[REQ] Weakpoints?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

TheCoolSideofthePillow

[REQ] Weakpoints?

Post by TheCoolSideofthePillow » Thu, 4. Apr 13, 03:46

I am looking for a mod that gives weakpoints to larger craft. I would love to be able to re-create a "Death Star Assault" type scenario in which a small group of fighters could take out a large capital ship by focusing attacks on weak points, rather than just through millions of rounds of ammo being dumped into the target.

They don't necessarily need to be physical points on the ship; I don't know if that is even possible, but I do know that items and scripts could be used to selectively disable a target's systems. I am thinking what I am looking for would be like that, but not in a cheat capacity where I can just select anything and press a button to disable it.

Nafensoriel
x4

Post by Nafensoriel » Thu, 4. Apr 13, 04:04

Not sure its possible. The only way Id even guess you could do it with X3TC/AP is linking ships together via spawn and custom control scripts to form one larger ship. Latency would probably kill that idea. Actually no.. Latency and several other reasons WOULD kill that idea.. Explosively.

The engine is actually kinda limited for things like this. :(

Still we have some wizards of code around here.. Could be a way.
"A Tradition is only as good as it's ability to change." Nael

jack775544
x4

Post by jack775544 » Thu, 4. Apr 13, 05:43

No it isn't really possible.
The main problem is since when a ship moves all the weak points have to move with it. And as explained above it would have a slight amount of latency since things like this take time to execute.
Also collision detection would cause a bit of havoc as if there are objects that are to close together it likes to force them apart.

That said it might be possible to do something like that for stations as they don't move, but clipping issues would still be a pain.
1940s - Various "computers" are "programmed" using direct wiring and switches. Engineers do this in order to avoid the tabs vs spaces debate.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 4. Apr 13, 09:41

Nafensoriel wrote: The engine is actually kinda limited for things like this. :(
technically its not the engine thats limited, as it could be easily done in the engine.

its the access to the engine that is limited

TheCoolSideofthePillow

Post by TheCoolSideofthePillow » Fri, 5. Apr 13, 00:00

Like I said, they do not need to even be physical weakpoints on the ship. Taking something like the electronic hijack scripts--where you can take control of a ship by knocking out it's shields then uploading a computer chip item to it and spending a few minutes waiting while keeping the shields under 25%--You could make different ship upgrade items that will target different systems (shields, weapons, engines, etc) and you can "hack" them while dodging bullets.

It might not be as involved or as exciting as shooting an exhaust port only 2 meters in diameter while zipping down a long, narrow trench lined with laser turrets, but it would still give the game a new dynamic. :p

Hell, you could even make it so that if you disable a ship enough, it just kicks the pilot out so you can claim it yourself, then easily repair it by removing your software virus :D

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”