AP Shady Business and Rebirth

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Should I buy X3 AP Shady business or wait for Rebirth?

X3 AP Shady business
77%
Wait for Rebirth
23%

Total votes: 44

Smart_Bomb
x4

AP Shady Business and Rebirth

Post by Smart_Bomb » Mon, 20. May 13, 09:27

I just have a quick question for your opinions.

Should I buy X3 AP Shady business or wait for Rebirth?

I cant play X3 TC with latest patch because to me its kinda stale with how many hours 'Ive put into it. Is AP SB really that fresh and fun or is it semi-recycled with a few new interesting but not wow inspiring features?

PS: I DLed and used the mod X3 Re-balance Mod, Total conversion to add to the intensity of the game. I know the game is meant to be a sort of sand-box mode, but I like to be able to do what ever I want and everything while ALOT is going on at the same time.

Thanks all!

(please read my second post)
Last edited by Smart_Bomb on Mon, 20. May 13, 20:24, edited 1 time in total.
- Please check out & vote on my X4:F expansion idea thread

[ external image ]

elexis
x4

Post by elexis » Mon, 20. May 13, 09:33

Well there is no ETA on rebirth at this time. If you like the plots then X3AP ma be worth it, otherwise you may find it a step down from XRM. Also, some of the plots in XRM, including the core one, are disabled by XRM. This shouldn't be an issue for any of the stuff introduced in shady business though.

Smart_Bomb
x4

Post by Smart_Bomb » Mon, 20. May 13, 20:20

Plots are cool and I'm glad the games gives you that opportunity, for me I usually start a few and finish some. Others I start and get lost or can't figure out what it wants me to do nor do I know what I'm getting out of it so it slow progression and get distracted with building and trading.

I love building complexes and setting up supply chains with buyers/sellers and if shady business add more that that aspect or if I get to compete with other corporations then that would be really fun for me and worth it to buy.

In shady business are the corporations AI good enough to play on par with a human player? Meaning if I start out producing and selling a corporation will they send fleets of ships to try to blow up my complexes, merge with me, or send there traders to buy up at my firesale prices and take them back to there own stations to sell them at there own? Will corporations build there own complexes with the size mattering on the size and wealth of the corporation?

[ external image ]

eldyranx3
xr

Post by eldyranx3 » Mon, 20. May 13, 22:21

Smart_Bomb wrote:In shady business are the corporations AI good enough to play on par with a human player?
Spoiler
Show
The scripting for the Corporate Reprisals in Shady Business is very simple. There is no connection to the local economy. Fleets simply spawn, independent of the number of goods any given faction has. The type of interaction you are looking for requires a much more complex solution.

The fleets -will- attempt to cripple your industrial complexes, attack your HQ, or even come after your command ship. It's not something that Egosoft likes to do, but the AP-CP team thought it would give the player a nice change of pace.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Mon, 20. May 13, 23:09

In the new plots, there are are a number of choices that make a difference to your game.
Thus you can do the plots in different ways for different results and gameplay, depending on which rewards you want to look at.

For once, the plots are not totally linear.
Your choices really do effect how the rest of the game plays out.

Even as far as the war sectors goes...
Spoiler
Show
you can choose peace or continued war

tuskenus
x3tc

Post by tuskenus » Tue, 21. May 13, 00:27

I don't know about fresh, but it's fun. There is a slightly larger universe, some new ships, some interface and gameplay improvements, but on the whole it's not like it's a whole new game - if you plowed hours into TC, and want something to fill that hole until Rebirth comes out, you could certainly do worse, tho.

If I compared the cost of the 3 X3 games to the hours of game play I've gotten from them, they're without a doubt the cheapest entertainment I've gotten since I discovered my own genitals.

eldyranx3
xr

Post by eldyranx3 » Tue, 21. May 13, 04:33

tuskenus wrote:... they're without a doubt the cheapest entertainment I've gotten since I discovered my own genitals.
A X-Universe signature in the making ...

Klo_Kla
x3ap

Post by Klo_Kla » Tue, 21. May 13, 06:11

Buy it, Albion prelude is just $9.99. Moreover it is on sale on Steam till tomorrow for $6. Price wise - I think it is a lot of bang for a buck.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Tue, 21. May 13, 06:17

Smart_Bomb wrote:are the corporations AI good enough to play on par with a human player? Meaning if I start out producing and selling a corporation will they send fleets of ships to try to blow up my complexes, merge with me, or send there traders to buy up at my firesale prices and take them back to there own stations to sell them at there own? Will corporations build there own complexes with the size mattering on the size and wealth of the corporation?
Shady Business itself will do a little bit of that but, if you want more, then Litcube's Phanon Corporation is one of my favorite additions to the game. I use it in every new game start because it adds "competition" that is otherwise lacking in the game.

As for your larger question of whether Shady Business is a good investment: Yes, it is. AP has always had some good features that are hard to resist after playing TC. Now, with AP 3.0, there are some great plots, as well.

Smart_Bomb
x4

Post by Smart_Bomb » Thu, 23. May 13, 18:41

Thanks DrBull that is exactly what I was looking for. I bought AP so I will try this out!

[ external image ]

masternerdguy
x3ap

Post by masternerdguy » Sat, 25. May 13, 03:37

Oh my, that mod looks awesome! I'll have to try that at some point.

It could be cool in the future if there was an official game start with a rival corporation in it, that could be very difficult.

Smart_Bomb
x4

Post by Smart_Bomb » Sat, 25. May 13, 19:13

of course now AP wont install, I have to open a ticket with steam lol

[ external image ]

Smart_Bomb
x4

Post by Smart_Bomb » Sat, 25. May 13, 19:15

masternerdguy wrote:Oh my, that mod looks awesome! I'll have to try that at some point.

It could be cool in the future if there was an official game start with a rival corporation in it, that could be very difficult.
Or a multitude of corporations, some friendly some neutral, some hostile and depending on how you interact with all of them changes there own behavior , wealth , and trading empire.

[ external image ]

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”