Flying an M2?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Homecsiga

Flying an M2?

Post by Homecsiga » Fri, 1. Mar 13, 21:28

Hi All,

I just wanted to try out my new flagship. I bought a Megalodon and equipped with PPCs an FAAs.

I thought I sit in and take my baby to her first way. Anyway as I sit there I just saw I have no weapon control. I can't see the normal weapon groups nor the weapons. In the weapon menu I can see everything is fitted and if I send her to fight she desroyes anything using her weapon system.

Is this normal in an M2 I can't control the weapons?

Thanks!
-H-

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Fri, 1. Mar 13, 21:39

M2s don't have main laser banks like a fighter or corvette, they're all turrets. You have to set your turret options in the ships command console and then it'll fight for you :)

ApatheticEthic
x3tc

Post by ApatheticEthic » Fri, 1. Mar 13, 21:47

As Kirlack said, there isn't a main battery, there are only turrets. You can take control of a turret by switching first person views though.

Homecsiga

Post by Homecsiga » Fri, 1. Mar 13, 21:51

Yep, they do the job automatically. I just hoped I can handle them manually. It seems I can not take manual control of a turret. :(

Thanks!

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 1. Mar 13, 21:52

You can also opt to man the turrets, yourself. IIRC, the F1 key allows you to switch positions and cycle through turret options.

In this way, you can set your M2's course, then jump into a turret and start firing away. Jump back to the pilot's station to manuever, jump back into a turret to take command of firing, again.

You can issue commands to each of your turrets and have them automatically fire at certain sorts of targets, if you wish. Setting your PPCs to fire at only Capitals, while your FAAs fire at only Fighters, is a good choice. Arm yourself with a supply of Mosquito Missiles and activate "Mosquito Missile Defense" to help take care of the occasional missile threat.

As you can see, there are a lot of options available to you. It's just discovering them that takes some time. :D

Homecsiga

Post by Homecsiga » Fri, 1. Mar 13, 22:15

THANKS!!! :)

I didn't know it's turret control. I thoughts F1 just switches between views. :) Thanks!

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 1. Mar 13, 22:29

Homecsiga wrote:THANKS!!! :)

I didn't know it's turret control. I thoughts F1 just switches between views. :) Thanks!
You're welcome! Go blow up something big with your new ship! :D

(PS: Mosquito Missile Defense is a good idea. Missiles won't bother you very much, but big ones can be nasty. Work on configuring your turrets to your fighting style and choose several different combinations of orders for them, just to get some experience with how they work together.)

aXeldk
x3tc

Post by aXeldk » Fri, 1. Mar 13, 22:32

does mosquito defence work even if you fly the ship yourself?
Life is difficult for the marine stored in the hold of an unaware player

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 1. Mar 13, 22:33

aXeldk wrote:does mosquito defence work even if you fly the ship yourself?
Yes and the Mosquitos do not have to be "equipped" in the missile slot. They will fire automatically from the cargo hold if "Mosquito Missile Defense" is on.

(At least, from what I recall in X3:TC. I don't have AP. Another disclaimer, I fly mostly Terran ships in TC, so have little flight-time with MDM ships and there are substantial differences between In-Sector and Out of Sector missile combat in TC that are not present in AP. In TC, MDM is LESS than completely useless in Out of Sector combat. In Sector, it is useful. In AP in OS combat calcs, things have changed and I believe it to be actually useful, but someone else will have to comment on that directly.)

Homecsiga

Post by Homecsiga » Fri, 1. Mar 13, 22:52

Morkonan wrote:
Homecsiga wrote:THANKS!!! :)

You're welcome! Go blow up something big with your new ship! :D

(PS: Mosquito Missile Defense is a good idea. Missiles won't bother you very much, but big ones can be nasty. Work on configuring your turrets to your fighting style and choose several different combinations of orders for them, just to get some experience with how they work together.)
Thank! I just blown up a Xenon J a few Qs and a Xenon station :)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”