Not much of a fighter, but I need to kill this destroyer

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Timsup2nothin

Not much of a fighter, but I need to kill this destroyer

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sat, 16. Feb 13, 20:03

I've played a lot, but I've always been more of a peaceful trader type. Now I've started a game intending to be more forceful, and also more plot line oriented. Started with the Terran Defender, figuring I would do the Terran plot (progressing nicely so far at one mission per game day), then probably the Goner plot since they are close neighbors.

So on my first entry into Elysium of light, while I was just in the second game day charting territory stage, I see the kh'ack full scale random invasion has indeed landed on the Goners. I thought at the time that this was going to be interesting, because I didn't think there is any military response set up for that sector. As it turns out, two game days later, I went in there on a ship retrieval and I think I am partly correct.

The Argons send in patrols, and have apparently dispatched all the extraneous fighters. I watched one getting terminated by the two destroyers in passing and cleaned up the missiles. The kh'ack don't seem to care about the Goners, but the two destroyers would be a real inconvenience to doing the Goner plot.

I'm still my usual trade empiring self, so by the time I finish the Terran plot I should be able to afford whatever I want in the way of an armed response. What would be best for dispatching these bugs?

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Sat, 16. Feb 13, 20:13

M8 bomber and a yuck of tomahawks. Capital ship removal tool on the cheap.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 16. Feb 13, 20:13

You may not need to. If this is vanilla TC then the Goner TL and the Argon M6 that is (or will be) defending the sector are both invulnerable (cannot go below 93% hull) and so the M6 should be able to wear the Kha'ak away, especially with you OOS.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Spaten117
x3ap

Post by Spaten117 » Sat, 16. Feb 13, 20:22

Get a m7m, 60 hammers, and 100 flails. Jump the m7m in sector, move to within about 15 km of the m2, fire about 20 to 30 hammers at, then fire 1 flail every three seconds to screen your hammers from the m2 point defense and problem solved.

I don't remember if TC has the missile barrage command, but if it does you can just use that to send about 30 hammers at the m2 instantly and they should get though without the flail screen.

This strat would probably cost about 70 million for setting up the m7m and missiles. If you are looking for a cheaper approach you could just get about 50 squash mines, get the m2 to chase you, and then drop the squash mines in front of the m2.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 16. Feb 13, 21:33

If you're a builder, not a fighter, build a cheap station on top of the M2. =)
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Spaten117
x3ap

Post by Spaten117 » Sat, 16. Feb 13, 22:08

I don't think building a station on top of the m2 would work. But you could build a station and use a tractor beam to drag the station into the m2. I think a mine would work best for this.
I know where the UFO base is. I will tell you for 10 million credits.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sat, 16. Feb 13, 22:27

Cool ideas. Sounds to me like the M8 bomber and gang of missiles is the best balance of safe and economical so I'll probably do that. Actually the drop a cheap station on it is pretty close, and it does actually work, but I always thought it was kinda undignified.

Thanks all!

Fulgrymm
x4

Post by Fulgrymm » Sat, 16. Feb 13, 22:40

Undignified, and hilarious. I get a kick out of doing it to pirates in particular.

inkalsecurity
x3

Post by inkalsecurity » Mon, 18. Feb 13, 13:12

I think the least expensive destroyer-killer is a batch of 20 lasertowers in a TS or a Chokaro TM. This method needs some accurate timing, but is easy and quite safe (especially with the Chokaro, with 400mj of shielding)
Fly straight for the target, then around 6.5 kms drop all towers. 20 towers will eat a destroyer in about 20 secs. Looks cool, too. :)
You can also pick up the towers with little work, so this unit is reusable, not like the bomber method, which will consume a lot of expensive missiles.

Hope this helps. :)
Always outnumbered - never outgunned

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Mon, 18. Feb 13, 16:34

Mamba Vanguard with flamethrowers. Or Cutlass. These two ships are able to kill anything. Just takes a lot of time. And it´s god damned hard to learn the dodge manuavers and weakspots of ships.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Mon, 18. Feb 13, 16:45

inkalsecurity wrote:I think the least expensive destroyer-killer is a batch of 20 lasertowers in a TS or a Chokaro TM. This method needs some accurate timing, but is easy and quite safe (especially with the Chokaro, with 400mj of shielding)
Fly straight for the target, then around 6.5 kms drop all towers. 20 towers will eat a destroyer in about 20 secs. Looks cool, too. :)
You can also pick up the towers with little work, so this unit is reusable, not like the bomber method, which will consume a lot of expensive missiles.

Hope this helps. :)
Wow. Reusable. Gotta like that!

Rhox
x4

Post by Rhox » Mon, 18. Feb 13, 17:01

Spaten117 wrote:I don't think building a station on top of the m2 would work. But you could build a station and use a tractor beam to drag the station into the m2. I think a mine would work best for this.
This technique, also known as "station bombing", definetely works. It is a quite cheap way to get rid of way superior foes. All you need is a TL (may even be hired) and some cheap stations.

best regards,
Rhox
"Warnung: Frachtraum ist.....Frachtraum enthält nun: Khaak Zerstörer" -"Cool!"

http://www.seizewell.de - die ultimative deutsche Ressource zur X-Reihe
http://www.x-lexikon.xibo.at -ein deutsches Wiki zur X-Reihe

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”