[X3 TC] Recommended ship extensions for sector traders

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

MrFiction
x3ap

[X3 TC] Recommended ship extensions for sector traders

Post by MrFiction » Mon, 11. Feb 13, 09:13

A few TS ships are currently doing sector trades with MK3 software. I saw an X3 TC video tutorial were the sector traders were fitted with not only MK3 software but also with a jumpdrive, MK1, MK2, best buy, best sell and triplex scanners. I thought MK3 software made best buy/sell redundant. Right now my sector traders are equipped with MK3 and max shielding. Is it really necessary to add best buy, sell, etc. software?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 11. Feb 13, 09:18

No, it isn't. That software is required for the Manual Trade Run commands so might be useful to have, but they're certainly not needed for Mk3.

Morkonan
x3tc

Re: [X3 TC] Recommended ship extensions for sector traders

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 11. Feb 13, 11:52

MrFiction wrote:... Is it really necessary to add best buy, sell, etc. software?
No. But, sometimes your traders get into problems where they can't find a home for a cargo hold full of a product. They'll send you a message and wait for you to tell them what to do. If they're equipped with Best Buy, Best Sell, all you have to do is treat them like a Manually Operated Remote Trader until you solve their problem, then you can reactivate their UT status. (Though, problems with UTs like this don't happen frequently.)

For myself, every ship gets everything... I got tired of trying to tailor every loadout. So, every ship in my game gets all the software it can equip, just so I don't have to mess with fine-tuning them or having to remember which software does what, when. This is one game that would benefit enormously from "templates."

MrFiction
x3ap

Post by MrFiction » Mon, 11. Feb 13, 12:18

Thanks for the tips. Right now I don't have enough credits to pimp out every ship with everything but that would be a lot easier, although not necessary.

How about triplex scanners, will that help "MK3 pilots" to avoid pirate attacks more often?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 11. Feb 13, 13:16

Have a read of this. It covers most Mk3 questions. There is also a helpful FAQ. Unlike CAG/CLS from the Bonus Pack, other additional extensions do not affect Mk3 AI trading but could be useful if you have to do a manual intervention for any reason.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Mon, 11. Feb 13, 14:46

MrFiction wrote:How about triplex scanners, will that help "MK3 pilots" to avoid pirate attacks more often?
No. consider that a lot of "your trader meets foe"-situations will not 'interrupt' your traders action, just because the AI-ships are not set to attack "nearest target" or similar. There is no interaction between an MK3-Universe Trader and the enemy ship(s) even in those cases where they have a "closed encounter".
On the other hand the Turret-fire of Pirate- or Xenon-patrols may hit your freighter which provokes him to send out some drones - and the problems begin (that's why I would prefer an option that MK3-Traders are forbidden to equip themselves with Drones).

In other words: it does not depend on the scanner-range if your trader evades incoming fire of enemy-ships.

There is only one exception though: If one of your ships enters a dangerous sector (e.g. Xenon Sector) a Triplex Scanner might help to stay undiscovered in that esctor. I think that the Standard-Xenon-Scanner is somethin in between Duplex and Triplex: they react for targets out of Duplex-range, but they will not react in the most remote range of a Triplex-Scanner. But you will only be able to use this when you control your ship remotely in the NavMap.

PerfectStranger

Post by PerfectStranger » Mon, 11. Feb 13, 18:24

OP , I did not see you mention max engine or steering .

From what I have read its not a bad idea either and I intend to always max the efficiency attributes on all trader ships .

PS

FlyingElvis
x4

Post by FlyingElvis » Mon, 11. Feb 13, 20:03

It's also not a bad idea to max out cargo if you can afford it. Otherwise the ST/UT trader will do it itself and maybe not when you would want them to.

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Tue, 12. Feb 13, 08:28

No, they don't. They 'optimize' it, but won't maximize. They are smarter than us :) (yes, I maximize it too, normally) because the last about 15% of cargo space are much too expensive to be profitable.

At long term you get out more profit out of a fab (e.g. Swamp Plants, Sunflowers, Soyabean etc. or an Ore Mine) than out of the last ~15% of cargo space for a SF - at the same price.

MrFiction
x3ap

Post by MrFiction » Tue, 12. Feb 13, 11:23

@zazie: a few days ago one of my ST was attacked by pirates in Power circle. I had it docked at a station and it's still there docked, while three pirate ships stay in power circle near the ship. Probably waiting for it to undock. So that's why I thought my ship could avoid pirates, i.e. stay at a range but if I read your post correctly a scanner does not help in this case.

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Tue, 12. Feb 13, 12:26

Yes, it's not the Scanner.

But are you sure that you do not have the Bonus Pack installed ? With BP traders will not move out of their station even if the ennemy is 350 km away somewhere over the ecliptic.

"Normal" UTs will - after a emergeny jump - restart their job (and eventually walk into death) after some time.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”