[X3AP] Goodbye Sendy Silarn (hello Xenon Q)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

romanidx
x4

[X3AP] Goodbye Sendy Silarn (hello Xenon Q)

Post by romanidx » Mon, 22. Apr 13, 14:41

Or in other words is it possible to board a Xenon Q without casualties ?

Sendy Silarn was one of the first 3 marines I trained to 100 in everything. I sent him over to capture loads of ships including my only Valhalla, but then I decide to take on the Xenon.

So Im in the Xenon Sector next to to Segaris and try for the I. Im in a Kraken and my marines are in a Sirokos.

I send over 25 x 5* all 100 marines (wonder why 4 decide to bail and get shot before checking the various posts regarding boarding and discovering that you can only get max marines +1 into any ship)

But after 2 reloads, I eventually capture the I. Ok I lost 4 marines but Sendy survived. I figure the loss is worth it.

Next the Q, having learnt from my first mistake I only send over 21, but heres the rub - after countless reloads (30+) I only capture the dam thing ONCE with a loss of 4 marines including Sendy. I um and ahh about Sendy but decide that the Q is worth it, so Sendy is committed to marine heaven and I carry on.

Ive read many articles on capturing Xenon ships, watched the youtube videos, but I think many of them relate to X3TC or different versions of X3AP.

So is it possible to cap a Xenon Q without loss in the latest version of X3AP (2.5.3) at time of writing ?

If so how ?

Has anyone ever captured a Q in X3AP without loss?

If they have I will have sent Sendy to his cold grave when I could have saved him. I am full of anguish over this - plainly ;)

Thanks for you're replies in advance.

BurningMan
x3ap

Post by BurningMan » Mon, 22. Apr 13, 16:20

Possible yes, but the chances are extremly slim and the only method is reloading a lot. losing 4 marines to get the Q hurts, but it is not that bad.

In TC you could just save before every Deck the marines cleared and reload if there were losses, but that doesn't works in AP, because the RNG now calculates the whole boarding op right after they breach the hull.

But if you want to honor your beloved marine why not just name the ship he gave his life for after him ;)

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Mon, 22. Apr 13, 16:27

In AP it isn´t posible. However, boarding Q is not worth it, since it isn´t that powerful in player hands. I recommend to board it, get achievement and reload previous save game position.

BTW Please send me a PM and tell me how you boarded the I. What tactics you used. Because I always get wiped out by those torpedo spams :(

romanidx
x4

Post by romanidx » Mon, 22. Apr 13, 16:49

Capturing the I:

1. get rid of any other xenon in the system using whichever method pleses you - missiles, fleet, lasers, combination of these.

2. I sat in my kraken loaded with flails and hammers whilst my sirokos was ordered to follow me.

3. From about 20-25 km away, get the shields down, then order the sirkos to board, as mentioned I used 25 marines, but I reckon you could do it with 21.

4. save

5. Once launched I kept flailing every second or so - hull went down to 60% or so, but I didnt care cos I just wanted the ship.

6. I saved as soon as they hit the hull - I didnt have any casualties on the way in, though I may have been lucky that first time.

7. Saved again once I knew they were about to assault.

8. SETA then wait / fly away - if you dont get the ship reload.

9. My four marines who bailed got shot up but the remaining 21 did the trick for the I.

I dont actually remember them spamming missles on the way in, after the marines hit the hull I had a few sent at me which I had to flail, but that was it.

and yes its a good idea to name the ship in 'Sendy' in memory :)

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Mon, 22. Apr 13, 17:42

So much luck! Thanks anyway. I will use fighter drones to keep shields low. A lot of fighter drones. And some flails.

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Mon, 22. Apr 13, 20:21

Earth ultimatum IV. wrote:However, boarding Q is not worth it, since it isn´t that powerful in player hands.
RE a few at your PHQ and set them up as OOS defence forces for your assets, then come back and tell me she's not worth it ;)

Simoom
x4

Post by Simoom » Mon, 22. Apr 13, 23:36

Earth ultimatum IV. wrote:So much luck! Thanks anyway. I will use fighter drones to keep shields low. A lot of fighter drones. And some flails.
If you maintain a long engagement distance (25+km), you should be able to send the marines over & start the boarding process, then jump away before enemy missiles hit you. I haven't attempted boarding the I yet (been busy hunting Jump Beacons), just speaking from experience boarding M7M's (pretty sure they shot a lot more missiles at me than an I ever could).
Kirlack wrote:RE a few at your PHQ and set them up as OOS defence forces for your assets, then come back and tell me she's not worth it ;)
In terms of manufacturing time by the PHQ, Xenon ships are indeed "worth it" just because they can be built so quickly.

But if finances isn't a problem, then they may indeed be considered "not worth it" - in the sense that neither the Q (nor the I) are the most powerful choice for OOS uses. There are much better (purchasable) ships for OOS patrols, be it in terms of firepower or shielding.

For IS uses, it's debatable. The Q is actually a very average M7 if you look at its stats; its shielding is average and it's outgunned by several other M7's, notably the Split and Teladi offerings. Its speed is the only advantage - but the Tiger has almost identical top speed while being more well-armed. It also has an awful laser generator (if my memory serves, it has the WORST laser generator of all M7's)

The I is no doubt a great ship when flown by the player (barrage ability, great laser & shield generator), but when controlled by the AI I haven't really seen it do anything extraordinary against regular racial M2's. Its shield strength is beaten by the Terran offerings, and it's easily outgunned by the Megalodon. For pure slugging matches between AI's, it's not going to pull any miracles.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Tue, 23. Apr 13, 12:31

You don´t need OOS patrols if you select the right sector for homebase :wink:

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Tue, 23. Apr 13, 13:45

Hmm. I used to think that, but after losing an entire 77 station complex to a trio of pirate M4s (yes, three Pirate Busters managed to wipe out my entire complex), I make a point of setting up OOS patrols wherever I'm based! :p

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Tue, 23. Apr 13, 14:33

My base is in Argon Sector M148.
The gate to Enduring light is reconnected to my HUB.
And my HUB is connected to Xenon core and X596. No security issues! Not a single one, all the time :)

Simoom
x4

Post by Simoom » Tue, 23. Apr 13, 23:41

Kirlack wrote:Hmm. I used to think that, but after losing an entire 77 station complex to a trio of pirate M4s (yes, three Pirate Busters managed to wipe out my entire complex), I make a point of setting up OOS patrols wherever I'm based! :p
Did you go to sleep with SETA on? :P

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”