How do you cap a target with PBG? (Plasma Burst Generator)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bill Huntington
x3tc

How do you cap a target with PBG? (Plasma Burst Generator)

Post by Bill Huntington » Mon, 18. Feb 13, 17:59

I like capping the small ships. Early in a game, I work myself up to an M3, and then cap other M3s for sale. The biggest challenge I have is an M3 with PBGs (Plasma Burst Generators).

How do you deal with a target that has PBG?

Here is how I do it: can’t play nice or fine tune, hit him hard from the beginning. Start with a firing pass while strafing with two keys. Don’t stop firing or even change keys until hull is 86% or less. If you take the hull past 86, it’s okay. Allow recovery time, then make highest speed firing pass while strafing. Keep the pipper on target. Use button one with heaviest weapons until shields gone. Next pass use button two with capping weapons like IRE. I use these figures for recovery time: 3 x 25 target shields, let target recover to 20% shield; 2 x 25, 30% shield; 1 x 25, 40% shield, maybe 50%. 5 MJ shields, 80% shields. I use target shield recovery since I don’t have access to timing numbers. These figures are tested through many, many games.

When you get an M6 like the Hype, you can take some punishment, and you get the bigger ship bonus.

Pilots, how do you deal with PBG?
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 18. Feb 13, 18:19

I only allow one pass before I get and stay on the target's tail. If there are multiple enemies, I deal with the other ones first, usually from a distance with missiles. Once I get on the target's tail, I either cap or kill it. Making mmultiple passes against PBG-equipped enemies is like playing Russian roulette with only one chamber empty in your gun. :twisted:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Mon, 18. Feb 13, 19:35

Well, there is always 'go cap someone else'. :)

Okay, I admit there's not much challenge in that.

ApatheticEthic
x3tc

Post by ApatheticEthic » Mon, 18. Feb 13, 20:00

One enemy with a PBG is manageable if you use a faster and more maneuverable ship. If you stay on their tail, you're golden. Multiple enemies with them is pretty much instadeath though.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”