Unable to play Albion Prelude without Steam

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Oriolus
x3tc

Unable to play Albion Prelude without Steam

Post by Oriolus » Mon, 8. Apr 13, 10:21

I have just purchased the X3 Gold package from GamersGate and installed Terran Conflict with it's most recent updates, and the Albion Prelude expansion. TC works perfectly, but I am unable to start AP with the provided X3AP_n.exe file (which allows to play the game without Steam - I don't have a Steam account). My system is Windows 7 x64

When I try to launch the game, it crashes with an error message which says:
"File not found. (addon\types\Globals)". Reinstalling doesn't help: there is no such folder or file under \addon
Please help!

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 8. Apr 13, 12:22

At a guess either the EXE file is in the wrong place (it should be in the root game folder for X3TC), or you're trying to run it from a shortcut that doesn't have the correct working folder set up (this should be set up to be the same folder that the EXE is in).

Oriolus
x3tc

Post by Oriolus » Mon, 8. Apr 13, 12:29

Thank you for the quick response. The EXE file is in the main folder of the game (where the X3TC.EXE is, and I have also installed the extension to there) and I don't use a shortcut.

The "addon" folder contains the following subfolders:
- Bonus Pack Uninstaller
- Documents
- scripts
- t

So no "types" folder there...

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 8. Apr 13, 12:35

The file doesn't need to exist as such. Many of the files and folders are squirrelled away in the DAT files that sit in the root folder of addon. There should currently be three of those, numbered 01 to 03, along with corresponding CAT files. If those are not there then the game is not properly installed and needs to be updated and/or verified before you can use it. If those files are there then we're back to the working folder not being set up correctly. If you're not using a shortcut then the solution may be to create one.

Oriolus
x3tc

Post by Oriolus » Mon, 8. Apr 13, 12:42

I have reinstalled the X3AP_Bonus_Pack_5.1.0.0.exe and double checked the "addon" folder - but there are no DAT or CAT files there, only the four folders.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 8. Apr 13, 12:45

Er, wait a sec. Have you actually bought and installed X3AP? The X3AP Bonus Pack is the Bonus Pack for X3AP, it's not the add-on itself.

Edit: I just re-read your original post and realised that you stated that you don't have a Steam account. Clearly there is a huge misunderstanding here as you cannot install X3AP without a Steam account. The NoSteam EXE allows you to play it without Steam after installation but it doesn't remove the need for a Steam account entirely. Clearly you've installed the Bonus Pack for X3AP thinking it was the game itself and tried to use just that and the NoSteam EXE. This won't work!

Oriolus
x3tc

Post by Oriolus » Mon, 8. Apr 13, 12:59

I have purchased the X3 Gold package (because of the AP expansion) with the following content:

X3 Gold Reunion
X3 Gold Terran Conflict
X3: Albion Prelude (Expansion Pack)

There is no download link on GamersGate for the AP so I have downloaded X3AP_Bonus_Pack_5.1.0.0.exe from this site. If it is not the expansion itself, where do I find the installer?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 8. Apr 13, 13:04

You cannot download the game from our site. If you bought X3AP from Gamersgate then they should have provided you information on how to obtain it. At a guess they will have provided you with a Steam key.

Oriolus
x3tc

Post by Oriolus » Mon, 8. Apr 13, 13:04

I see... So there is no other solution to this than joining Steam (which I never wanted to) - otherwise this purchase was totally unnecessary?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 8. Apr 13, 13:10

X3AP requires a Steam account for installation and activation. The Gamersgate page for X3AP does state that, though it seems the information is not repeated on the X3 Gold package page. This is clearly a frustrating situation, but it's something you would need to take up with them if you feel that you wouldn't otherwise have made the purchase.

Oriolus
x3tc

Post by Oriolus » Mon, 8. Apr 13, 13:18

Ok, I understand. Thank you so much for your kind help. As an old fan of the X series since the beginning, I really wanted to see this expansion before the X Rebirth comes out. Will that also require Steam to play?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 8. Apr 13, 14:17

Yes X-Rebirth will require Steam. Informative thread from Bernd here.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Oriolus
x3tc

Post by Oriolus » Mon, 8. Apr 13, 14:54

Thank you for the reply. I give up the resistance and install Steam then. :)

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”