[X3AP] Is there an ultimate limit to how many factories the X3 universe can support?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Simoom
x4

[X3AP] Is there an ultimate limit to how many factories the X3 universe can support?

Post by Simoom » Tue, 2. Apr 13, 00:19

Not sure if anyone's wondered about this...

Basically, everything boils down to Silicon and Ore supplies, right? In the beginning, there's an over-abundant supply of NPC Silicon and Ore mines, as well as energy cells, and not enough NPC factories to utilize those raw resources.

But as the player takes on more and more station-building missions, obviously the demand will start matching supplies.

My question is, is there a point when the demand actually EXCEEDS the raw material supplies in the vanilla universe? I am not talking about player-owned complexes of course, since those can be self-sustaining. I am speaking strictly about the increase in NPC factories from station-build missions.

I know G.O.D. supposedly manages a lot of the supply & demand to make sure there's a balance (somewhat). In a case where there are too many factories and not enough raw material supplies (ore & silicon), will G.O.D. actually create additional ore/silicon mines? And if so, does it use up existing asteroids? Or does it just conjure up asteroids for new mines?

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 2. Apr 13, 00:24

Not sure if the GoD engine adds new mines, but I do know that it never uses existing asteroids. When replacing destroyed mines, for example, such as those in Nopileo's Memorial that get destroyed regularly by pirates, the engine simply respawns the asteroid/mine (using a Paranid TL to deliver the actual mine).
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Simoom
x4

Post by Simoom » Tue, 2. Apr 13, 08:16

Nanook wrote:Not sure if the GoD engine adds new mines, but I do know that it never uses existing asteroids. When replacing destroyed mines, for example, such as those in Nopileo's Memorial that get destroyed regularly by pirates, the engine simply respawns the asteroid/mine (using a Paranid TL to deliver the actual mine).
I see, that's good to know at least (that NPCs won't "Steal" my asteroids. xD )

Would you happen to know if all NPC ore/silicon mines operate at the same yield (as opposed to player-owned mines, which depend on asteroid yields)?

glenmcd
x3tc

Post by glenmcd » Tue, 2. Apr 13, 11:29

Interesting question. I just *had* to put it to the test today :)
I removed all ore mines, silicon mines and SPPs throughout the universe at game start. I SETA'd for 12 hours and then checked the result:
Spoiler
Show
59 SPPs spawned over the 12 hour period (everywhere). Mines spawned but only in the war sectors, Terran sectors and for some reason, spires of elusion, a Boron sector. Many (all?) seemed to be in their original position and size (M/L/XL), and all were "alpha", no beta etc.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”