Add lasers to TS cockpit

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Llewelyn
x3

Add lasers to TS cockpit

Post by Llewelyn » Tue, 30. Apr 13, 19:06

It seemed amusing to me to make a "Q ship" (anyone who doesn't know, look it up in World War II history) using a Mercury, with the cargo space devoted mostly to bigger generators, more shields and faster engines, and of course a bunch of lasers fired from the main cockpit, making it effectively a super-heavy fighter, something near the capability of an M6.

So I copied the Mercury Hauler, made a new ship with a unique ID called a Mercury Raider. All well and good, it has a terran M6 rear turret (simply because I'd already modded that to take the lasers I wanted) and it's supposed to have 8 cockpit lasers, except that it doesn't. I added then in the Tships file, using the Argon Nova cockpit entries as a guide. But they don't appear in-game, I can spawn the ship OK and arm the rear turret, but the cockpit lasers don't exist. I noticed that the individual lasers have a number and I made sure that they didn't duplicate anything I can see (the lasers are 1-8, rear turret lasers are 9 and 10 for example). Now I know the Argon cockipt can have lasers, there is only one standard cockpit for most of the the argon ships. I'm not bothered about models or graphics, provided the lasers work.

What am I missing?

Llewelyn
x3

Post by Llewelyn » Tue, 30. Apr 13, 19:16

aha, just found DrBullwinkle's tutorial... I shall try that :D

Llewelyn
x3

Post by Llewelyn » Wed, 1. May 13, 11:13

Kind of made it work. However I get silly answers from autopilot and the external views - external view is about 500m away or something, and autopilot is incapable of flying it though gates. Also aiming is not all it might be.

Could this be due to positioning of the invisible weapons in the scene file? I used the code from DrBullwinkle's tutorial, so chances are it's for a larger ship than the Mercury, I think that example file is for one of the M2s.

If so, what do the numbers mean and/or is there s simple way, without a 3D editor, to get the weapons in a credible place?

Llewelyn
x3

Post by Llewelyn » Wed, 1. May 13, 20:30

Sorted it. I used the values for the Argon Centaur's gun mounts, and then I could see what was going on - a further adjustment and the lasers fire from the front of my Mercury Raider :)

It's running with 4 gamma Kyon and 4 Ion shard, which makes the energy use slightly better. gamma Kyons do lovely amounts of damage but they eat energy, while the Ion shards do good shield damage for less energy use.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”