[X3AP] Headquarters?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Hexakosioihexekontahexaph

[X3AP] Headquarters?

Post by Hexakosioihexekontahexaph » Thu, 28. Mar 13, 00:50

That was unexpected.

I had finished the Albion plot, then did a short NMMC plot and now this Teladi's offering me an Albatross with an HQ in it for 48 million! Bargain!

I need some advice though, please. I'm not exactly sure on how an HQ works, and more importantly (as I can figure out the works later) where to place it.

If someone could give me a quick run through I'd be grateful.

Echofinder
x3tc

Post by Echofinder » Thu, 28. Mar 13, 01:05

Aside from the space, the PHQ allows you to reverse engineer ships to gain blueprints. Blueprints can then be used along with the required resources to build that ship. It can also recycle ships to gain the required resources.

Note that all these activities require time. The larger the ship, the more time and resources are used. Reverse-engineering a ship generates no resources.

Post by Hexakosioihexekontahexaph » Thu, 28. Mar 13, 01:14

Ok, thanks Echofinder, now I know that this is a worth while thing to spill ym credits on.

Any suggestions where to put it? I'm guessing somewhere out of the way with many resources around like ore.

Echofinder
x3tc

Post by Echofinder » Thu, 28. Mar 13, 01:43

It really depends on who you're friendly with. If you're choosing a more belligerent path, you *may* want to avoid sectors that your prey tends to travel through if you want to avoid spending a significant amount of resources defending your HQ (You only get 1 in an unmodded game).

The Hub seems to be a fairly popular sector. Distance to your resources isn't too big an issue if you have enough freighters to move things. In my previous game, my ship material complex was quite far away from my HQ, but I had several CLS freighters tending to it so it was almost a non-issue.

Ripskar
x3ap

Post by Ripskar » Thu, 28. Mar 13, 01:45

The resources it will require are;
E-Cells
Ore
Silicon
Crystals
Rastar Oil
Teladianium
Microchips
Computer Components
Quantum Tubes

So the question is, "where will you put the complex that will produce all of these?"
Do you miss dangerous pirates?
Try leading the target a little more...

ImageCobra Mk. III Cmdr.

Tohron
x3tc

Post by Tohron » Thu, 28. Mar 13, 02:42

Ripskar wrote:The resources it will require are;
E-Cells
Ore
Silicon
Crystals
Rastar Oil
Teladianium
Microchips
Computer Components
Quantum Tubes

So the question is, "where will you put the complex that will produce all of these?"
You can get a good supply of most of these by buying a large ship (TL or frigate) and putting it in the recycle queue. Some ships require more than the usual amount of certain wares (Aamon prototypes use significantly more Microchips), but until you get a feel for the relative demands of the ships you want to make, its better to just rely on recycling.

Personally, I just put my HQ in the Hub for easy access - alternative locations might be asteroid-rich sectors that can produce equipment for the ships you make, or any ship components you need larger-than average amounts of.

Putting it near a shipyard or equipment dock is important - ships made from the PHQ start with no tunings or equipment, so you always need to send them over somewhere to get those - so the farther they have to go, the longer the wait before they're fully operational.

Post by Hexakosioihexekontahexaph » Thu, 28. Mar 13, 18:15

How about this for a relatively cheap HQ Complex? I can add more things onto it as I go, but this could be the starting point.

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r62 ... 1364490771

shameless creature
x3ap

Post by shameless creature » Thu, 28. Mar 13, 19:04

In order to run a sustained production of most ships, you need the following quantities of resources per hour:

1700 Energy Cells
71 Ore
53 Silicon Wafers
53 Teladianium
36 Rastar Oil
36 Microchips
18 Quantum Tubes
18 Computer Components
18 Crystals
18 Cloth Rimes

Your complex lacks a rime production and needs more chip plants, while other production lines are oversized. Here's an example of a complex using the same mines as yours. The ore mine is oversized (you could use a size M mine on an asteroid with a much lower yield), but due to the complex' excess production of energy cells and the low cost of ore mines, it doesn't really matter.

http://i.imgur.com/VZ8Np5j.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/jbJH7ai.jpg
Last edited by shameless creature on Thu, 28. Mar 13, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.

samoja

Post by samoja » Thu, 28. Mar 13, 19:07

shameless creature wrote:In order to run a sustained production of most ships, you need the following quantities of resources per hour:

1700 Energy Cells
71 Ore
53 Silicon Wafers
53 Teladianium
36 Rastar Oil
36 Microchips
18 Quantum Tubes
18 Computer Components
18 Crystals
18 Cloth Rimes

Your complex lacks a rime production and needs more chip plants, while other production lines are oversized. Here's an example for a complex using the same mines as yours. The ore mine is oversized (you could use a size M mine on an asteroid with a much lower yield), but due to the complex' excess production of energy cells, it doesn't really matter.

http://i.imgur.com/VZ8Np5j.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/jbJH7ai.jpg
Rimes are relatively simple to procure, Chips are the main concern.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Thu, 28. Mar 13, 19:08

When you buy the HQ, you will get it with albatross. You can sell the albatross, it´s not that hefty and you can even use the albatross for station building missions.

shameless creature
x3ap

Post by shameless creature » Thu, 28. Mar 13, 19:12

samoja wrote:Rimes are relatively simple to procure, Chips are the main concern.
Yes, but as there is enough silicon / energy available, you can also add a little rime production line and have everything you need for shipbuilding centralized in a single complex.

Ripskar
x3ap

Post by Ripskar » Thu, 28. Mar 13, 19:33

4 Chip plants are what you want, I also produce 25 MJ shields, HEPTs and Thunderbolt missiles so I can arm fighters straight off the bat.

ImageCobra Mk. III Cmdr.

Blue Wraith

Post by Blue Wraith » Thu, 28. Mar 13, 19:34

In TC (which I assume is similar) I put my PHQ in
Spoiler
Show
my own personal sector, from A New Home plot
and that has been awesome.

As for resources, setup the Hub with all the wares required by the PHQ, set their prices to avg - 1 to facilitate direct npc sales, setup a single CAG to collect the rest, then setup a CLS1 to transfer the wares from the Hub to the PHQ. I had a chip complex for the Hub plot, so the CAG is setup to buy from my own stations and that's probably how he gets most of the chips.

At first, I tried using a CAG directly in the PHQ, but that seemed bugged and the CAG permanently stayed idle (in TC). Plus, the Hub seems more appropriate since it sees a lot of traffic, and I didn't want NPCs taking up my PHQ docking ports.

As for limits, I set the CLS to transfer up to the amount of resources needed for an Aran. I have not yet needed more resources than that to make any ship. Even when you have that level of resources stockpiled, the PHQ has left-over room if you want to dump spare energy or something before decommissioning a ship.

It will also dock a lot of ships. I use it to keep all my personal ships and a couple of warehouse Arans (for missiles and gear). I think it will dock 8 or 10 capitals. (maybe 12?)

Since I connected my PHQ sector to the Hub for convenience, and pirates sometimes come through the Hub, I have a Tyr guarding the door. I used to have several Osakas guarding, but they never saw any action, so I reassigned them to patrols.

samoja

Post by samoja » Thu, 28. Mar 13, 19:48

Blue Wraith wrote: pirates sometimes come through the Hub, I have a Tyr guarding the door.
My PHQ is in Tkr's Deprivation (excellent system highly recommend) and i found 3 novas on patroll are quite enough to fight off any hostiles, i once(and only once) saw a pirate Centaur, but sector Split patroll sent a Tiger to deal with it so all my guys had to do was mop up the ecorts, and generally they dealed quite easily with the few incursions i experienced.

Blue Wraith

Post by Blue Wraith » Thu, 28. Mar 13, 20:04

Yeah, I've only ever seen pirates attacking my PHQ once, as I also have patrols inside the Hub. (I'm not overly concerned with upsetting Duke freighters and friendly pirates passing through the Hub.)

I typically just throw M2s at patrols. I setup an Osaka outfitting plex, so I might as well use them. The only smaller ships I keep are an Explorer Kestrel, the Xperimental shuttle, and 2 Fenrirs in my Hyperion. :)

In TC, the PHQ comes way too late in the game though.

Simoom
x4

Post by Simoom » Fri, 29. Mar 13, 01:17

samoja wrote: Rimes are relatively simple to procure, Chips are the main concern.
Could always build a few chip factories of your own; they are very profitable on the side, anyway, so can't hurt to have them. :)

As for keeping the PHQ stocked, it's really as simple as training up a CAG or two using one of your factories and then assigning them to the PHQ. Have the CAGs set to "Shopper" duty, and tell to to stock up the wares to 100%, and you will always have a full stock of everything.

I love to use CAGs for everything; they require pretty much no supervision whatsoever, and will jump all over the universe on their own to find you the best deals. :)

hsung
x3tc

Post by hsung » Wed, 24. Jul 13, 13:17

Can the PHQ:

1. recycle any Terran ships into Anti Matter resources;

2. be connected a complex hub with the complex kit?

-Kulu-
x4

Post by -Kulu- » Wed, 24. Jul 13, 13:23

There is no anti-matter ressource, only the weapons i think. It cant be connected to a complex.

Atkara
x3tc

Post by Atkara » Wed, 24. Jul 13, 13:34

hsung wrote:Can the PHQ:

1. recycle any Terran ships into Anti Matter resources;

2. be connected a complex hub with the complex kit?
1. I don't think so.

2. It can't.
-Kulu- wrote:There is no anti-matter ressource, only the weapons i think.
He propably meant resources for M/AM Warheads (bought a couple of M/AM Warhead factories, then realized he needs additional Terran resources as well?) and hoped he could get them by recycling Terran ships.

Ripskar
x3ap

Post by Ripskar » Thu, 25. Jul 13, 19:00

MREs? If he can get M/AM warhead factories he should be able to buy USC food factories and protein paste facilities.

ImageCobra Mk. III Cmdr.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”