Boron Thresher. Need help choosing best M7 ship...

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

AjRyder
x3ap

Boron Thresher. Need help choosing best M7 ship...

Post by AjRyder » Thu, 21. Mar 13, 09:18

Hi well I have read many threads, all seem to point to the Thresher as the M7 of choice, even though it has weaker shields, it seems to be able to pack quite a punch.

This will be my first M7 in AB... In TC I capped an ATF Aegir, which I loved. However I dont want to cap one as it will be hard getting weapons loaded on it.

So Im looking to buy a decent M7...

So fire away, best M7 in AP to buy is...

Cheers!
Star Trek Phase II watch new episodes now at

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com

My computer is fast very very fast ;)

Follow me on Twitter @Formula1Dragon

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 21. Mar 13, 09:33

I don't think the Thresher is a good choice as a *first* M7 because it'll probably put you off the class for life! It has issues:

a) Enormous size--it's bigger than most M7s and is a juicy target for any fighter swarms you come across.

b) Poor power generation--fit 10 PPCs on the front for that massive alpha punch you're talking about and you'll get maybe 2 shots off before having to wait for recharge, which takes ages.

These two factors together force you into using hit-and-run tactics against capital ships and pretty much running away if you have a lot of fighters to deal with!

A better choice all round is a Shrike. Bigger cargo bay, better shields, still has the good anti-capital capability if you fit Gauss Cannons to the side turrets (which can both fire straight forward), smaller target, and if you really come under heavy assault from fighters you have your own hangar of 8 ships that you can send out to help deal with the problem. Only thing you sacrifice is a small amount of top speed.

Wouldn't recommend any other M7 for a first choice unless you have some means to get IBLs, because those are the only anti-capital weapons they can generally mount.

AjRyder
x3ap

Post by AjRyder » Thu, 21. Mar 13, 09:37

Yeah dont seem to keen on the Shrike, I like a bit of speed on a ship, to go into a battle, and not get beaten by other ships around, fighting for the same target, would mean by the time you get there, everything would have been blasted to kingdom come, so looking for something better TBH...

Was also looking at the Paranid Agamemnon, as this to was a good ship to use, so I have read! Many people raved about it... Although you cannot buy it, so was thinking of the Paranid Deimos.. Which has also got docking and have 6 x 1gj shields...

Ok changed my mind, looks like I am going to go for the Split Tiger...

AjRyder
x3ap

Post by AjRyder » Thu, 21. Mar 13, 11:51

ok now on paper the Argon Griffon Sentinel looks like the best ship, has good speed and great hull and energy regen... However have not seen anyone shouting about this ship.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Thu, 21. Mar 13, 11:54

Speed is less important on M7 (and larger ships) than it is on fighters and corvettes.

"Best" depends on what you want to do with it.

Tiger is great for blowing things up, as is Shrike with its Gauss Cannons.

Panther is a poor-man's carrier.

Deimos is the best balanced all-around M7 -- and the perfect ship for boarding operations due to its ability to mount Ion Shard Railguns (ISR) and Pulsed Beam Emitters (PBE) in the main guns. PBE's shread shields and ISR's are excellent multi-role weapons (fast enough to kill fighters, and reduce the enemy's ability to shoot back at your marines). Deimos's near-M2-class shields can take a beating while suppressing shields during boarding ops.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 21. Mar 13, 12:10

AjRyder wrote:ok now on paper the Argon Griffon Sentinel looks like the best ship, has good speed and great hull and energy regen... However have not seen anyone shouting about this ship.
Check out the weaponry it can mount and you'll see the Griffon can't mount *any* anti-capital weaponry. It's a lovely little ship, don't get me wrong, but its speciality is clearing out swarms of fighters--when Mother turns up in her M2 it doesn't really have many answers for her! (Cue about 53 million people describing exactly how you deal with that situation in a Griffon using some combination of docked fighters and/or missiles... :wink: ).

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Thu, 21. Mar 13, 12:28

The Griffon doesn't need anti capital weaponry when in player hands. CIGs and IPGs are more than enough to take most other capital ships with the Griffon. Add to that it's miniscule size and tiny profile and it's a killer player ship.

I'm a huge fan of the Shrike. There have been so many threads regarding the 'best' M7 over the last few years and there's never been a conclusive 'winner', which just highlights the quality of the class as a whole.

AjRyder
x3ap

Post by AjRyder » Thu, 21. Mar 13, 12:32

I'm not going to be taking on any M2's on my own TBH, maybe a few pirates... I was looking at the Deimos because of its extra shielding and it can dock fighters.

So Deimos can hold its own in battle better then my other choices of ship so far. The tiger seems weaker in respects more like the Thresher.

So if I go for the Deimos, any idea of weapon load outs? I think I have settled for the strength of the ship.

I have enough credits to buy anything!

Thanks for the advice so far.

AjRyder
x3ap

Post by AjRyder » Thu, 21. Mar 13, 12:39

Kirlack wrote:The Griffon doesn't need anti capital weaponry when in player hands. CIGs and IPGs are more than enough to take most other capital ships with the Griffon. Add to that it's miniscule size and tiny profile and it's a killer player ship.

I'm a huge fan of the Shrike. There have been so many threads regarding the 'best' M7 over the last few years and there's never been a conclusive 'winner', which just highlights the quality of the class as a whole.
Oh damm! See I was thinking the Griffon looked the better ship, being smaller having speed on its side makes it a weapon to be used.

Im really stuck now! :lol:

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Thu, 21. Mar 13, 12:53

"Better" depends... ;)

After you have an M7 and an M7M, then you can "get" any other M7 so that you can try them all yourself. :pirat:

I take out M2's routinely in a Deimos, but pure killing is not the Deimos's strength. Balance and pirating are its strongest points.

For boarding ops (Deimos), I like:
  • Main: 2x PBE 2x ISR 4x CIG 4X EBCG (swap CIG's and EBCG's depending on the mission or target).
    Left and Right: 2x IBL (CIG is OK until you get the IBL's)
    Top and Bottom: 1x FAA 1x EBCG
    Rear: 2x EBCG
The reason for mixing EBCG with FAA is because both are fast anti-fighter weapons, and FAA is very energy-hungry. By using half EBCG's I have more sustained firepower for mains and IBL's.

anneking

Post by anneking » Thu, 21. Mar 13, 13:17

In AP the Griffon was my personal ship, fast (with hidden turnings over 200m/s), and so small nothing could hit it. With flak mounted all round would take out swarms of fighters or produce an impenetrable wall against swarm missiles. Capital ships in X3AP have never been a problem, basically sitting ducks IMO, just call in the M8 bomber and they’re gone in a few minutes.

In TC, my current game, the Shrike is my personal ship, the good shielding and all round turret fire coverage make it a wonderful ship. IBLs upfront (sourced from the Yaki) make short work of M6 and bigger. Can run out of energy quickly if flak fitted all round, so left/right turrets fitted with gauss cannons. Plus I always carry a good load of typhoons and fighters drones for added protection.

AjRyder
x3ap

Post by AjRyder » Thu, 21. Mar 13, 13:39

I thought the griffin would suite my style of fighting TBH... I like to go in heavy and carry on through the ship lmao.

So for me I am going to get the Griffin, I have PLENTY of credits, the stock exchange is so easy, 2 days 100 million ;)

So what would you load on the griffin.

Im going to go buy one right now ;)

Thanks for all your help. Going to find those boxes also to speed it up. It will be amazing!

anneking

Post by anneking » Thu, 21. Mar 13, 16:36

Griffon: CFA at the front, FAA everywhere else, watch the fireworks, it has loads of energy for continuous firing and will tear through most anything :)

I wonder if I can get one in TC? I know at the end of the khaak plot you get one as reward but I like having the khaak around for the challenging gameplay, so not doing that plot.

DiArmada
x3tc

Post by DiArmada » Fri, 22. Mar 13, 10:43

anneking wrote:I wonder if I can get one in TC? I know at the end of the khaak plot you get one as reward but I like having the khaak around for the challenging gameplay, so not doing that plot.
as far as I know, the Griffon you get as a reward in TC is the only one in the game.

AjRyder
x3ap

Post by AjRyder » Fri, 22. Mar 13, 11:27

Well I brought my Griffon. I decided to buy 2 FAA forges as its easier to make my own then waste credits on buying them... As for the IBL's I have 4 on front, which is enough and on the front turret I am going to have 4xCFA...

That seems to be the best load out I can think of, its a shame the weapons are pretty much limited on this. I will also buy the Deimos later on, I have the credits now, however I am just going to play with this for a while as see what I can cap!

Morkonan
x3tc

Re: Boron Thresher. Need help choosing best M7 ship...

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 22. Mar 13, 23:04

AjRyder wrote:...This will be my first M7 in AB... In TC I capped an ATF Aegir, which I loved. However I dont want to cap one as it will be hard getting weapons loaded on it.

So Im looking to buy a decent M7...

So fire away, best M7 in AP to buy is...
I'm curious why the Panther hasn't been pushed as a "First M7." I don't know if AP offers better alternatives or if the Panther has been changed, there. But, in TC, it's the default "go to first M7" and it's hard to argue with its versatility.

Echofinder
x3tc

Post by Echofinder » Sat, 23. Mar 13, 04:11

The Panther took a big hit in weapon energy and recharge rate, and the docking slots were reduced to 20. It's still powerful, but more reliant on its fighter complement to deal damage.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 23. Mar 13, 08:02

Morkonan wrote:But, in TC, it's the default "go to first M7" and it's hard to argue with its versatility.
It might be for you, it certainly isn't for me. Panther isn't really good unless you can get IBLs for the front turret, and those things might as well be made of gold considering how hard it is to get them. I prefer Shrike, as I said earlier.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sat, 23. Mar 13, 08:43

With PBCs being available in AP, I would go for the Cerberus (or the OTAS variant of it - but it lacks cargo space)
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 24. Mar 13, 00:23

pjknibbs wrote:
Morkonan wrote:But, in TC, it's the default "go to first M7" and it's hard to argue with its versatility.
It might be for you, it certainly isn't for me. Panther isn't really good unless you can get IBLs for the front turret, and those things might as well be made of gold considering how hard it is to get them. I prefer Shrike, as I said earlier.
Understood, the Shrike is an excellent ship.

The convenience of having a ship that you can park and concentrate your collection of captured fighters is what I'm thinking about. It all depends on your play style, I suppose. I prefer flying an M6 as my main ship and only rarely jump into a larger one.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”