M3 Advice and missiles

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Damian Swift
x4

M3 Advice and missiles

Post by Damian Swift » Thu, 23. May 13, 01:41

New back to AP and fter a little time working the stock market i thought i'd do some exploring and a little pirate hunting in a fast, deadly and fun M3/M3+ (I have about 10m to play with)

Was thinking Venti with EBC's and PRG in the turret (from memory)
But I have no idea about missiles...
Silkworms? or maybe wasps?

All advice apreciated

tbwen
x4

Post by tbwen » Mon, 3. Jun 13, 15:40

I'd do wasps against M5's through M3 and Silkworms against M3 through M8's. The swarm and speed of wasp is great against those pesky fast fighters, but they won't do much damage (up to 8k) against slow heavier targets. The silkworms only go up to 190m/s, does 19k damage.

Imgran

Post by Imgran » Mon, 3. Jun 13, 15:56

If you have a Venti, go for it, that sounds like a winning loadout.

If you're strictly attacking fighters, I'd stick with the wasp. You might have to launch a couple of them against an M3, but they're the only missile to use against an M5 because an M5 can outrun a silkworm.

I would pack a few 'worms just in case things get interesting though

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Mon, 3. Jun 13, 17:10

Personally prefer Hurricane to Wasp for dealing with M5 class targets. Same speed but they deliver their payload in a single 6k hit, generally enough to instantly obliterate most M5s. Don't really need swarm missiles against M5s since few of them have turrets. Hurricane is also half the size of Wasp so you can carry a lot more of them & they have a much longer range (29km compared to 18.1km for Wasp).

Only significant downside is no NPC factories make them so need to either scavenge them after a battle or build your own factory, but it's not horrifically expensive to do that (less than 2.5 million). The factories are sold at the Paranid shipyards in Heaven's Assertion & Third Redemption.

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Tue, 4. Jun 13, 14:55

The Wasp missle is fairly widespread, so you can pick them up in a few places without having to build your own complex or factory. I find that two or three at the start of an encounter are often sufficient to even the odds enough that I can concentrate on the main threats, rather than have to divert my attention to deal with a horde of pesky M5s pecking away at me from behind.

I hate changing the settings on my rear turrets from "missles only", because any time I do so, the opponents start spamming missles in quantity, and the turrets tend to get sidetracked following the fighters instead of knocking out the missles.

Berserkenstein
x3tc

Post by Berserkenstein » Tue, 4. Jun 13, 18:11

Wasps are decent for smaller fighters.

Tempests are probably the best missiles for other m3s, the thunderbolt hits harder but doesn't reacquire targets like the tempest.

If you outfit your ships with tornados, they can put a serious dent in the larger ships.
I'll see you on the other side!

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Tue, 4. Jun 13, 19:13

Roguey's missile guide is pretty good. I recommend reading it.

Lone Jedi
x3tc

Post by Lone Jedi » Tue, 4. Jun 13, 19:32

When I choose missiles I always consider the hit rate. I believe missiles are already overpowered, if someone spams them to foes everything would get killed easily, too easily. Spamming hundreds of Typhoons or Wraiths and watch the sector cleared in a matter of minutes is such a great scene, but too easy.

For this reason I would only fire a few of them when I believe there will be a decent chance to hit, and leave the main fighting to the guns. For the same reason I would choose Hurricanes over WASP anyday. As mentioned above, Tempests are one of the best missiles as they automatically acquire new targets when the old ones die.

In my current AP game I've been trying to keep the missile hit rate at above 90%, not to prove anything, just to try to restrict myself not to spam those missiles.
I live in my Vidar.

Laser hit efficiency: 97% @190,499 shots
Missile hit efficiency: 97% @4,204 missiles fired

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 4. Jun 13, 19:36

GCU Grey Area wrote:....Hurricane is also half the size of Wasp so you can carry a lot more of them...
You might want to check your source again. Hurricanes take up 2 cargo units, while Wasps take just one. :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Tue, 4. Jun 13, 20:27

Nanook wrote:
GCU Grey Area wrote:....Hurricane is also half the size of Wasp so you can carry a lot more of them...
You might want to check your source again. Hurricanes take up 2 cargo units, while Wasps take just one. :wink:
Source of data was in-game info (checked the contents of my ship's cargo hold). Stats quoted for Hurricane & Wasp in my previous post are accurate for AP 3.0, previous versions and/or games may differ.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 4. Jun 13, 20:51

Interesting, because Roguey's site for AP also lists the Hurricane as 2 units and Wasps as one unit. Is Roguey wrong? If so, I wonder why the devs would change it? Or are you perhaps running a modded game? :gruebel:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

xant
x4

Post by xant » Tue, 4. Jun 13, 21:28

I just checked (vanilla AP 3.0) and Hurricane are indeed size S and volume 1, so he is right.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 5. Jun 13, 19:54

Actually, Roguey's is wrong on two counts then. The Hurricane in TC takes up 3 cargo units. And my excuse for believing Roguey about AP is that I'm still playing TC. :P

Question: Did they also change the power of the Wasps and Hurricanes in AP? Because I don't see the point of increasing the cargo size of Wasps and decreasing it for Hurricanes, given their respective strengths. Overall, the Hurricane is a much more powerful weapon, IMO, because it doesn't miss the target and time out so fast like Wasps do in TC. :?

Damian Swift
x4

Post by Damian Swift » Wed, 5. Jun 13, 20:06

Other post locked :-) :oops:
I didn't realise I had 2 posts going for the same topic
Sorry

bizbag
x3tc

Post by bizbag » Wed, 5. Jun 13, 22:20

Nanook wrote:Actually, Roguey's is wrong on two counts then. The Hurricane in TC takes up 3 cargo units. And my excuse for believing Roguey about AP is that I'm still playing TC. :P

Question: Did they also change the power of the Wasps and Hurricanes in AP? Because I don't see the point of increasing the cargo size of Wasps and decreasing it for Hurricanes, given their respective strengths. Overall, the Hurricane is a much more powerful weapon, IMO, because it doesn't miss the target and time out so fast like Wasps do in TC. :?
I imagine they decreased the space for Hurricanes because it's a small fighter-to-fighter weapon, so requiring 3 cargo slots is excessive. Plus, since all ships can defend with Mosquitoes, AND since the Hurricane is a single warhead, it's far more likely to be shot down.

They likely increased the Wasp because it's an equivalent to the Hurricane but is harder to shoot down, and can deal slightly more damage total.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 6. Jun 13, 01:23

Except that the wasp tends to go into evasive mode when chasing a target after the initial flyby, and many of the warheads just time out. At least in TC, I rarely, if ever, would get all eight warheads to hit a target unless it was a big target. Most of the time, I'd get half to hit, and half to time out. And then there's the fact that the Hurricane can do area effect damage, making them great for taking out Kha'ak clusters just as they break up, or killing multiple drones if they're close together.

So again, unless they've upgraded the Wasp and downgraded the Hurricane, I don't get it. :?

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”