edited by kizito on Sat, 2. Feb 13, 09:06, edited 1 time in total.

sadron
x3tc

Post by sadron » Sat, 2. Feb 13, 09:25

The Heavy Centaur has the laser capacitor energy needed to power some of the good corvette weapons. I would personally recommend you do a full loadout of 6 High Energy Plasma Throwers and then for your turrets either use Phased Repeater Guns or Particle Accelerator Cannons, due to their fast projectile speed and fairly decent damage.

Condonis

Post by Condonis » Sat, 2. Feb 13, 09:32

The loadout will probably depend on which plot are you referring to.

There have been several threads on this topic. Delray suggested EBC's in the main guns and PBG's in the turrets in this thread:

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=3371980

I reduced the EBC's up front to 4 and added 2 PBG's for some extra spice :D

Works wonders when you are facing heaps of M4's and M5's, the PBG's in the turrets just barbeque them without you having to touch the main guns :lol:

Note that the ordinary Centaur can't mount PBG's in the turrets, only the Heavy Centaur can.

[Edit] Note that EBC's require ammo, but they don't take up too much space
What you may call an exploit, I call a feature.

kizito
xr

Post by kizito » Sat, 2. Feb 13, 09:50

I haven't been able to find a spot to buy the ammo for EBC's lol. Plus if I have to restock often, I'd consider it a pain. I'll try HEPT's for now, maybe 4x HEPT's and 2x PBG's?

Condonis

Post by Condonis » Sat, 2. Feb 13, 09:58

You could try the HEPTs from long range then throw in the PBGs when you get close, as their range is quite midgety.
What you may call an exploit, I call a feature.

Rhox
x4

Post by Rhox » Sat, 2. Feb 13, 11:14

I'd personally stick to the much stronger CIGs in your main turrets as they're more effective than HEPTs or EBCs. As for the turrets, PRGs are sufficient for missile defense and destroying smaller fighters. If you also want to take on bigger fighters with you turrets alone, go for HEPTs or EBCs.

best regards,
Rhox
"Warnung: Frachtraum ist.....Frachtraum enthält nun: Khaak Zerstörer" -"Cool!"

http://www.seizewell.de - die ultimative deutsche Ressource zur X-Reihe
http://www.x-lexikon.xibo.at -ein deutsches Wiki zur X-Reihe

Lone Jedi
x3tc

Post by Lone Jedi » Sat, 2. Feb 13, 12:07

Go all PBGs. You can kill anything in no time, provided that you know how to evade fire from close combat and know the blind spots of capital ships.

Otherwise CIGs as main guns and PRGs for turrets.
I live in my Vidar.

Laser hit efficiency: 97% @190,499 shots
Missile hit efficiency: 97% @4,204 missiles fired

sadron
x3tc

Post by sadron » Sat, 2. Feb 13, 16:40

Rhox wrote:I'd personally stick to the much stronger CIGs in your main turrets as they're more effective than HEPTs or EBCs. As for the turrets, PRGs are sufficient for missile defense and destroying smaller fighters. If you also want to take on bigger fighters with you turrets alone, go for HEPTs or EBCs.

best regards,
Rhox
They're only marginally stronger than the HEPT, are much slower than the HEPT, and have a much lower firing rate of just 75 per minute. The HEPT however has 283 shots per minute, meaning that they'd do a lot more damage over time than a full compliment of CIGs. Seriously there's almost no point in even having CIGs.

Lone Jedi
x3tc

Post by Lone Jedi » Sat, 2. Feb 13, 17:19

sadron wrote:
Rhox wrote:I'd personally stick to the much stronger CIGs in your main turrets as they're more effective than HEPTs or EBCs. As for the turrets, PRGs are sufficient for missile defense and destroying smaller fighters. If you also want to take on bigger fighters with you turrets alone, go for HEPTs or EBCs.

best regards,
Rhox
They're only marginally stronger than the HEPT, are much slower than the HEPT, and have a much lower firing rate of just 75 per minute. The HEPT however has 283 shots per minute, meaning that they'd do a lot more damage over time than a full compliment of CIGs. Seriously there's almost no point in even having CIGs.
Weapon range: CIG 3.46km vs HEPT 2.31km

DPS Shield: CIG 9,800kj vs HEPT 9,400kj

DPS Hull: CIG 3,200 vs HEPT 1,500

CIG is far superior!
I live in my Vidar.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 2. Feb 13, 19:12

sadron wrote:....They're only marginally stronger than the HEPT, are much slower than the HEPT, and have a much lower firing rate of just 75 per minute. The HEPT however has 283 shots per minute, meaning that they'd do a lot more damage over time than a full compliment of CIGs. Seriously there's almost no point in even having CIGs.
So, you'd mount HEPTs in a Heavy Centaur's main battery, reducing its Alpha Strike (not sustained) fire capacity to something less than an M3 Nova, which can mount more HEPTs?

Let the turrets handle the fighters or keep some HEPTs or EBCs in the cargo bay, to change out with the CIGs, if you're worried about fire-rates. There's no reason to chop the Heavy Centaur off at the knees, right out of the dock, by loading it up with only HEPTs.

sadron
x3tc

Post by sadron » Sat, 2. Feb 13, 21:49

Guys I'm talking about DPS. Let's say we're firing the High Energy Plasma Thrower at hull only, for one minute. At 283 shots per minute from 6 guns, doing 1,500 hull damage each, that equates to 2,547,000 Damage.

Now let's take into account the Concussion Impulse Generator's shots per minute, again at hull only. At 75 shots per minute from 6 guns, doing 3,200 hull damage each, we get only 1,440,000 damage in one minute. I'm sorry, but you guys have been out-mathed.

Also, Mork, take into consideration the nova's much smaller laser capacitor and laser recharge compared to the Heavy Centaur. Unlike the Heavy Centaur the Nova does not have the laser capacitor recharge needed in order to sustain an indefinite rate of fire against a target, where as the Heavy Centaur can. Now, if this was OOS combat the OP was talking about, then yes, the Concussion Impulse Generator would be the superior choice. But as this appears to be a ship the OP wishes to fly himself, I am recommending wholeheartedly the High Energy Plasma Thrower OVER the Concussion Impulse Generator.

Lone Jedi
x3tc

Post by Lone Jedi » Sat, 2. Feb 13, 22:09

sadron wrote:Guys I'm talking about DPS. Let's say we're firing the High Energy Plasma Thrower at hull only, for one minute. At 283 shots per minute from 6 guns, doing 1,500 hull damage each, that equates to 2,547,000 Damage.

Now let's take into account the Concussion Impulse Generator's shots per minute, again at hull only. At 75 shots per minute from 6 guns, doing 3,200 hull damage each, we get only 1,440,000 damage in one minute. I'm sorry, but you guys have been out-mathed.

Also, Mork, take into consideration the nova's much smaller laser capacitor and laser recharge compared to the Heavy Centaur. Unlike the Heavy Centaur the Nova does not have the laser capacitor recharge needed in order to sustain an indefinite rate of fire against a target, where as the Heavy Centaur can. Now, if this was OOS combat the OP was talking about, then yes, the Concussion Impulse Generator would be the superior choice. But as this appears to be a ship the OP wishes to fly himself, I am recommending wholeheartedly the High Energy Plasma Thrower OVER the Concussion Impulse Generator.
DPS is damage per second, your calculation is unnecessary and totally wrong.
I live in my Vidar.

sadron
x3tc

Post by sadron » Sat, 2. Feb 13, 22:11

Lone Jedi wrote:
sadron wrote:Guys I'm talking about DPS. Let's say we're firing the High Energy Plasma Thrower at hull only, for one minute. At 283 shots per minute from 6 guns, doing 1,500 hull damage each, that equates to 2,547,000 Damage.

DPS is a generalized term, mostly adopted from my MMO days, but its meaning in terms of damage output is what I was using it for; but it's cute that you think you're proving me wrong. Come back when you know what you're talking about.

Lone Jedi
x3tc

Post by Lone Jedi » Sat, 2. Feb 13, 22:18

sadron wrote:
Lone Jedi wrote:

DPS is a generalized term, mostly adopted from my MMO days, but its meaning in terms of damage output is what I was using it for; but it's cute that you think you're proving me wrong. Come back when you know what you're talking about.
Kid, your emotion clouded your judgement. The math here is absolute, either right or wrong, and you are wrong.
I live in my Vidar.

sadron
x3tc

Post by sadron » Sat, 2. Feb 13, 22:24

So then please, do enlighten me as to why I am wrong about the damage per minute of both weapons. Truly you seem to understand something I don't. I'm all ears.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Sat, 2. Feb 13, 22:27

@Sadron, before this gets personal, a small piece of info.

The in game encyclopedia, from which the dps numbers have been taken in this case is in damage per second. It always has been. It allows players to compare the weapons directly since all calculations have already been done.

There are websites that like to use damage per shot, but they are not cannon ( :P) and the authors have had to use maths to get the numbers for them. From time to time people get this mixed up, try to calculate fresh numbers and end up making the weaker, but faster weapons appear more powerful than the big powerful ones.
Last edited by brucewarren on Sat, 2. Feb 13, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.

sadron
x3tc

Post by sadron » Sat, 2. Feb 13, 22:30

I am simply going by the damage each shot does, bruce. Are you saying that the data for damage against shields and hull are not from each bolt fired? Because personally that makes zero sense to me.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Sat, 2. Feb 13, 22:32

That is so. It might not make sense, but that's what Egosoft did. It means casual players can look at the big guns like GC and PPC and say "whoah, would you look at the the dps on that!" without having to whip out a calculator.
Last edited by brucewarren on Sat, 2. Feb 13, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.

sadron
x3tc

Post by sadron » Sat, 2. Feb 13, 22:34

So, then, would it still be say-able, to coin a word, that the High Energy Plasma Thrower still has an overall damage output lower than the Concussion Impluse Generator? If so, then I will leave with my tail between my legs.

Lone Jedi
x3tc

Post by Lone Jedi » Sat, 2. Feb 13, 22:38

There's nothing personal. By discussion we make the concept clearer. And yes, CIG has better damage output than HEPT as long as the ship has weapon energy.
Last edited by Lone Jedi on Sat, 2. Feb 13, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.
I live in my Vidar.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”