[X3AP] OOS Laser Tower question

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Simoom
x4

[X3AP] OOS Laser Tower question

Post by Simoom » Fri, 5. Apr 13, 15:49

I am thinking about deploying a few dozen laser towers around the gates to Xenon sectors to help my capital ships with OOS defense. However, weapon ranges are typically not taken into account for OOS combat (meaning ships have to be right on top of each other to fire).

I was wondering if this is true for Laser Towers in OOS combat as well? I mean, since they are stationary objects, this would make them pretty much useless right? (in addition to not being able to help each other out)

Bobucles
x3tc

Post by Bobucles » Fri, 5. Apr 13, 15:56

You want the ring of fire mod.

Simoom
x4

Post by Simoom » Fri, 5. Apr 13, 16:07

I've seen that back when I played TC, but I am trying to keep my AP vanilla. :/

Do laser towers have a good weapon's range while OOS?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 5. Apr 13, 16:26

There are no weapon ranges OOS, ships close to a generic 'combat range' and then do the initiative and damage maths in rounds.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

BurningMan
x3ap

Post by BurningMan » Fri, 5. Apr 13, 16:58

around 30-40 lasertowers deployed near a xenon gate are an almost perfect defense and will generally destroy anything that trys to get into the sector in seconds and you will almost never suffer any losses so they are certainly a good way to defend sectors from xenon invasions if you can get your hands on enough lasertowers (pretty easy with a simple complex).

Simoom
x4

Post by Simoom » Fri, 5. Apr 13, 17:46

Alan Phipps wrote:There are no weapon ranges OOS, ships close to a generic 'combat range' and then do the initiative and damage maths in rounds.
Okay, so assuming the laser towers are pretty closely bunched together, they should be able to support each other when enemies show up, right? :) Do you know roughly how far away this combat range is? (since ships coming through gates usually spawn some distance away from the gate itself)

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 6. Apr 13, 10:09

Alan Phipps wrote:There are no weapon ranges OOS, ships close to a generic 'combat range' and then do the initiative and damage maths in rounds.
That is mostly correct... since LT (being static defenses) have a little extra range compared to regular ships.
They are hard enough to use OOS as is...

LT do not use the combat script of ships so the ranges you see in those scripts do not apply.

In TC, LT are basically broken.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”