Albion Prelude - free view changes?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

rionwt
x3tc

Albion Prelude - free view changes?

Post by rionwt » Thu, 11. Apr 13, 21:03

Ello

Been off X3 for a while and come back to see that Albion Prelude is available as an add on. Could anyone tell me if in Albion Prelude the external free view has been changed at all to make it a little "smoother" to view your ship (maybe with the mouse instead)? as per in TC you could view the external of your ship using the number pad.

Failing that, has one created any mods/scripts that do this over the last many months?

Thanks

Simoom
x4

Post by Simoom » Thu, 11. Apr 13, 21:15

Not that I have noticed - the external camera is still completely fixed and boring for the most part.

If you press Num Pad 0 to cycle through the camera angles, there are two "dynamic" modes that shows your ship doing a fly-by of the camera, but that's about it.

rionwt
x3tc

Post by rionwt » Thu, 11. Apr 13, 21:22

ah, that's a pitty, I'll probably pick it up anyway, there goes another 2 months on station building and more mods>.<

I don't suppose there is any news that a feature like this is going to be in Rebirth by any chance?

Simoom
x4

Post by Simoom » Thu, 11. Apr 13, 21:40

rionwt wrote:ah, that's a pitty, I'll probably pick it up anyway, there goes another 2 months on station building and more mods>.<

I don't suppose there is any news that a feature like this is going to be in Rebirth by any chance?
Funny you should mention - I made a thread about that exact subject a while back. http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=333332

Needless to say Egosoft is very tight-lipped about what any specifics of Rebirth. But glad to know I am not the only one who felt the in-game cameras in the X3 titles were lacking. :P

It's debatable whether or not X3AP is a worthy successor to X3TC - TC felt like a proper, fleshed-out expansion, with a proper story and very poignant, dramatic moments.

AP feels more like one of those light-weight DLCs you pay $6 for. I think AP's biggest weakness (as it stands - because it sounds like they are adding some big things in version 3.0) is the lack of story content. There are only three story missions and they are all extremely short (PHQ and Xenon Hub can both be done in may be 30-50 minutes, without the need to provide a ridiculous amount of rare materials or anything like that). Even the "main story" felt rather anticlimactic and unresolved.... but that could just be me.

As a sandbox game, though, it's not bad - I like many of the gameplay/ship balancing in AP, and as always, several new ships to check out (the new M2+ class ships are pretty sweet - the M7C pocket-carriers on the other hand are... hmm, rather disappointing in my opinion). I don't much care for the new "War Zone" mechanic though - since I am not particularly interested in never-ending combat and all the thing did is effectively making over half-a-dozen sectors unavailable to my trading ships. TC offers a more serene universe for players who enjoy building a trading empire in that regard.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Thu, 11. Apr 13, 22:58

I think many who were disappointed with the lack of story in the first release of AP will be quite happy with the version 3 when released. :D
It has been leaked that there is at least one new sector...this is the result of ^%&*$£%. sorry ,censored...lol

So rest assured that new content will make the game more appealing to all types of players,whether trader ,fighter or explorer. :D

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Fri, 12. Apr 13, 06:02

Yeah that is my only beef with x series. No free camera ~_~.
Oh and ecliptic projector getting axed...
Those two are the only things that rub me the wrong way. Why oh bloody why did they remove ecliptic. :? :cry: :evil:
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Fri, 12. Apr 13, 07:01

I used to use the EP a lot.
I think I noticed it's omission quicker than when I noticed the cockpits gone in Reunion.

But thinking about it...It was not "that" special , as it ws only covering a token part of the sector.
It was not much use for exploring the outer reaches of sectors.
You have the two map views,anyway.So you can easily see if you are going up or down.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Fri, 12. Apr 13, 14:09

The lack of plots in AP will be solved with next update (3.0) as the newsletter and beta version suggest...

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Fri, 12. Apr 13, 21:43

TTD wrote:I used to use the EP a lot.
I think I noticed it's omission quicker than when I noticed the cockpits gone in Reunion.

But thinking about it...It was not "that" special , as it ws only covering a token part of the sector.
It was not much use for exploring the outer reaches of sectors.
You have the two map views,anyway.So you can easily see if you are going up or down.
It made complex build A LOT easier. Didn't really need any mods for it because with ecliptic at least it was easy to line up factories properly without using bizarre incomprehensible methods.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”