[X2 The Threat] - please help me decide - Ray or Titan?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tonedude
x4

[X2 The Threat] - please help me decide - Ray or Titan?

Post by Tonedude » Wed, 6. Feb 13, 10:02

Hi all,

Been a member here since X2 came out but have not been here in ages, have recently acquired X3AP but wanted to go back and continue my old game in X2 for a while.

I have an Oddy but was looking to buy my 2nd M2. For pure sector killing, nothing can beat the Oddy of course but I am looking for something more versatile this time.

I have read quite a few M2 comparison threads but they all seem to leave me just as undecided. Someone will make an argument for the Ray and I'll think 'That sounds cool' then someone else will interject with a counterpoint for the Titan, that'll me scratching my head again.

I'm looking for something that can have a 'capturing' loadout (IonD's - maybe a few MassDrivers etc) so that a furball could leave me with a few extra ships that bailed, and it will also be put to capturing a K.

Boron Ray pros:

Cheap
Can mount IonD's in all turrets
Quite fast (can outrun a K I believe)
can dock more than average amount of ships

cons:

not much space
looks like something you've pulled out of your nose
can't mount MD's

Argon Titan pros:

looks cool
can mount MD's in all turrets (just something about a MD equipped M2 brings me out in goosebumps)
good cargo space

cons:
slower than a K
can dock one ship less than Ray
costs 15 million more than Ray

I know I've missed a few pro/con arguments, so can anyone help me decide?

Cheers,

Tony.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous - with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - A quote from Q of the Q continuum after spending some time playing the X series of games.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Wed, 6. Feb 13, 10:15

The K is significantly faster than both.
http://roguey.co.uk/x2/ships/class-4/

You will need someting to chip away the hull for capping - all ID (0 hull damage in X2) will not work. The Titan seems more suited to this task (although I would rather use something smaller).

Keep in mind that bailing ships become your property (unlike later games where they become "neutral" derelicts) and may be attacked immediatly.
Right on commander !

Tonedude
x4

Post by Tonedude » Wed, 6. Feb 13, 12:21

Thanks for the info on the K speed - so speed in the Ray is not faster than it?

The other info you mentioned I already knew - I would need to get the K down to 87% hull or less. So 2xIonD's + 1 APPC in a turret to chip away at the hull? or maybe have a docked fighter for the same role?

In either case both the Titan and the Ray would be suited for that, also forgot to mention that the Titan is more manouverable than the Ray (IIRC). Although rolling (yaw) is generally faster than turning in an M2 class, but using the strafe drive is especially useful for them.

Questions, questions and decisions....

Cheers,

Tony.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous - with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - A quote from Q of the Q continuum after spending some time playing the X series of games.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Wed, 6. Feb 13, 13:21

Tonedude wrote: So 2xIonD's + 1 APPC in a turret to chip away at the hull? or maybe have a docked fighter for the same role?
PPC bullets are slow, like most standard guns in X2. You may kill what you intend to capture.
ID+MD seems the only choice if you really want to use a M2 in that role.
Of course, that means staying close to the target, so it will not be easy.
Right on commander !

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 6. Feb 13, 13:22

IonDs on an M2 don't actually work all that well--the range is too short for the size of the ship. If you had to pick between the two ships, though, go for the Ray every time, just because it looks *really cool* with that spinning tail. :wink:

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Wed, 6. Feb 13, 13:32

It is not that bad - capital ships in X2 are much smaller than in latter games.
Right on commander !

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Wed, 6. Feb 13, 13:48

Geek wrote:It is not that bad - capital ships in X2 are much smaller than in latter games.
+1

A PSG/IonD Titan in X2 was always fun to play as was a 100% IonD Ray.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Tonedude
x4

Post by Tonedude » Wed, 6. Feb 13, 14:02

Geek wrote:
Tonedude wrote: So 2xIonD's + 1 APPC in a turret to chip away at the hull? or maybe have a docked fighter for the same role?
PPC bullets are slow, like most standard guns in X2. You may kill what you intend to capture.
ID+MD seems the only choice if you really want to use a M2 in that role.
Of course, that means staying close to the target, so it will not be easy.
Good point - PPC's are quite slow and if it's best to use a MD then that will rule out a Ray as it can't mount them. Maybe you can use a GPAC or GIRE instead coupled with the 2 ID's?

Also manouvering in a M2 in X2 is easier than in later games due to:
Geek wrote:It is not that bad - capital ships in X2 are much smaller than in latter games.
That's true, also the manouverabilility of the Titan is superior than a Ray. The only thing a Ray can do better than a Titan (asides from any preference to looks) is that it can mount ID's in all turrets, can hold one extra ship and can move faster, am I missing anything else? Of course the Titan is more versatile overall with weapon loadouts and manouverability and has a healthier cargo bay.

But is 15 million more expensive..see what I mean guys?

I think I will probably go with the Titan (probably change my mind again in 2 minutes). I've always wanted a Titan ever since I saw the Argon One not long after getting the game :) (has it really been 9 years?)

I make my money through mobile mining so my money I have to work for, and any significant purchase is more profound as a result. I don't switch on SETA and leave it on overnight (nothing wrong with that - each to their own) but that's not how I like to roll, feels more rewarding that way.

If I decide to get a Ray I have enough money to fully kit it out now, but if I go for a Titan, I need another 20 million or so (which actually won't take that long)

Hence my dilemma.

Cheers all for humouring me,

Tony.

EDIT: Forgot to add that an all IonD Ray will slowly destroy all equipment in the ships it's attacking so they will eventually become 'toothless'. Amusing thought!

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Wed, 6. Feb 13, 17:25

Tonedude wrote:Maybe you can use a GPAC or GIRE instead coupled with the 2 ID's?
2 ID + 1 BPAC (GPAC has a lower range for some reason) might work for the Ray. I never tested this setup though.
EDIT : checked, the PAC speed is terrible... definitely go with Titan and MD.
Right on commander !

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”